Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ph.rei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
Good evening. Is it possible to remove the update notification? I didn't download it and auto updates are off. But the notification is still there.
tvOS profile is not working. Any other way i can disable it?
Thank you

Attachments

• E1E74F46-DD9F-4C71-AE92-B9C0A0970872.jpeg
    E1E74F46-DD9F-4C71-AE92-B9C0A0970872.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 392

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
I'm pretty sure you can delete it from Settings > General > Phone Storage. However I'm sure it will eventually come back. Not really a permanent solution but could be good for temporary.

Reactions: ph.rei

ph.rei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
I understand. Thank you guys for the answers.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Downloading the update then deleting from Storage gets rid of it. I'm on 15.7.1 and have no badge.

You can do this by going to Settings > General > Software Update then long pressing on Download and Install and choosing Download Only. Then just delete it from Storage afterwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: ph.rei

ph.rei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
Niceee. But isn't gonna be triggered again by every update released after that?

ph.rei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
Is there a reason you don't just do the update? Generally better to stay current.
For the moment i enjoy battery life and i don't wanna start charging twice a day. I know is not a general issue but i have seen several complains regarding ios16.
Plus the notifications style. I really like them the way they are on ios 15.
Security wise, I don't really care.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dylan33x

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
There's a better solution that doesn't require the use of a computer.

All you need to do is download a free DNS proxy: it's an iOS app that runs a VPN profile and is compatible with devices as old as iOS 10 that, as of today, is below the lowest threshold set by developers of the iOS devices management software (iMazing, Explorer, WALTR etc.) requiring handshake with the host computer. Using such apps is bound by the necessity of having a certain iTunes version installed. DNSCloak alleviates this incongruity.

It filters Internet requests using a list of resolvers (such as adguard-dns). With it, you can either blacklist or whitelist domains and IP addresses. The app is on AppStore: DNSCloak on iOS AppStore. It accepts lists of domains in the form of text files.

Upon installing accept all prompts it will show, choose a resolver from the resolvers list, and turn on "On demand" in the settings. Once you're done, under Whitelist & Blacklist, toggle Enable Blacklist, Enable whitelist and Enable logging to monitor connections being made and tap Pick a blacklist file or Pick a whitelist file.

I made two lists - one that blacklists Apple domains related to software updates, and the other one that whitelists some domains responsible for iOS AppStore and Siri. The rules file must contain entries, one per line. I'm attaching my rules, for reference (I will update them from time to time, based on my findings: they block iOS updates, Viber ads as well as the Viber Explore section).

Attachments

• dns_whitelist_16.txt
    289 bytes · Views: 57
  • dns_blacklist_15.txt
    580 bytes · Views: 58
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.