Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Kool, thanks arn! I was so pleased when the first beta came out, though they took their time about it....but I suppose later is better than never. :)

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I've read on Real Media's site, after 14 days of use, you have to pay $9.95 a month to use the Beta 2. Is this correct? If so, I'm happy sticking with the first beta release. I'm just glad to see Real Player for OS X.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by RBMaraman
Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I've read on Real Media's site, after 14 days of use, you have to pay $9.95 a month to use the Beta 2. Is this correct? If so, I'm happy sticking with the first beta release. I'm just glad to see Real Player for OS X.

How could they? All you give them is your name and email address.You can't charge an email account and there are probley quite a few people with your exact name.

I'm glad they updated it, now you can files with different codecs.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by mac15
we don't have half the features PC users do, its still not fair

It's not finished. You never know what they'll add to it, if there is demand (and payment) for it. They probably have never had enough RealPlayer Plus users on Macintoshes in the past to support the extra features development. (They should develop them anyway.)

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
RealONE

You pay for content with Real now... Certain things on the RealONE site work only with what they call a SuperPass. I'd assume this is to offset the cost of the high bandwidth. As for the app itself, it is still free...

I also must say that the few video streams I looked at on the realone.com site were quite impressive (high frame rates and very little distortion), better than most QuickTiem streams, not including mp4, which is awesome.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The $9.95 is for Real One +. You have access to things like MLB Audio and/or video Streams, some radio stations, and video/audio adjustments. Its similar to QT where you pay to be able to do some things with the program.

Up in the upper right hand corner you will see the link for the Free Player that is where you get it for free indefinately.

Glad to Help.
TEG

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Re: RealONE

Originally posted by FelixDerKater
I also must say that the few video streams I looked at on the realone.com site were quite impressive (high frame rates and very little distortion), better than most QuickTiem streams, not including mp4, which is awesome.

OK, I was hooked. I signed up for the 14 day free trial they have going for their SuperPass. I just wanted to see what the hype was all about.

I have to say it's pretty good. Real's sight has a bunch of streams, but other sites (Fox Sports, CNN... etc) seem to be in on this SuprePass too, because they will let you access streaming content with your Real ID/password.

And most of the streams look and sound great. They blow up to full screen size without getting very pixilated. I can really see the potential of this service. With the quality of the streams, I would feel very comfortable watching films/sports/tv shows through my computer. And pay $ even! ;)

Does anyone else have the SuperPass? Why do you like it? What do you usually watch? If not, I'd like to get others opinions about this. Is RealOne worth $10 a month. I've heard that Satellite Radio is the bomb, and that's $10 a month, I think. Is this SuperPass worth that much?

Oh, and you better believe that you've got to actively cancel your temp subscription before the 14 day period expires. If not, Real will charge you through the CC number that you need to enter in order to obtain access (standard slimy net stuff). You know the drill...
;)

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
i dont think i will ever want to use real player unless i have no other choice. i still remember how invasive the software was on my pc.... secretly putting files, icons, in my startup items. i hate that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.