Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
It sounds like it is soooo close. It will suck if I get my new PowerBook delivered by the end of the week and I end up having to buy Panther a day later for full price. At least it'd be worth it...Panther looks to be so awesome.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
when are they going to "announce" Panther?

Will they wait until the software reaches GM, meaning that it will ship within days of the announcement?

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Yeah, I'm really perplexed by the whole lack of a release date. It seems the new Panther seeds are getting to be just days apart now. You'd think it would be out really soon. I'm with pretty much everyone else on the boards here -- I can't wait till its released! :p

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
West Sussex, UK
Panther is looking really really great now. I've just upgraded my iBook 500 to 7B68 and the speed is incredible compared to 10.2.6! Even window resizing is now largely tolerable. Xcode is also looking very very good. I just wish Panther worked with my flashed PC GeForce 2MX card in my PowerMac G4.

tibor

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2003
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
It will suck if I get my new PowerBook delivere by the end of the week and I end up having to buy Panther a day later for full price.

That's exactly what I'm guessing will happen.

Apple has thousands of dual G5 orders still in the pipe, right? And if they release Panther before all those orders are out, they'll have to install it on these machines. If they release Panther shortly after getting those orders out, they'll have to give those folks the discount price instead of charging full price.

Apple is a business, and wants to make as much money as it can. Therefore it seems reasonable that they'll delay Panther until they feel they can charge all the new dualie G5 folks full price.

It would be silly for Apple to not do this. That also explains why they've only given "this year" as a release date. The final date depends not only on the software, but on rectifying the dual G5 backlog as well.

The good news is that hopefully the extra time means that Panther will be a little faster, a little less buggier.

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
Is it just me, or is Divx completely messed up in Panther now? I get through the boot up progress bar but Finder won't launch unless I take out the Divx codecs.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Does 7B74 (Or 7B68, for that matter) have support for the Canon i70 printer? The first build of Panther that I installed (7A1XX) wouldn't work with it, and was quite buggy, though that was the worst issue for me - Has it been addressed in the more recent builds, or does that depend on Canon updating their drivers?

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
what speed increases are there between panther and jaguar?

I realise this question has been answered countless times before but search gives me way too many threads to check...and I spend way too much time at macrumors as it is :)

the word for the day seems to be 'way'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.