Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BodaciousBBQ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2003
Phiily
Before I buy my 1st mac, I need to get some answers. If I DL songs from the itunes store, can I convert them to mp3 so I can play them anywhere? Or must they be played on your mac / ipod?

Also, if I buy an ibook ( no superdrive ) can I use iDVD with an external burner? I'm guessing yes.

I know I should buy a powerbook but I can't afford it... that said, if I'm just a "home movie" editor, will an iBook with max ram handle imovie w/o too many problems?

Thanks... TOTAL NEWBIE HERE... Chuck

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Re: questions before I buy my 1st mac

Originally posted by BodaciousBBQ
Before I buy my 1st mac, I need to get some answers. If I DL songs from the itunes store, can I convert them to mp3 so I can play them anywhere? Or must they be played on your mac / ipod?

Also, if I buy an ibook ( no superdrive ) can I use iDVD with an external burner? I'm guessing yes.

I know I should buy a powerbook but I can't afford it... that said, if I'm just a "home movie" editor, will an iBook with max ram handle imovie w/o too many problems?

I'll answer your first question, the AAC files that you download from the ITMS have some protection to stop them being pirated over the internet. However, Apple has allowed you ulimited burns of the Music to cd (As long as you change the playlist every 10 burns). You can then re-encode the songs. Some people say there is a huge loss of quality, while others say that they can't tell the difference. Do it once and see what you think.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

No, unfortunately, iDVD does not work with external "Superdrives".

The 12" PowerBook might be a better choice with a Superdrive if that's your goal. The added processor power would help as well as the ability to use a superdrive... but is going to cost more.

There are minor rumors that they (powerbooks) may get updated this week. So, wait a couple of days to see.

arn

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
If you burn iTMS music to CD and then turn into MP3, it sounds OK with pop music and most rock. But classic music and music that uses a big range of tones does not convert back to MP3 very well.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland

Originally posted by BodaciousBBQ

Hey Chuck, welcome to the forums!

Because of licensing issues (as I understand) iDVD will not work with an external DVD burner, however, almost all Mac-compatible external burners come with software that will allow you to make your DVDs.

For home movie editing, the iBook does work with the max RAM quite nicely.

I have 640MB of RAM with my 800Mhz iBook, and I don't have problems with iMovie. However, render times are not super fast, so don't expect it to fly when you are adding special effects or transitions.

That being said, I did get Roxio's Toast Platinum which allows you to burn Video CDs, a temp alternative until I can either afford to add an external DVD burner, or get another machine with a superdrive (probably the first choice).

The beautiful part is that I can do some iMovie editing running on the batteries in my family room watching tv for a couple of hours with enough power left to surf the web from bed!

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.