Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hreyhrey

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
So why doenst apple introduce fully customizable themes for iphone...

example many people bitch about not being "open" and much of that is in terms of themes and how it looks

now people shoudl be able to purchase and downlaod different themes that coudl drastically change how the lock screen and certain parts of the home

maybe even JUST lock screen I dont mind I have my jailbroken one thats only lockscreen and it looks great

Ay_Zimmy

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
No.. That takes away partially of what Apple stands for. I enjoy how the iPhone presents itself as a whole. Its not about "Open" on the iPhone, you don't really need it either.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You don't need more than what is already there for you. If you want customization, then you jailbreak.

The problem with customization in general is that there are too many apps for designers to support. And there are very little designers who make themes that are even worth sticking onto your iOS devices in the first place. We've been able to do this since the first jailbreak with the original iPhone and there has only been 1 universally appealing theme ever made - Jaku. And that took us until after the iPhone 4 to even have. Otherwise pretty much most iOS customization is junk and nothing looks as good as the basic Springboard.

That last part is an opinion of course, but really. I have seen at least 1,000 themes in my lifetime and could never stick to one. The widgets and add-ons are much better.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
You don't need more than what is already there for you. If you want customization, then you jailbreak.

The problem with customization in general is that there are too many apps for designers to support. And there are very little designers who make themes that are even worth sticking onto your iOS devices in the first place. We've been able to do this since the first jailbreak with the original iPhone and there has only been 1 universally appealing theme ever made - Jaku. And that took us until after the iPhone 4 to even have. Otherwise pretty much most iOS customization is junk and nothing looks as good as the basic Springboard.

That last part is an opinion of course, but really. I have seen at least 1,000 themes in my lifetime and could never stick to one. The widgets and add-ons are much better.

Widgets are awful.

I agree on most themes though. Glasklart was/is great (was so much better back when BossPaper was fully featured [iOS 3]), but I agree Jaku is the best.

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
If Apple have a unified UI on most apps, not the current black (eg Weather), blue (Settings, Safari), Grey (photos) they can introduce like a colour tint option like Windows 7. Keeps the consistent layout with the customisation of colour.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Apple want to stop people from doing this and rightly so.

hello-kitty.jpg

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY

I agree for the most part, but I think that Apple should provide a Gatekeeper like functionality on iOS so that you could install Mobile Substrate without jailbreaking, provide an official (even if not supported) way to "Jailbreak" without having to find security holes.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I'd venture to guess that Themes (as much as I love them) are seen as more trouble than money to Apple.

Jarland

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2006
Personally I'd love to see a bunch of glittery Justin Bieber themed iPhones.

Or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.