Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Password manager do you use?

• None - I don't use any (please explain why below)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 1Password

Votes: 103 37.9%
  • Apple Keychain

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Bitwarden

Votes: 29 10.7%
  • Dashlane

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • EnPass

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • LastPass

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • KeePass

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Roboform

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Strongbox

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Other (Please explain below)

Votes: 14 5.1%

• Total voters

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
  • I can't install the icloud app on my work PC but I can access 1Password via browser.
  • I don't think Keychain supports 2FA, only passkeys.
  • Keychain is not as organized and doesn't allow you to (easily) share passwords with family members.
• Fair that if you need to use a PC, you'd want something cross-platform
• Keychain DOES support 2FA
• I'm always curious why people share passwords (even with family members). Doesn't/shouldn't everyone have their own login? Probably the only exception I can think of is WiFi passwords.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
• I'm always curious why people share passwords (even with family members). Doesn't/shouldn't everyone have their own login? Probably the only exception I can think of is WiFi passwords.
Streaming accounts with family at home. My wife and I share passwords for bills for the house (mortgage, gas, electric, etc), I want my wife to had access to my retirement info and I have access to hers, vehicle payments, other bills (credit card payments, cable, and others) I can go on with more with this. Is great also if one of us dies, the other had easy access to all of the important accounts.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I really don't understand why it's not a standalone app. The fact that it's buried in settings makes me hesitant to recommend it to my less technically inclined relatives.

Keychain Access not being available as an iOS app has always been one of the most baffling Apple weirdnesses. That, and Configurator not having an iOS version for kickstarting Macs that need a deep fix of their storage.

Matsamoto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
I would like to have 1Password, but i made a big mistake.

Currently using a MacBook, Pc with Win 10 (for gaming), iPad and Android phone, so i thought it would be the best solution.

But when i was signing up and created my account in 1Password, the only option was to buy for 2 year ahead, and the price in Sweden was at the time quite high.
So i decided to not to sign up.
And i forget to write down my master password, so now when i was thinking to sign up again, i cant remember the password☹️

Anyone here who know what to do?

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022

Currently using a MacBook, Pc with Win 10 (for gaming), iPad and Android phone, so i thought it would be the best solution.

But when i was signing up and created my account in 1Password, the only option was to buy for 2 year ahead, and the price in Sweden was at the time quite high.
And i forget to write down my master password, so now when i was thinking to sign up again, i cant remember the password☹️

Get an iPhone, install iCloud on your PC and use Keychain on all your devices.

The master password thing has always been the flaw in the plan with these password managers - both forgetting it AND revealing it.

Reactions: ZZ9pluralZalpha

ZZ9pluralZalpha

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
I used to be a stickler for separate apps like Minimalist that would give two layers of protection (vs. anyone with a family Apple device being able to access iCloud-stored passwords), but family sharing, progressively smarter autofill with things like credit card CVVs, and stolen device protection are gradually eroding that separation. All Apple has to do now is split the management interface off from Settings and add a few custom fields/entry types, and the Sherlocking will be complete for me.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Keychain Access not being available as an iOS app has always been one of the most baffling Apple weirdnesses.
I'm already cringing at the thought of trying to show people, "See, getting to your passwords is easy. Don't look for a password app but instead go into Settings and then scroll down to this section..."

The master password thing has always been the flaw in the plan with these password managers - both forgetting it AND revealing it.
Bitwarden allows you to designate a contact for emergency access for that scenario.

1. Depending on the specified user access level, the grantee will either:
    • Obtain view/read access to items in the grantor's vault (view).
    • Be asked to create a new master password for the grantor's vault (takeover).

ivan86

Contributor
Feb 24, 2016
Moscow / Berlin
Ditto. I'd be very interested to hear what's been fixed with v8 that's made you be happy with it now. Am on v7 Teams.

From the top of my head some of the issues v8 had during its release:

- inability to move fields around (now it is not only possible to move fields, but sections too - something that is absent in v7 -> very useful improvement)
- file attachments in entries used to be supported only as links and thus resulted in separate entries (created huge mess)
- various UI issues and inconsistencies
- I was also missing 1Password mini (or however it used to be called, that was resting in the menu bar). Not anymore, guess I have slightly readjusted my workflows and 1P v8 browser extension does not suck anymore (it was bad at first for sure)
- search was bad at first

These were the main stoppers on my side. There were 1 or 2 more which I forgot about...

Recently AgileBits fixed one more bug, related to how dates are shown in corresponding fields of various items. They were inconsistent to date format selected in macOS. All is well in this department too now...

Overall - I find v8 to be big improvement now. It looks great and is even more powerful and flexible now.

Collections is a great addition that allows to sort all the Vaults in the best possible way.

For example: I have a "family" collection, which include my personal vault, shared vault with my father and wife, at the same time, I have an "admin" collection, which again include my vault, but also the vault of my collegue... There is also "Company ABC" collection, which includes vaults of employees related to that company. You got the idea - it is possible to have the same vaults in different collections and it just makes sense as soon as you start using that.

Managing by collections simply is a much more powerful and awesome way to manage data when you have a lot of it.

Thus, now, whenever I have to narrow down the search I select a concrete collection that I know the item is in. It works brilliantly.

There are also cool new ways to organise all the items on mobile apps, so that you get the most important info right there all the time...

I see no reason not to move from v8 from v7 at all now.

