Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
After talking to Apple support in Ireland and Singapore (+65 ??) for two hours....

I had to sent my receipt, bought the iMac on September 18, and they gave me a gift code to activate one year free... plus 7 days.

Seems to be ok now, I am not getting billed 4.99 euro until November 8, 2020.

PS: I was not the only one....

Reactions: Mr.C

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
After talking to Apple support in Ireland and Singapore (+65 ??) for two hours....

I had to sent my receipt, bought the iMac on September 18, and they gave me a gift code to activate one year free... plus 7 days.

Seems to be ok now, I am not getting billed 4.99 euro until November 8, 2020.

PS: I was not the only one....
My trial got all messed up too!

Long story short, I had a slot of issues signing up for my free 1 year trial yesterday.

Originally, it said I only got 1 week free when I signed up, something must have gotten messed up and I only got the standard 1 week free trial that stated I would start getting charged on Nov 8, 2019. (First screenshot)

Later, I logged back in and I saw the 1 year free trial. I selected it and it appears I was updated to the 1 year free trial. The weird thing though is that it states “Free for 1 week” while also saying it “Renews Nov 8, 2020” which is a year away. (Second screenshot)

Could you take a picture of your free one year subscription and repost? Not sure if I have some type of error on my account or if this normal.

Attachments

• D9E0A49B-BC73-4772-AEF8-A153D40EAB1C.png
    D9E0A49B-BC73-4772-AEF8-A153D40EAB1C.png
    270.3 KB · Views: 261
  • 9896AEBE-9B22-46BB-891E-EA0DFB1CCA48.png
    9896AEBE-9B22-46BB-891E-EA0DFB1CCA48.png
    272.8 KB · Views: 291

Illini Al

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2019
Bolingbrook, IL
Do you have to activate the free year on the device that you bought?
I just bought a new iPhone for someone from the Apple Store, but would like to activate the free year on one of my own devices.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
I just bought a new iPhone for someone from the Apple Store, but would like to activate the free year on one of my own devices.

Yeah, thinks so.

This my current subscription after spending hours with Apple Support:

22BDF2A6-93CF-4EC1-B70B-A3D9F7741898.jpeg

As you see its one year + 7 days, the 7 days were added automatically after entering the code I got from them.

Reactions: ackmondual

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
My iPhone 11 received a notification from :apple: for a free 1 year subscription.

Wondering how recent of a purchase does :apple: determines a 1 year vs 1 week trial.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Yeah, thinks so.

This my current subscription after spending hours with Apple Support:

View attachment 874523

As you see its one year + 7 days, the 7 days were added automatically after entering the code I got from them.
This makes me feel better since it also says “Free for 1 week” but the date is through Nov 2020.

Reactions: ackmondual

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Okay so I have an update. I got a call back yesterday from the same tech support person I spoke to on Saturday. On Saturday he had told me he was taking ownership of my case. He said he would get back to me in no more then a week.

Anyway as I said he called me back yesterday and as they could not offer me a normal resolution to allow me to sign up for the one year trial he gave me a redemption code that would get me one year free access to it. This renews on 08/11/2020 so in affect I’ve got the one week free trial followed by a one year free trial. So they were able to resolve it.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Okay so I have an update. I got a call back yesterday from the same tech support person I spoke to on Saturday. On Saturday he had told me he was taking ownership of my case. He said he would get back to me in no more then a week.

Anyway as I said he called me back yesterday and as they could not offer me a normal resolution to allow me to sign up for the one year trial he gave me a redemption code that would get me one year free access to it. This renews on 08/11/2020 so in affect I’ve got the one week free trial followed by a one year free trial. So they were able to resolve it.

Congrats ;-) They did the same for me. I have nothing to complains Apple support, they tried everything to fix it at their side.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Congrats ;-) They did the same for me. I have nothing to complains Apple support, they tried everything to fix it at their side.

That’s great. I’m glad they sorted it out for you too. Yes Apple customer service and tech support is certainly the best I’ve experienced over the years. ??

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
So I got a notification that I got 1 year free on Nov 1 even though I haven’t bought any devices eligible for it. I didn’t yet activate it bc I knew I’d be busy this week and wanted to save it. Now the notification is gone and I can’t get 1 year free. I know I wasn’t even supposed to have it, but now I wanna punch myself for not just taking advantage when I had it. Sigh.

Last edited:

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
So I got a notification that I got 1 year free on Nov 1 even though I haven’t bought any devices eligible for it. I didn’t yet activate it bc I knew I’d be busy this week and wanted to save it.
I got the notification for the 1 year trial on my phone X (but it was correct in principle since I bought a macbook pro in late september), clicked on it immediately and still only ever get the 7 day trial. So, I'm not sure in your case that would have worked out.
I've tried everything short of calling apple, I can only see the 7 day trial on all devices (new and old). Although it seems like a lot of people with eligible devices bought before november 1st are having problems and apple is solving them with redeem codes.

Reactions: xxray

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I can confirm that phoning apple and going through basic troubleshooting (log in and out of the account to no avail), and providing them with proof of purchase leads to them offering a redeem code with the one year offer, which I applied on the phone and then we verified together it was correctly registered. Now, though, I suddenly SEE the 1 year trial offer in the app...

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I can confirm that phoning apple and going through basic troubleshooting (log in and out of the account to no avail), and providing them with proof of purchase leads to them offering a redeem code with the one year offer, which I applied on the phone and then we verified together it was correctly registered. Now, though, I suddenly SEE the 1 year trial offer in the app...

Yes that seems to be the work around as it’s not coming up automatically for everyone. It was the same for me too.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I got a years free trial when I bought an Apple TV 4K off the store on Black Friday. Is this normal? Thought it was only with higher ticket items. I was very surprised to get the notification (which actually appeared while using the iPad app) and very pleased because the value of ATV+ at this point is a little borderline for me, although I was willing to pay for a few months.

theartist123

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
UK

I have purchased an iPhone using my Apple account for someone in my family group, iPhone will be in Family for subs etc, will the free year activate for all in the family if it’s not activated by me??

voyager77

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
I bought a new Mac mini which came with Mojave. At this point I rather not update to Catalina for various reasons.
Is there a way I can activate my 1 year free TV+?

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
This makes me feel better since it also says “Free for 1 week” but the date is through Nov 2020.
Yeah, ditto. I recently activated my complimentary trial periods for Apple TV+ and Apple Arcade. Both say "free for 1 week", but the renew date was months later. I didn't think to do the math that it's those many months + the 1 week!

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
Yeah, ditto. I recently activated my complimentary trial periods for Apple TV+ and Apple Arcade. Both say "free for 1 week", but the renew date was months later. I didn't think to do the math that it's those many months + the 1 week!
Have you bought any new Apple products within the last 3 months?

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
That’s why you have longer than a 1 week trial
I did get that from reading this thread. However, the message should've been explicit in saying that you'll get 1 week free IN ADDITION to what you get for your purchase. As is, it makes it look like that if you activated your free trial, you would only get one week, which would concern users because they may think their extra months weren't properly linked to that device or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.