Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Until recently, my MBP was docked to my ASD 95% of the time. Hence why it only has 52 cycles after a year of ownership. Meanwhile battery capacity has dropped because the charging AI kept overcharging it.

I used to be on the go a lot until 2021. But now most of my work is done on my desk at home. Work have their own computers, so only need to bring in an iPad at best.

With the MacStudio, it's seamlessly fitted right in. Again connected to my ASD, and its been refreshing not worrying about overcharging. Haven't missed the MBP as much as i thought i would.

Saying all that, i'm like you. Still torn, because switching to a Desktop + iPad setup is pricey. Compared to just using a MBP and docking and undocking as required and would be cheaper.

I still have 10 days to test and decide
You should look up a program called Al Dente. It allows you to set a maximum charge level.

I use my MBA 99.9% of the time docked as a desktop so it is basically always plugged into the charger. After 2.5 years battery capacity has hardly diminished.

I have considered going back to having a permanent desktop, but the laptops are so good now that you don't really have much incentive to get a desktop IMHO. Unless you are really pushing the limits of performance, a MacBook pro or even air can handle almost anything.

It is so convenient to just unplug a cable and be off with your computer when needed.

I keep my MacBook closed and tucked away so all that is on my desk is the monitor, and keyboard/track pad

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Saying all that, i'm like you. Still torn, because switching to a Desktop + iPad setup is pricey. Compared to just using a MBP and docking and undocking as required and would be cheaper.
I use a desktop and have a macbook air for when I want or need a portable computer. It doesn't need to be powerful because my desktops already are. And I can replace/upgrade the desktops for a lot less. And not have to worry about batteries. And they tend to be quieter under load.

Reactions: daneoni

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I had my toes over the cliff then did a Thelma and Louise. Neumann KH 120 IIs are absolutely amazing desktop speakers. Love the Mogami Platinum Studio Microphone XLR Cables.

IMG_2827 copy Large.jpeg

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
This is my first MAJOR purchase in...well...kind of ever. I feel quite guilty about it and sad to give up the 2005 Camry LE I had driven since 2011. That car got me through my senior year of high school, college, and 7 years of professional life, but it was really worn down and needed a good deal of work. I went to a Honda dealer first, but wasn't overly smitten with the Accords so ended up across the street.

I will say that cars have come A LONG WAY since my beloved Camry. Other than one brief instance of a rental car in 2014 I haven't driven anything but that Camry so this is my first experience with CarPlay, backup cameras, the myriad of sensors, heated and cooled seats, everything being adjustable...it's almost overwhelming.

2024 Lexus ES 350

Attachments

• IMG_2898.jpg
    IMG_2898.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2896.jpg
    IMG_2896.jpg
    872.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2897.jpg
    IMG_2897.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 43

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
This is my first MAJOR purchase in...well...kind of ever. I feel quite guilty about it and sad to give up the 2005 Camry LE I had driven since 2011. That car got me through my senior year of high school, college, and 7 years of professional life, but it was really worn down and needed a good deal of work. I went to a Honda dealer first, but wasn't overly smitten with the Accords so ended up across the street.

I will say that cars have come A LONG WAY since my beloved Camry. Other than one brief instance of a rental car in 2014 I haven't driven anything but that Camry so this is my first experience with CarPlay, backup cameras, the myriad of sensors, heated and cooled seats, everything being adjustable...it's almost overwhelming.

2024 Lexus ES 350
Congrats on this purchase, you made an excellent choice.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I've always wanted to surprise my wife with a vehicle. Usually we go together any time we have purchased a vehicle but I wanted to just show up with one she loved. Picked her up a new 2024 Suburban to replace her 2016 Suburban. Needless to say she absolutely loves it.

IMG_9858.jpeg

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Traded in my old 2018 Intel Macbook Air that I was using as a home automation and iMessage server for an open box M2 base. Came out to $250 using some best buy rewards which also includes Apple Care with Best Buy Total Tech. Great timing too because I have a trip coming up tomorrow and my 14 Inch M1 Max is being repaired at Apple for a dead trackpad.

Really impressive for something that only has 8GB of RAM!

1716930340418.jpeg

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
70f82a982047ac725afb375d3fc05cad.jpg

Jack Mason Hydrotimer.
Thanks for posting.
As a watch lover and long-time collector I must admit this was a model I wasn't familiar with and also had no idea about the manufacturer. A short search shows it to be a Jack Mason, an American microbrand I wasn't familiar with either.
For those interested, this Jack Mason Hydrotimer 'Diver's watch has a 40mm case with an impressive 300m depth rating in which is housed a known and reliable Japanese Myota 9039 movement. Accuracy is -10/+30 secs/day.

I often research a watch inside-out, i.e. find a movement which is known for it's construction integrity and reliability, and if the case, dial, and features are pleasing at the right price, go ahead with a purchase.
Why not join us over on the Mac Rumors forum: Picture Gallery/ Who's go A Nice Watch. I've learnt a great deal there and also shared some of my own collecting experiences.

Last edited:
Reactions: DCIFRTHS and ericwn

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks for posting.
As a watch lover and long-time collector I must admit this was a model I wasn't familiar with and also had no idea about the manufacturer. A short search shows it to be a Jack Mason, an American microbrand I wasn't familiar with either.
For those interested, this Jack Mason Hydrotimer 'Diver's watch has a 40mm case with an impressive 300m depth rating in which is housed a known and reliable Japanese Myota 9039 movement. Accuracy is -10/+30 secs/day.

I often research a watch inside-out, i.e. find a movement which is known for it's construction integrity and reliability, and if the case, dial, and features are pleasing at the right price, go ahead with a purchase.
Why not join us over on the Mac Rumors forum: Picture Gallery/ Who's go A Nice Watch. I've learnt a great deal there and also shared some of my own collecting experiences.
Please also check out specific watch communities like WatchCrunch- just a great specialized community for us time piece friends.

Reactions: CooperBox

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
My Notebook / Journal setup for the second half of 2024. Decided to go with Rhodia paper all the way.
The Caran d'Ache Edelweiss is a basic graphite pencil, but I love them. Just got a new 4 pce blister.

IMG_2749.jpeg

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Last year I managed to reserve a place in the queue for purchasing a pair of Kutrite kitchen scissors made by Ernest Wright in Sheffield UK, who have been involved in making scissors by hand since the 1800's. This week they informed my that my pair had been made and so visiedt their factory today to pick them up. Lovely scissors they are too..

Screenshot 2024-06-03 at 16.38.02.png

Screenshot 2024-06-03 at 16.42.19.png

Reactions: bhtwo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.