Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tripsync

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 24, 2023
Reddit embeds seem to leave a large hole. Maybe remove embed and just link it directly?

Mod edit to add the link: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/32295867/

2023-07-03 20_24_36-Popular Reddit App Apollo Shutting Down After Today, Pixel Pals Migration ...png

Last edited by a moderator:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but MacRumors keeps autoformatting my link to a Reddit embed which I don't want it to do
You could try surrounding the URL with the [ p l a i n ] BB code [ / p l a i n ]

I'm assuming that @arn or one of the developers will need to make some changes (or even xenforo) to stop using the APIs and/or disable the translation. Being Independence day, this may not be resolved today.

tripsync

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 24, 2023
You could try surrounding the URL with the [ p l a i n ] BB code [ / p l a i n ]

I'm assuming that @arn or one of the developers will need to make some changes (or even xenforo) to stop using the APIs and/or disable the translation. Being Independence day, this may not be resolved today.

Alright I'll try that.

View attachment 2227853

It seems to be working now.
Ok this is weird.

Chrome Windows and Chrome Mac both still show a hole. Edge, Safari on Mac works fine. Chrome Windows and Chrome Mac incognito mode fixes this problem too. I think if I just cleared the site settings and login again, it might fix the problem

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Working on Safari, FireFox, and Chrome for me across Ventura 13.41.1 and iOS 16.5.1.

One thing I did notice was that my Firefox on iOS was set to Strict under tracking protection and that initially prevented the embeds from showing. Once ticked to "Standard", all was good. So stock guess of maybe an extension, privacy setting(s) being super strict, etc?

tripsync

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 24, 2023
Working on Safari, FireFox, and Chrome for me across Ventura 13.41.1 and iOS 16.5.1.

One thing I did notice was that my Firefox on iOS was set to Strict under tracking protection and that initially prevented the embeds from showing. Once ticked to "Standard", all was good. So stock guess of maybe an extension, privacy setting(s) being super strict, etc?
Turned off all extensions, still showed a hole.

I went into chrome dev tools to delete all site data. Logged back in and it showed properly. But when I refreshed the site, it is now showing a hole.

EDIT: refreshed it 4 more times, and it is now showing properly. I don't know what is going on...

EDIT2: refreshed it again, it's now showing a hole. seems to be random.

EDIT3: when I have chrome dev tools open, refreshing will always work. when I close it, it's a random game. i do not have disable cache checkboxed.

Last edited:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Just stumbled onto a post that did not embed, so me too re: hit/miss with this.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I haven't seen this working in months, but I thought it was just me so didn't say anything. I use Safari and Firefox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.