Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
I'm trying to install Mac OS X DP2 on my Lombard, onto one of the two 5.5GB HFS+ partitions I set up in Drive Setup on OS 9.
16426530405092882102227194044613.jpg
Well... OS X isn't having any of it. The only thing it wants to try to install to is the CD itself.
IMG_20220119_200939273.jpg
I'm guessing this is a jumper thing? I don't have the included jumper installed, and if I'm being honest, I have no idea where it went. I found it and just installed it, hopefully that works. Am I right about that? Any help is appreciated.​

Last edited:

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
I'm trying to install Mac OS X DP2 on my Lombard, onto one of the two 5.5GB HFS+ partitions I set up in Drive Setup on OS 9.
View attachment 1946838
Well... OS X isn't having any of it. The only thing it wants to try to install to is the CD itself.
View attachment 1946839
I'm guessing this is a jumper thing? I don't have the included jumper installed, and if I'm being honest, I have no idea where it went. Am I right about that? Any help is appreciated.​
Why?

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
I'm assuming you're asking why I want to install X DP2. The answer is that I wanted to play around with it, and the Lombard was the only compatible computer I have on hand; Oddball is in storage for the time being. If that wasn't your question, my apologies.​

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
A curious person doesn’t ask, “Why?”.

They ask, “Why not?”
Fortunately I've not ever really had to be curious on my own. The people around me growing up were able to answer all the "Why not" questions when they went for it and put their bodies on the line. They never even considered the question, just went for it!

The usual result was "That's why not".

Knowing people who enthusiastically strived to dominate the competition for the Darwin awards just reinforced my own sense of self-preservation. :D

Fortunately I've not ever really had to be curious on my own. The people around me growing up were able to answer all the "Why not" questions when they went for it and put their bodies on the line. They never even considered the question, just went for it!

The usual result was "That's why not".

Knowing people who enthusiastically strived to dominate the competition for the Darwin awards just reinforced my own sense of self-preservation. :D

I was thinking more around of the pursuit of knowledge based on trying out something (you know, for skyence) and less some DIY take on the old series, “Jackass”. :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I was thinking more around of the pursuit of knowledge based on trying out something (you know, for skyence) and less some DIY take on the old series, “Jackass”. :)
Curiously, those I knew weren't curious about knowledge. Strange how they seemed to prefer excruciating physical pain in doing useless acts over the mental labor of acquiring something that would actually be useful to them.

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
View attachment 1946838
View attachment 1946839
I'm guessing this is a jumper thing? I don't have the included jumper installed, and if I'm being honest, I have no idea where it went. I found it and just installed it, hopefully that works. Am I right about that? Any help is appreciated.​
Sorry , do you mean Mac OS X 10.0 DP2 Kodiac ? this one ? :
(2nd download)

From the title of the thread, you want to install on a CF card ? I'm not sure DP2 can recognize CF cards :/
But I know for sure the OS X Server 1.2 from which these DPs were developed can't see a CF card... So maybe it wasn't implemented yet on DP2...

Edit: ahhh saw your response about the jumpers :) so it was...

Reactions: lepidotós

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
@Amethyst1 So far, Mac OS 9, X DP2, and OpenBSD have all seen CF cards as a normal hard drive. The last one has been giving me nothing but trouble from it timing out though, which has been eating up the last 16 hours because it stalls out usually while installing base70 and no matter how long it's left for will never resume progress.​

Last edited:

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
Here it is, all booted up.
IMG_20220120_210521016.jpg
IMG_20220120_210657549.jpg
And here is OpenBSD just dying when I try to install it on the SanDisk Extreme 64GB UDMA7 card. It will never resume. I let it go for eight hours while I slept and it was still timing out every single time, not a byte more was written in that whole time. It always* stalls out on base70, but not always at that percentage. It's installed as little as 6% and as much as 99%. I have lost now probably an entire day of my life to this. It seems the adapter is just randomly dying every time, not accepting any input or output after a random point in time.
*There was one time that it did get to 100% and fully installed, but it was with HFS and I ended up not being able to use it. More info on Tinker Different.​
IMG_20220120_204345973.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.