Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuck954

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2023
I have replaced batteries on 3 different ipods that I own. Every time, the new battery gives me fluctuating charge readings and seems to drain rapidly even when the ipod is not used or is turned off. The fully charged battery will be dead in 24 hours. The 3 batteries I bought were from different battery manufacturers and different sellers. Am I that unlucky that all the batteries were bad?

OneRebertt

Suspended
Apr 17, 2020
It's possible that you've had bad luck with the batteries you've purchased, but it's also possible that there could be another issue causing the rapid battery drain.
  1. Make sure the batteries you purchased are compatible with your iPod Touch model. Some batteries may not work with certain models. If you are certain that you are using the correct battery, then it may be worth considering other potential causes of battery drain such as software issues or hardware problems.
  2. Check the battery connections inside your iPod Touch to make sure they are clean and secure. Sometimes a loose or dirty connection can cause issues with battery life.
  3. One possibility is that there is a problem with the charging circuitry in your iPod. This could be causing the battery to not charge properly or to discharge more quickly than it should. In this case I think you would need a new motherboard.
  4. Another possibility is that there is a software issue that is causing the battery to drain quickly, such as an app or setting that is consuming a lot of power. Try resetting your iPod Touch to its factory settings. Sometimes software glitches can cause battery drain issues, and resetting your device may fix the problem.
  5. If none of the above steps work, it's possible that there is a hardware issue with your iPod Touch. You may want to consider taking it to a repair shop or contacting Apple support for assistance.
In any case, it's worth trying different troubleshooting steps to see if you can pinpoint the issue. Good luck!

Chuck954

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2023
It's possible that you've had bad luck with the batteries you've purchased, but it's also possible that there could be another issue causing the rapid battery drain.
  1. Make sure the batteries you purchased are compatible with your iPod Touch model. Some batteries may not work with certain models. If you are certain that you are using the correct battery, then it may be worth considering other potential causes of battery drain such as software issues or hardware problems.
  2. Check the battery connections inside your iPod Touch to make sure they are clean and secure. Sometimes a loose or dirty connection can cause issues with battery life.
  3. One possibility is that there is a problem with the charging circuitry in your iPod. This could be causing the battery to not charge properly or to discharge more quickly than it should. In this case I think you would need a new motherboard.
  4. Another possibility is that there is a software issue that is causing the battery to drain quickly, such as an app or setting that is consuming a lot of power. Try resetting your iPod Touch to its factory settings. Sometimes software glitches can cause battery drain issues, and resetting your device may fix the problem.
  5. If none of the above steps work, it's possible that there is a hardware issue with your iPod Touch. You may want to consider taking it to a repair shop or contacting Apple support for assistance.
In any case, it's worth trying different troubleshooting steps to see if you can pinpoint the issue. Good luck!

Chuck954

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2023
Thanks for your reply and assistance. I reviewed your list and I don't think that any of your suggestions explain the problem. I was careful to buy the correct batteries for my 3 iPods from different sellers (and made by 3 different manufacturers) because I have read that some bad or old stock batteries are being sold out there. The fact that I am seeing similar problems with all 3 iPods leads me to believe that there might be some kind of software reset needed for the device power manager. I tried to fix this with 100% power to 0% power cycling and with a factory reset of the device. Or maybe, I'm just really unlucky and I bought 3 bad batteries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.