Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kasruesao1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2024
I used to be able to record from my cable box to my MBP via Firewire through ACVideoCap, but for some reason, my MBP is no longer recognizing the connection and it's not popping up anymore allowing me to record. I'm not sure if it's the port in my laptop or the cablebox, but I recently replaced the cable box, got a new Firewire cable and a new 400 to 800 adapter, so I think it's the port in my laptop (which is an old MBP 2011 I think). And I'm not really wanting to shell out money to get a Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire adapter for my 2017 MBP in case it doesn't work and the adapter is now discontinued so it's so much more money and not worth it.

That being said, the I think it's time to get a new, easier way to record TV (directly from cable box) to my MBP. I've read a little about Hauppauge and Elgato EyeTV, but would love some guidance! I don't mind having .m2t files as I can convert to mp4 or mov, but if there's something that makes it possible to go straight to mp4, that'd be awesome.

TLDR: Is Hauppauge or Elgato better for recording TV to watch later on MBP?

Last edited:

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.