Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I still have my old Apple Series 6. It has the same chip as the Series 8 and Ultra 1, so it's still good to go.

But for some strange reason, the Ultra 2 is more comfortable on my wrist than the smaller Series 6.
Especially with a nice alpine loop! 😊

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Gut check: Best Buy still has a narrow selection of Ultra 1's (brand new, in box) on sale. The variety I'd be interested in is a very tempting $599. Good idea? Bad idea? Seems like a great way to save $200, but would love to hear if I'm missing something.

I already know I want an Ultra, so that's not in question. Currently have a Series 6 which still works fine, but my old man eyes are ready for a bigger screen and I spend a lot of time hiking and exploring in the back country here in Colorado; Running a hiking workout all day just destroys my 6's battery. I need more, of everything.

Reactions: BillGates1969

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
Gut check: Best Buy still has a narrow selection of Ultra 1's (brand new, in box) on sale. The variety I'd be interested in is a very tempting $599. Good idea? Bad idea? Seems like a great way to save $200, but would love to hear if I'm missing something.

I already know I want an Ultra, so that's not in question. Currently have a Series 6 which still works fine, but my old man eyes are ready for a bigger screen and I spend a lot of time hiking and exploring in the back country here in Colorado; Running a hiking workout all day just destroys my 6's battery. I need more, of everything.

I bought an Ultra 1 in May on offer (about £50 off) and was happy with it. I did though just upgrade to an Ultra 2 and sold my U1 back to apple for £340.

Not a huge difference and if you have the extra $200 spare, just do it and get a U2. However, IMO you wont be disappointed with the U1 at all.

Reactions: cateye

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal

Ultra2 has been on sale already for $100 off, so in my book that Best Buy deal you mention is not a deal

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Appreciate the responses. $200 is a decent discount, but maybe not enough. Yes, the Ultra 2 was $100 off during the holidays, but that time is over (and the Ultra 1 I'm looking at only dropped to $599 recently, so... what's the saying? "That's how they get you." ;) )

But, I'll keep an eye on it and Ultra 2 prices for now, no need to jump immediately.

Reactions: BillGates1969

Mirilobos

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2015
El Paso
Appreciate the responses. $200 is a decent discount, but maybe not enough. Yes, the Ultra 2 was $100 off during the holidays, but that time is over (and the Ultra 1 I'm looking at only dropped to $599 recently, so... what's the saying? "That's how they get you." ;) )

But, I'll keep an eye on it and Ultra 2 prices for now, no need to jump immediately.
Costco has the best prices in all Apple Watches.

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Well…. I gave the Ultra watch another chance, and still ended up feeling a slight fatigue in my wrist.

Felt ok on the first couple days, but today I felt it annoying the lower part of my arm.

Strap was tightened normally, not over tight, and I also tried my Series 8 strap but still same issue

Ultra 2 sent back and keeping my Series 8 SS :( wanted to love it but sadly it annoyed the hell out of my lower arm.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I have the Ultra2 for a week now, just been out and done a 5k run, no issues so far. My main reason for getting it was the battery life which is awesome for someone who uses it a lot in workouts every day.

Reactions: surfzen21

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
Not my fastest though, was 36:58. But I am 51 and not in the best shape, yet :)
Just keep going! That's what really matters. I'll have some runs close to that an then when the weather is good and I am feeling good I'll get sub 28 minute runs. Then Ill go back to over 30 minute runs.

A number of years ago I was running sub 25 minutes 5ks but Im not sure I will ever get back there or if I want to. Been adding biking too and its something I am enjoying again.

Any day you are sweating you are making progress. Just remember that.

All the best!

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
5k is my favourite too. I'm recovering from some calf issues and it's slow going, but I love being able to leave the phone and just take the Ultra, streaming Spotify to my AirPods.

• Love

CyberDavis

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2022
Not my fastest though, was 36:58. But I am 51 and not in the best shape, yet :)
Don’t worry about times or PB too much, at least you are going out and doing it.
I’m 56 and struggling to get my fitness back to where it was a a year ago after some injuries and health issues.
But for me the key is I’m still exercising and running.
I’ve just signed up for a run in September to give me something to aim for.
😀👍

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Given that all of us, without exception, are getting older, it would be nice if instead of just PB medals, Apple had a "best in last 12 months" type medal too. I'm almost 50. I'm exceptionally unlikely to beat my times from 5 years ago, but it would still be great to see some medals for otherwise outstanding performances.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Don’t worry about times or PB too much

Not too worried about PBs but having said that, was out tonight, and I don't mind a bit of bragging :)

ED9E414C-C5ED-4BF3-88FF-DB2EF0ACB1F6_1_105_c.jpeg

Dguitarnut

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
St Petersburg Fl.
Well…. I gave the Ultra watch another chance, and still ended up feeling a slight fatigue in my wrist.

Felt ok on the first couple days, but today I felt it annoying the lower part of my arm.

Strap was tightened normally, not over tight, and I also tried my Series 8 strap but still same issue

Ultra 2 sent back and keeping my Series 8 SS :( wanted to love it but sadly it annoyed the hell out of my lower arm.
OMG……………….i have heard it all now!

• Haha

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

I’ve tried the Ultra on for curiosity and it’s huge on my wrist, I wouldn’t be able to wear it as a daily watch personally but I suppose it’s for big people in general.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
The Apple Watch Ultra 2 is the best Apple watch I have ever used and would never think of returning it. The feel is great and the screen size is almost perfect for my wrist. I wear mine most of the time with the Stainless Steel Link Bracelet which gives it even more of a luxury watch look as it matches quite well with the titanium. No irritation or soreness of any kind.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
Got an Apple refurb Ultra 2 coming today, I had the original for a few months but ended up selling it and getting the S9 aluminium at release. Sold the aluminium S9 a couple of weeks ago and bought a SS S9 but returned it after 2 full weeks, hoping I like the Ultra 2! 😅

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.