Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Egonito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2022
Hello,
I recently got a PowerBook 520c, found a adaptor, plugged it in and powered on just fine. But when i tried to transport it in a car, then plugged it in and pressed the power key, it didn' t do anything. Could someone please tell me what is the issue? The adaptor is fine i tested it with multimeter.

ElectricVibes

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2023
It sound like possibly a connector was jostled during transport. I would start with an easy check like the keyboard connectors to see if it isn't detecting the power button press. Before opening up the Powerbook, you could maybe try an ADB keyboard see if it powers up with that power button first. If that works, then follow the 520c iFixit General Disassembly guide to lift out the keyboard and re-seat the two connectors for it. I think it's only 6 screws on the bottom to lift the keyboard. I would clean the connectors on the motherboard with a good contact cleaner while in there like Deoxit or CRC brand they sell at auto stores. Just a small quick spray in the connector should do and then let it dry before plugging in the keyboard back into the motherboard. My 520C connector for the screen had this problem where it wouldn't detect the display and cleaning it with quick spray was all that was needed. Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.