Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2006
Anyways, the colleges I've been to won't let you put your own wireless routers in dorm rooms. I don't know why they won't, but they aren't allowed.

I would definitely get an MBA, as long as I had another machine to go along with it. I currently have an MBP that I don't like carrying around with all of my books. Everything just gets too heavy.

A macbook weighs 4.6lbs, correct? That's still a bit for me in my situation.

So, I just bought an iPod touch to take with me to school. So, while I'm waiting between classes, I can check my email, surf the web, organize assignments, etc. That was the best bet for me.

I'm not big on typing notes in class. I think you learn more writing notes down the old fashion way and having access to AOL and the internet was much too tempting, especially when the professor gets a little boring. Have a laptop in class is definitely distracting. I've sat behind many people play solitare, talking to their friends, watch videos online, surfing ebay and those kids are the ones who complain when they get a C.

Appreciated.

Capt. Morgan

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
READ THAT

If 2lbs is such a big deal, you'd be better off using the $500 saved by purchasing a macbook and putting it towards a gym membership.

I think you are confusing ability with desire. On the surface, two pounds is nothing. Until you start doing it on a daily basis. Then, two pounds can be the difference between taking it - or leaving it home.

I work as a pilot and routinely have to carry around about 75 pounds of stuff: luggage with 4-5 days of clothes (work, leisure, and workout), headsets, required charts and manuals, etc. (Next time you are at an airport, notice the what the pilots are carrying.) When I pack for a trip, I often leave my digital camera at home - because of the extra weight! So in this context, a 5 pound computer doesn't make the cut - but three pounds will.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
This might come across as a bit abrasive...actually it probably is...

Quit being such a pansy. your 12 inch vaio is a pain to carry around on campus? poor you. i guess those textbooks that weigh 5 lbs don't bother you as much as having to "drag" that hunk of junk around?

Get the Macbook. The MB is time tested and is easily one of the best laptops ever made. you just can NOT go wrong with it. But...how will you ever deal with the burden of hauling an extra 2 lbs of weight.:rolleyes:

I rarely bring my text books to class, if ever. :cool:

Anyways, the colleges I've been to won't let you put your own wireless routers in dorm rooms. I don't know why they won't, but they aren't allowed.

I would definitely get an MBA, as long as I had another machine to go along with it. I currently have an MBP that I don't like carrying around with all of my books. Everything just gets too heavy.

So, I just bought an iPod touch to take with me to school. So, while I'm waiting between classes, I can check my email, surf the web, organize assignments, etc. That was the best bet for me.

I'm not big on typing notes in class. I think you learn more writing notes down the old fashion way and having access to AOL and the internet was much too tempting, especially when the professor gets a little boring. Have a laptop in class is definitely distracting. I've sat behind many people play solitare, talking to their friends, watch videos online, surfing ebay and those kids are the ones who complain when they get a C.

Appreciated.

Yep, I have a 12 inch ibook and i still don't take computer notes in class. I just prefer to write them down i guess. And you know what's weird, is I rarely actually review them. I think just writing it down makes me remember the material. Go figure. :)

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Question: Do American students just have a few grand sitting around behind their sofa? geeze, when I went off to university I was told "buy it yourself" when it came to my computer.

Kids these days, so spoilt and parents willing to throw around money at the drop of a hat.

Every time a college student buys a computer someone decides to post this. Why do you care?

Keane Fan

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Every time a college student buys a computer someone decides to post this. Why do you care?
Probably jealously. lol. I am in the same position as the OP. My mom wants to buy whatever is best for me. And in actuality, Mac prices are a LOT cheaper than Sony Vaio's which is what I originally wanted. The vaoi I wanted was gonna cost around $3000 so that's why I am looking at macs now in the first place. And seriously, those 2 lbs do make a difference.. and to tell you the truth, I am planning on toting it around in a... pretty expensive tote, and I don't want it to ruin my bag. I tried toting my sister's macbook in it and it's relatively heavy.

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
I would say get the MacBook Air only if you have a room mate that wouldn't mined if you used there computer for your disk drive and if you could get access to the internet wirelessly which I'm confused to if you can or not. If you can't do either of these things, get a MacBook.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
How feeble are you that an extra pound or two is that onerous? Sorry but I think marketing may have you hypnotised. Resistance makes you strong! Get a MacBook for god's sake! The MBA is a cripple, however pretty.
[note, it's late here and honest opinions leak out]

I think it makes sense the MBA would attract College students. Something thats really thin would probably motivate someone to actually use a computer for notes. Something bulky and you'd probably just want to use paper. Closer the keyboard and all is to the desk itself I think is whats attractive.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
I don't really understand the problem with the ethernet adaptor. I guess it must boil down to using the USB port right? You will still have to plug the wire into your computer back at your room, so just leave the adapter connected to the cable. Best solution would seem to leave ALL your peripherals plugged into a powered port. One cable connection and you are set!

