Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Unfortunately, the time has come for me to begin recapping my collection. Priority candidates are my Mac IIci, SE/30, and Classic II - all of which are non-operable now due to leaky caps...and a 512k that works but will probably get done after I am more experienced. I'm not in a hurry, but I am planning to accumulate the parts and gear I need to recap the logic boards and power supplies. I've watched many, many YouTube videos and am good enough with soldering tools. I have a spare NOS in-the-box replacement IIci logic board that also needs recapping.

Any opinions on good sources for the recapping kits? Console5 seems to be a very popular source these days, does anyone here have experience with them?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I just buy them from Mouser. I guess it's more work finding all you need. But I think it'll help you get to know the parts better. As you'll need to learn all the specs about the caps to order the right ones. As there are tons of options.

West Florida Components (WFC) is also good. Their prices are better than Mouser but may not have some of the components you need. They also won't have as many brands to choose from.

If I'm ordering a lot of parts. I'll check out what WFC has to offer. Otherwise it's not worth the extra shipping to hit up two stores.

Since you sound like you have a lot to do. You may want to get a full list of capacitors for a bunch of your Macs. Both PSU and logicboard. Then do a bulk order of the components. Along with a screw drawer to organize everything. Also pick up a bunch of Mac floppy drive eject gears off eBay.

Besides price. As a beginner you also shouldn't rely on the kits because you're going to mess up. You want some spare parts. Otherwise you'll be waiting a week because you broke a capacitor on install or lost one.

Reactions: Lord Blackadder
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.