Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samut

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
I would appreciate if someone could upload a few samples in following cases

Night mode
-As far as I understood iPhone 11 pro used cropped wide camera for night mode. Could someone upload full iPhone 12 pro telephoto night mode samples with exif data to verify if this has changed?

Lightroom raw samples
-It would be interesting to see how iPhone 12 and 12 pro do without computational photography on ultra-wide, wide and tele. Therefore full-size dng/original raw files taken with Lightroom app would be interesting to see for further analysis.

edit: this forum seems to loose all the exif data and compress the images. If possible could you upload photos somewhere else?

Last edited:

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I would appreciate if someone could upload a few samples in following cases

Night mode
-As far as I understood iPhone 11 pro used cropped wide camera for night mode. Could someone upload full iPhone 12 pro telephoto night mode samples with exif data to verify if this has changed?

Lightroom raw samples
-It would be interesting to see how iPhone 12 and 12 pro do without computational photography on ultra-wide, wide and tele. Therefore full-size dng/original raw files taken with Lightroom app would be interesting to see for further analysis.
If someone doesn’t beat me to it, I’ll post these samples tonight once my phone has arrived. As a photo nerd myself, I’m curious to see how this one will perform in lowlight.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
Just wait for owners to edit them in lightroom, snapseed or any other video editor. pretty sure they dont look as advertised! ??????

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Portrait mode, indoors...

11ae90d8125f28449727727ba6b7182c.jpg

Kent viggo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2019
Sweden
IMG_8677.jpg IMG_8611.JPG

The shot on the left is taken with the 12 pro. The shot on the right with the iPhone 8.

After working on the picture from the 8 a little bit, I can almost say that it manages to look better than the image straight out of the 12 pro. When editing the photo from the 12 pro its almost hard to add any more sharpening because it has already been processed heavily in the iphone.

IMG_8611 edited.jpg

This is the picture from the 8 after having undergone some sharpening in photoshop. Almost looks "cleaner" than the 12 pro.

In the next shot the difference becomes a big bigger, and thanks for that. No processing done on these.

IMG_8682.jpg IMG_8616.JPG

12 pro on the left. iPhone 8 on the right

IMG_8681.jpg IMG_8615.JPG

12 Pro on the left. iPhone 8 on the right.

IMG_8679.jpg IMG_8613.JPG

12 Pro on the left. iPhone 8 on the right

Kent viggo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2019
Sweden
IMG_8673.jpg IMG_8603.JPG

12 Pro on the left. iPhone 8 on the right.

IMG_8674.jpg IMG_8608.JPG

12 Pro on the left. Iphone 8 on the right.

In all honestly? From this little outing with my 12 pro im a little bit dissapointed. Im a photographer and I use a D750 which has tremendous quality. Im also a bit naive, and an eternal optimist, and was really expenting to have my mind blown from a tremendous increase in quality in the 12 pro.

This has so far not happened.

The increases in photo quality are mostly computational, that means the hardware is more or less unchanged. Yes, the lenses have one extra element, but it doesnt really add that much.

A computational approach to photography has a tendency to be a bit.. well... too computational. Its simply not good enough at correcty determinig how to process the image.

The HDR images ive taken so far feels overprocessed, and out of my control. The shadows are a bit too strongly pushed towards the middle, and the same goes for the highlights. See the halos around edges on the shots from the 12 pro? Especially in the leaves of the trees. Its simply processed very heavily.

For an average user I bet this saves time, and it gets you a picture that looks well exposed and "worked" with. But for someone who is very detail oriented and into photography the results can feel a bit tacky and cheap.

Perhaps the pro raw feature will remedy this and give us a little bit more control over the strenght of the procssing of the image, im optimistic towards that.

Ohh well, its naive to think that where will be MASSIVE improvements in photo quality from an image sensor the size of half a stamp.

The 12 pro is good, by all means its a great phone with a great camera. But dont upgrade from an 11 pro for the camera alone!

The Pro Max will be better, for sure, but not untill the sensor of the camera increases and the lens elements gets even bigger will we see a truley big jump in quality from the images from an iPhone.

Ok rant over, thanks for reading. Ill just post pictures from now and let them speak for themselves;)

Attachments

• IMG_8673.jpg
    IMG_8673.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 523

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
There goes the best cameras on any phone... Ever... ?

I just don’t understand why you are here. Multiple threads and posts all bashing the new phone. It almost seems like a jealousy thing? Are you this hell bent on comparing an iPhone to an android phone? Let people enjoy what they have and leave it be. No reason to compare apples to apples, they all do the same thing pretty much the same way. Let it go already.

Samut

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
Thanks for all the samples! Could someone check whether the nightmode in 12 pro using telephoto crops the wide sensor or actually used the telephoto? Information should be in exif data of the picture.

dudedeuce

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.