Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdad2

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
I'm not sure anymore
If there's a thread on this already, please point me to it - i didn't find anything in my searches. Here's the issue... Audio has stopped playing back on my revD 17" powerbook in quicktime and flash environments. This problem occurs with both local files and online. iTunes, Garageband,Audacity, and system audio are all fine. Here's the Quicktime error on a file that played fine yesterday.

"You may experience problems playing a sound track in "whatever movie" because the software component needed by the movie could not be opened."

Streamed flash or QT content = no error message + no audio.

any ideas?

please and thanks

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
macdad2 said:
If there's a thread on this already, please point me to it - i didn't find anything in my searches. Here's the issue... Audio has stopped playing back on my revD 17" powerbook in quicktime and flash environments. This problem occurs with both local files and online. iTunes, Garageband,Audacity, and system audio are all fine. Here's the Quicktime error on a file that played fine yesterday.

"You may experience problems playing a sound track in "whatever movie" because the software component needed by the movie could not be opened."

Streamed flash or QT content = no error message + no audio.

any ideas?

please and thanks

The error code simply means you don't have the codec that the audio was encoded with, so it won't play, it's not a problem, check under the movie menu in QT, look for Get Movie Properties and navigate to the audio file type, then search for the codec using Gooooogle. You may or may not find it.

You might want to check the Quicktime componants in the System Folder, see if they are still around.

macdad2

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
I'm not sure anymore
Thanks Wintermute. I got everyting working again last night late but I'm not sure what actually fixed it. hmmm.... I check into the quicktime components to see if I can find any clues. Oh well - at least it's working again. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.