Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
What rogue-lites/likes have you been playing? I ended up getting into these more when I got a Switch (perhaps a bit too overboard :\ ), but do want to hear what others are into in this genre.

I've been rotating through...
Spelunky
Hades
Exit The Gungeon
Dead Cells

I was going to write off Spelunky since permadeath hits you much harder there, but at least the games go fast (one way or another). Managed to almost beat the game.

The other 3 I'm just going to play from time-to-time, or just put on hiatus if time doesn't really allow for it.

Reactions: EmlynDewar

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
I've been playing a bit of Streets of Rogue lately after it had been on sale on the eshop. Very enjoyable game once you get in to it.
On PC, Vampire Survivors has been one I've been addicted to...

I still play Slay the Spire every day for the daily climb. It's by far my favourite rogue-like.

Reactions: ackmondual

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Not a traditional one, but Dicey Dungeons might count as a roguelite. I like it, takes a normal concept and makes a gimmick out of it that isn't halfbaked. Really makes you put your thinking cap on, and a lot of replayability. Also available on iOS ^-^

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I've been on a craving for Metal Gear so I pulled out my Vita and loaded onto it Portable Ops Plus. Portable Ops Plus is a standalone expansion to Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, in which the main story mode is replaced with a new mode called "Infinity Mission."

In Infinity Mission, you choose a character and are dropped into a randomized map with no equipment and must find equipment hidden in random areas, in a place filled with randomized enemies, with randomized objectives. If your character dies, they're gone for good. Yes, you could even lose Snake. If a playable main story character like Snake are "killed" you can get them back in a future run finding them locked up as prisoners of war. To get more characters to use on runs you had to kidnap enemies and load them onto a truck that also randomly spawned somewhere in the map.

With the randomized layouts, player characters, and missions, added with the fact every run you start with nothing and have to find all the equipment on site, and it makes for a great replayable stealth game. I wish we had more of this roguelike formula with other Metal Gear games since MGS5 feels samey a lot of the times since most just use the same loadouts, and Peace Walker had the same problem since the game was easily solvable since all the guards had set patrol patterns, unlike in Portable Ops Plus.

Reactions: KaliYoni

DisraeliGears

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
I've gotten into rogue-lites on Switch as well. Aside from the ones you mentioned, Moonlighter is pretty fun, and Undermine is legit one of the best I've played.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Not a traditional one, but Dicey Dungeons might count as a roguelite. I like it, takes a normal concept and makes a gimmick out of it that isn't halfbaked. Really makes you put your thinking cap on, and a lot of replayability. Also available on iOS ^-^
I forgot to mention Slice & Dice. Shockingly still NOT for iOS (but last I heard, the dev is working on it). I play it on Android, but it's also for Windows and macOS. Suggest folks buy it from the site directly since even though it's $10 there, it comes with access to all 3 platforms (And, Win, mac)

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I forgot to mention Slice & Dice. Shockingly still NOT for iOS (but last I heard, the dev is working on it). I play it on Android, but it's also for Windows and macOS. Suggest folks buy it from the site directly since even though it's $10 there, it comes with access to all 3 platforms (And, Win, mac)
Cool. I'll look into it when the iOS port releases :O

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Cool. I'll look into it when the iOS port releases :O
If we ever get to that point, looking forward to comparisons between Slice & Dice vs. Dicey Dungeons! Latter looks like I'd really enjoy it. It's just I'm too busy w/S&D, and don't think I could split my attention between two of those types of games at at the same time.* If nothing else, S&D is "pixel art". Dicey Dungeons looks high res and really polished although the storage requirements reflect that.. DD is 1 GB, while S&D is a few hundred MB.

* If nothing else, I also have Aisle of Arrows I put on hold (tower defense, roguelike, board game like, strategy... you get a random draw of cards that you use to create the terrain that the enemy units will follow, and towers and support stuff you use to stop them)

msmyrtle

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2023
I love Spelunky even if I really, really suck at it, I'm yet to try Hades, but I can contribute to this thread by recommending a little known gem: Crown Trick

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I love Spelunky even if I really, really suck at it, I'm yet to try Hades, but I can contribute to this thread by recommending a little known gem: Crown Trick
Well, good timing! It's on sale for Nintendo Switch for $5 (75% off)! Ends on July 30th, before midnight PDT

msmyrtle

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2023
Well, good timing! It's on sale for Nintendo Switch for $5 (75% off)! Ends on July 30th, before midnight PDT
What an awesome deal, thanks for letting me know! I got it on the ps4 but I feel like I'll pick it for the switch as well since it's excellent for playing in short bursts (like most turn-based games).
And for anyone who isn't familiar with Crown Trick - the game will quickly get under your skin and has unlimited replay value due to how the loot is randomized and the sheer number of useful items/combinations you can try. Saying that $5 for it is a bargain is a huuge understatement!

Reactions: philosophree

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Nintendo just announced a new roguelike. Their colorful squid/octopus shooter Splatoon 3 is getting a big expansion in Spring next year at the start of Splatoon 3's Fresh Season called Side Order.

Side Order is a roguelike single player mode where you ascend a tower building your kit as you go, designed to be replayed over and over again in their words.

Amishpriest

macrumors member
May 15, 2022
Montgomery Village, MD
I've most recently played/been playing Vampire Survivors and Slay the Spire. I feel like I've hit a wall with the latter...maybe I'm just not particularly good with deck-building/strategizing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.