Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robert2018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2018
I purchased a new iPad and set it up as a new iPad. After setting it up, I went into the App Store to download previous purchases, but the App Store was not recognizing any of my purchases - clicking on Purchases just show "No Purchases". When I went to the purchase history for my Apple ID, I could see my entire 11 year history of purchases. Even when I downloaded a new free application the App Store still didn't update my purchases to reflect the download (purchase history for my apple id was updated). I worked with support to 6 hours (many repeats of supplying the same information over and over again when their system would drop me between transfers). At one point we did the equivalent of factory resetting the iPad and I noticed that a number of the default applications (believe it was those that I had updated after initially setting up my new iPad) had disappeared.

Apple finally acknowledged that this was a known issue under an internal ticket with no estimated resolution date.

Have others experienced this? If so when was the issue resolved or has this issue been out there for years?
Has anyone else experienced this issue in the past month?
Support made no offer of a workaround such as removing any fees needed for me to repurchase applications I have proof of owning so I could get back up and running - which really pissed me off.

I was appalled at how poor Apple's Technical Support communicated. I would have to go through the same initial investigatory steps when the support system dropped my call while I was being escalated up the chain. And then to receive an e-mail that basically says thanks for contacting us this is a known issue so we are closing your case - how about something like we will send you updates until the issue is resolve and please contact this department for some alternates on how to make your new device usable.

Since Apple won't explain to me what caused the error, I would recommend that you be really cautious on applying 11.4 or 11.4.1 to your system or potential restore scenarios.

macrumors member
May 14, 2018
I purchased a new iPad and set it up as a new iPad. After setting it up, I went into the App Store to download previous purchases, but the App Store was not recognizing any of my purchases - clicking on Purchases just show "No Purchases". When I went to the purchase history for my Apple ID, I could see my entire 11 year history of purchases. Even when I downloaded a new free application the App Store still didn't update my purchases to reflect the download (purchase history for my apple id was updated). I worked with support to 6 hours (many repeats of supplying the same information over and over again when their system would drop me between transfers). At one point we did the equivalent of factory resetting the iPad and I noticed that a number of the default applications (believe it was those that I had updated after initially setting up my new iPad) had disappeared.

Apple finally acknowledged that this was a known issue under an internal ticket with no estimated resolution date.

Have others experienced this? If so when was the issue resolved or has this issue been out there for years?
Has anyone else experienced this issue in the past month?
Support made no offer of a workaround such as removing any fees needed for me to repurchase applications I have proof of owning so I could get back up and running - which really pissed me off.

I was appalled at how poor Apple's Technical Support communicated. I would have to go through the same initial investigatory steps when the support system dropped my call while I was being escalated up the chain. And then to receive an e-mail that basically says thanks for contacting us this is a known issue so we are closing your case - how about something like we will send you updates until the issue is resolve and please contact this department for some alternates on how to make your new device usable.

Since Apple won't explain to me what caused the error, I would recommend that you be really cautious on applying 11.4 or 11.4.1 to your system or potential restore scenarios.

Same here, my iPhone purchases are not reflected on iPad (and oposite) using the same ID.
There is an AppStore internal problem - some kind of split betwenn the iPad and iPhone app version...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.