Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
If I were to buy a Pioneer DVD-RW 105 "SuperDrive" 4x burner and install in in my Dad's Power Mac G4 450mhz will it work? We have the latest of X and 9, although we won't need to burn DVDs in 9 we will be moslty using it in OS X. The drive says works with all Apple Software, I am thinking of getting the drive and then getting iLife (which includes iDVD) The PowerMac has 768mb of ram and a second hard drive (internal) with 20gb free. The DVD-RW drive will replace the DVD-ROM that was originaly shipped with the computer. I hope the drive works well but, I am not aware of any problems. Are there any? Any help will be great! thanks a lot:d

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. There should be no physical problems (like the dimensions of the drive causing it not to fit), and I don't think there would be any software or firmware problems. Go right ahead. The A05 is a greater optical drive.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Originally posted by Freg3000
I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. There should be no physical problems (like the dimensions of the drive causing it not to fit), and I don't think there would be any software or firmware problems. Go right ahead. The A05 is a greater optical drive.
The A05 and the 105 are the same right? I mean hardware wise...:D Thanks for the help too ;)

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
yup.

Yeah, the AO5 and the 105 are the same. It's just a matter of software that comes with it (which we mac people dont need). I bought an AO5 from fry's and slide it right into the top of my dual 1.25, so I now have a combo drive and a superdrive. Both work fine together.

Let us know your results! :)

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Hey an even more important question. If I were buying a powermac... would it be cheaper to get the aftermarket "superdrive" and add it or get it like that from Apple?

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
Its about the same. It runs 250 on the aftermarket and 200 dollars upgrade from a combo from apple. So if you want dual opticals, buy it aftermarket, but if you just want one that burns dvd get it from apple. THe superdrive also has to be in the TOP position and master in the new powermacs.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Thanks for the replies, we should be getting our "SuperDrive" in a week or two, I wish I could order it this second but I still need to talk to my Dad about it. :rolleyes: :p

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Originally posted by chewbaccapits
Sick!...That 450 is a SAWTOOTH G4 AGP mac right? BTW, what is "aftermarket"? Is it easy to install the superdrive?
Yes its a pretty cool machine, as far as I knwo it's easy, MacAddict had an issue abotu installing it into older Macs, looks like you carefully take out the original Optical drive and put in the new one. They did mention that the pioneer drive and OS 9 wasn't a match made in heaven, haha. The issue was right before iLife cameout because they mentioned iDVD 3 not being out yet. I have no idea what after matket meens also, he he :)

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Originally posted by hugemullens
Its about the same. It runs 250 on the aftermarket and 200 dollars upgrade from a combo from apple. So if you want dual opticals, buy it aftermarket, but if you just want one that burns dvd get it from apple. THe superdrive also has to be in the TOP position and master in the new powermacs.

It only has to be in the top position for installation of the software. After that it doesn't make a difference. (I know because for some reason my drive only opens properly in the second drive bay.)

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
hello

The drive installed great! iDVD recondizes it, I haven't burnerd a DVD yet, I have to put togeather a movie..hehe I'll keep you posted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.