Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddhhddhh2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2021
Taipei
Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if this issue belongs in the Mac Pro discussion forum, but I thought it might be somewhat related. Here's the situation: my Mac Pro 5,1 is still in great working condition, and when I'm not at the office, I often use it for various tasks, even though I rarely do any multimedia or graphic design work these days. That is, until recently, when my girlfriend needed to use Adobe InDesign urgently. My 5,1 is running Monterey via OpenCore and has a flashed RX6600XT. Most of the time, I don't pay attention to performance issues because the RX6600XT is fast. However, she mentioned that InDesign felt slower compared to her 2019 MacBook Pro, and certainly much slower than an M1 Max. This caught my attention because, while the 5,1 is indeed quite old, the RX6600XT should provide sufficient performance. So, I took a closer look and discovered that when we checked the GPU options in InDesign, the RX6600XT was listed as unsupported for GPU acceleration. Interestingly, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator were able to utilize the RX6600XT without issues, which left me a bit puzzled. Since I don't normally use InDesign, I had never noticed this before.

I'm wondering if this is truly a software issue or a hardware problem. Could it be that the flashed ROM isn't recognized by InDesign? What are your thoughts on this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.