C

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
sorry for being a "pansy" then.

but yeah, the main reason I'm interested in the MBA is the weight without sacrificing the screen size. My current vaio is around 5.3 lbs with the battery and the Macbook is only .3 less than that at 5 lbs. not much of a huge difference. But the MBA is weighted at a difference of 2 lbs, and to me, that is quite satisfactory, not to mention the space I would have leftover in my backpack.

see, if I could shrink my textbooks, I would. And if I could shrink my laptop, I would.

I don't think you understand the amount of walking that students do everyday while carrying around school materials. To add to that, I don't have a car like many others do.

anyways, I probably won't get one because it is far too expensive. And if I were to get one, I would have to buy all these other accessories (ethernet adapter, USB hubs, etc.).

You might have a car if you didn't spend 2000 on a laptop. Here in San Diego, you can get a car for 500 bucks, that runs.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
I don't think you understand the amount of walking that students do everyday while carrying around school materials. To add to that, I don't have a car like many others do.

Good for you. Your heart will thank you in years to come. I was in your situation with my campus being spread out all over London. Those books were thick! Get the MBA and never look back. :)

C

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
2lb is really not that much when you consider all the other stuff most students carry around.

It has just one mono speaker and will be very, very tinny.

OMG - You just contradicted yourself on the first line. That's EXACTLY why 2 pounds makes a difference! When you're carrying other stuff! And surely the thinness will help more than a smaller footprint, yet thicker laptop to boot.

Were you at MacWorld auditioning the Air's sound? Or have one in the home cuz you're special? Let me guess..... no.

briantology

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
My vote would be for just a MacBook because you have more options and get more for your money (and don't have to spend as much either). IMO, the Air seems like it's for the Pros or people with a computer or workstation already and want a portable also. Don't get me wrong, the Air is sleek and sexy and thin, but if it will be your only machine, I'd go with a MB.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I won't even get into this whole argument about lugging stuff around college other than to say the MacBook Air is definitely lighter, and if portability is a major factor, it wins that category.

You (OP) seem to be in the same situation as me. I'm likely going to Drexel though which has a fully wireless campus so i shouldn't have to worry about the Ethernet problem. Get a small USB hub to carry around with you so you can plug in an ethernet adapter, iPod, printer, or what-have-you when you need it.

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch

Has nothing to do with people purchasing it; it has to do with the posters PARENTS paying for it. My parents have more money than a bull can ****, but I was told that if I wanted a computer, I buy it myself. Books? I buy myself. Its called being an adult; you're 18 years old, get a part time job and pay your own way, find a flat, and flat with a whole group of friends.

Why is it an issue? because there is a generation of kids out there who don't know the first damn thing about taking responsibility for decisions one makes. If your mummy and daddy pays for everything - when are you going to finally step up to the crease?

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Has nothing to do with people purchasing it; it has to do with the posters PARENTS paying for it. My parents have more money than a bull can ****, but I was told that if I wanted a computer, I buy it myself. Books? I buy myself. Its called being an adult; you're 18 years old, get a part time job and pay your own way, find a flat, and flat with a whole group of friends.

Why is it an issue? because there is a generation of kids out there who don't know the first damn thing about taking responsibility for decisions one makes. If your mummy and daddy pays for everything - when are you going to finally step up to the crease?
Did you also have to walk to school uphill both ways in the snow?

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
1 powered USB hub and the ethernet adapter solves all problems. 1 plug and POOF done.

Student price for the MBA is 1699 btw ... for anyone who doesn't know that. If it even matters. :)

GL though

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004

Someone sounds bitter. Dude lighten up, if his parents pay for stuff more power to him. It's none of your business who pays for what. :cool:

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX

How do they tell? For me, it'd be essential as I need wifi for iPt, Wii, DS etc. If anything I'd plug my Mac in and use Internet Sharing to broadcast the connection. They can't do a damn thing about that.

I wish! Nov 2007 MacBooks weigh 5.0lbs, their older brothers weigh 5.1 lbs... yet to reach the <5lb category.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
What major are you? Many science and engineering majors oftentimes find that they have to install additional software in order to go through with their education. These softwares can be very taxing, but if you don't mind slow speed than a MBA would be perfect for you. If you do mind it, a MB or MBP might be better.

If you have the money to upgrade the MBA's hard drive, than I would say go for that. Otherwise, the default hard drive might give you more headaches than it is worth.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
What major are you? Many science and engineering majors oftentimes find that they have to install additional software in order to go through with their education. These softwares can be very taxing, but if you don't mind slow speed than a MBA would be perfect for you. If you do mind it, a MB or MBP might be better.

If you have the money to upgrade the MBA's hard drive, than I would say go for that. Otherwise, the default hard drive might give you more headaches than it is worth.

A 1.6Ghz Core 2 Duo is going to be a boatload better than the majority of education software sysreqs. I doubt the guy is taking engineering if he's considering a MBA.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
How do they tell? For me, it'd be essential as I need wifi for iPt, Wii, DS etc. If anything I'd plug my Mac in and use Internet Sharing to broadcast the connection. They can't do a damn thing about that.

It's pretty easy to tell from the IT end. They won't care if it doesn't affect other computers on the network, but if any student complains of speed or connection issues, it's a simple job to check for things like user-end wireless nodes. If they're in violation of network policy, you could easily lose internet access. Not worth it, really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.