-> Welcome to the team 1P v8 ;-)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: joecomo and madmin

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’ve always used a third party password manager in the cloud, but for non-critical accounts such as videogame services, I’m more and more into Apple iCloud Keychain. We could say that, outside some critical email passwords, I now use iClous Keychain because it has improved over the past few years.

Maybe when I update to iOS 17.5 in all my devices next month, I’ll bring some more passwords to Keychain.

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
1Password.

I used iCloud Keychain for years, but it is simply not as good as the competition. 1Password blows it out of the water. One of the only subscriptions I am happy to pay for (have a family account).
same with me - problem with Keychain is especially, that it does not allow to add custom fields.

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016

Here is the link to the 1Password help page for people in your situation: https://support.1password.com/forgot-account-password/

P.S. You didn’t ask, but I would avoid both Bitwarden and Apple Keychain as there are much better choices available.

Reactions: Matsamoto

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
I've been using 1Password religiously for years. I'll admit though that I wasn't thrilled about their subscription model but I justified it with "Well, it hasn't failed me". With their watchtower feature, I've actually been alerted to hacks and leaked credentials before I get notified by my various free identity monitoring services that I've accumulated over the years lol.

The cross platform flexibility was huge for me initially but since I only use Windows for work, it's not as big of deal now since all of my personal stuff is on MacOS/iOS.

Anytime I share my D+ password with my sister for her kids through the sharing feature, she always asks me "Why in the F*** do you need a password that is 100 characters long?!?!". I can't help but chuckle 😆

Reactions: Mr. Heckles

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I started with 1P6 in 2013, then had a disconnect with 1P Mini and then all turned to poo. I will mention that all this was due to my 2009 hardware and a patched OS.

This and 1P7 turned into a subscription service was to much and I ended up buying the lifetime Strongbox license. At the time syncing over the WiFi network wasn't available and I got myself into a mess updating new entries between 2 devices and Cloud. It's quite subjective but I didn't like the (highly) customizable approach, nor the UI.

So going forward, I did sign up to the 1 Password sub (loathe subscriptions) and the first three years there's 50% off. I've no need for cross platform support but did find 1P to be so much more polished and basic to use.

Edit: Another factor is also the excellent support that AgileBits has, very quick to respond. This is always a vital component (for me) when purchasing anything.

Last edited:

wadek

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2007
I have a 1Password family plan I share with my brother. It allows us to share vaults with all of the information for dealing with our Alzheimer’s afflicted parents…copies of important documents, medical updates, passwords for their accounts, etc. Being cross platform is great as he is a Windows and Android user while I reside in Apple’s realm.

• Love
Reactions: PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
• Keychain DOES support 2FA
  • Thanks -- good to know!
  • Sharing streaming passwords is one. I have married friends that have a shared vault for "household" sites like utilities.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Streaming accounts with family at home. My wife and I share passwords for bills for the house (mortgage, gas, electric, etc), I want my wife to had access to my retirement info and I have access to hers, vehicle payments, other bills (credit card payments, cable, and others) I can go on with more with this. Is great also if one of us dies, the other had easy access to all of the important accounts.

I have a document that tells my family how to take over my responsibilities. It all starts with some items I maintain in a particular vault that they have access to. I need that kind of functionality - support for easy family sharing.

Bitwarden does have a family plan - not much cheaper than 1Password's. I haven't tried it out so I have no idea what it offers.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I have a document that tells my family how to take over my responsibilities. It all starts with some items I maintain in a particular vault that they have access to. I need that kind of functionality - support for easy family sharing.

Bitwarden does have a family plan - not much cheaper than 1Password's. I haven't tried it out so I have no idea what it offers.
That’s a great idea, I should do that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Interesting results so far, with 209 votes, its nearly evenly divided between 1Password and Apple's Keychain, basically 75% of all respondents use 1Password or Apple Keychain

Given the histrionics in the 1Password migrant thread, I thought maybe the usage would have dropped. I guess the hatred of 1Password (one member stating its an evil company due to the subscription service) is limited to a couple of members.

I was also expecting Bitwarden to be a bit higher.
1714123098056.png

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Interesting results so far, with 209 votes, its nearly evenly divided between 1Password and Apple's Keychain, basically 75% of all respondents use 1Password or Apple Keychain

Given the histrionics in the 1Password migrant thread, I thought maybe the usage would have dropped. I guess the hatred of 1Password (one member stating its an evil company due to the subscription service) is limited to a couple of members.

View attachment 2372048
Anytime that is default will have a lot of users. That being said, I’m surprised Keychain doesn’t have more users than 1Password.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia

View attachment 2372048

The survey doesn't separate out Legacy 1Password users who haven't migrated to the VC-Backed subscription version, which is a shame as that would have been an interesting statistic.

SiegeDamage

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2023
I don't see any reason why I would use anything other than Apple Keychain if I'm being honest. Convenient, accessible, secure.

Reactions: Pecka

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
The survey doesn't separate out Legacy 1Password users who haven't migrated to the VC-Backed subscription version, which is a shame as that would have been an interesting statistic.
No it doesn't because I was not interested that delineation. I was just curious in a general sense what are people using.

dialogos

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
I clicked on my macOS Launchpad and noticed this installed app. However, holding down the Command Key does not provide me with the option to uninstall it. Could you please help me identify which password manager this is?

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 17.06.36.png

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

People that don't like subscriptions make a LOT of noise on here. I've got a sub to Bitwarden and I feel I definitely get my money's worth.

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.