Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Hi,

This is something that has annoyed me for years now, and unfortunatlely it hasn't been resolved with the new 12-line. When I take a landscape photo on my 12 mini it is often displayed in portrait mode in the camera roll, and vice versa. I find this incredibly annoying as I often have to edit the photo afterwards so it's in the direction I took it. WTH is going on? Why does the camera behave that way? Same problem on previous phones as well. Could someone please shed some light as to why this happens, and any possible fix or trick or something to prevent the photos taken by the camera to change orientation - I don't know how to explain it better lol... It almost always happens when I take photos of documents, but also in other circumstances...

Thanks

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Camera orientation is determined by the motion sensor inside the iPhone. If the camera is pointed straight down when taking a photo of a document the sensor doesn't know where up is and the resulting photo could be rotated.
Try orienting the camera how you want it first by aiming it outwards then rotate the iPhone down to horizontal to take a picture of the document. - or fix it after its shot

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I found this, which is helpful, yet i'm appaled at how lousy the gyroskope works in the Camera app.

"Do you sometimes take photos with your iPhone and afterwards find they were taken in the wrong orientation even though it looked okay in the viewfinder? Read on for how to quickly check iPhone photo orientation before taking a picture.

The iPhone camera app uses the device’s gyroscope to know what orientation you’re shooting a photo or video. However, sometimes the gyroscope and software doesn’t catch how quickly you make the change from portrait to landscape.

How to check iPhone photo orientation before taking a picture​

1. Open the Camera app
  2. As you line up your shot, look for the magnification indicator (1x) next to the shutter button
  3. Make sure it’s oriented in the same way you’re holding your phone
  4. If it’s not, try rotating your phone back to another orientation and back to the one you want"

Reactions: svish
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.