Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Until recently, my MBP was docked to my ASD 95% of the time. Hence why it only has 52 cycles after a year of ownership. Meanwhile battery capacity has dropped because the charging AI kept overcharging it.

I used to be on the go a lot until 2021. But now most of my work is done on my desk at home. Work have their own computers, so only need to bring in an iPad at best.

With the MacStudio, it's seamlessly fitted right in. Again connected to my ASD, and its been refreshing not worrying about overcharging. Haven't missed the MBP as much as i thought i would.

Saying all that, i'm like you. Still torn, because switching to a Desktop + iPad setup is pricey. Compared to just using a MBP and docking and undocking as required and would be cheaper.

I still have 10 days to test and decide
You should look up a program called Al Dente. It allows you to set a maximum charge level.

I use my MBA 99.9% of the time docked as a desktop so it is basically always plugged into the charger. After 2.5 years battery capacity has hardly diminished.

I have considered going back to having a permanent desktop, but the laptops are so good now that you don't really have much incentive to get a desktop IMHO. Unless you are really pushing the limits of performance, a MacBook pro or even air can handle almost anything.

It is so convenient to just unplug a cable and be off with your computer when needed.

I keep my MacBook closed and tucked away so all that is on my desk is the monitor, and keyboard/track pad

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Saying all that, i'm like you. Still torn, because switching to a Desktop + iPad setup is pricey. Compared to just using a MBP and docking and undocking as required and would be cheaper.
I use a desktop and have a macbook air for when I want or need a portable computer. It doesn't need to be powerful because my desktops already are. And I can replace/upgrade the desktops for a lot less. And not have to worry about batteries. And they tend to be quieter under load.

Reactions: daneoni

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I had my toes over the cliff then did a Thelma and Louise. Neumann KH 120 IIs are absolutely amazing desktop speakers. Love the Mogami Platinum Studio Microphone XLR Cables.

IMG_2827 copy Large.jpeg

Reactions: bhtwo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.