Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
French website iPhonesoft suggests that this year’s iOS release will support all of the same devices as iOS 13 did last year, but iPadOS will not. iOS 14 will continue to to support the iPhone SE as well as the iPhone 6s. Every other device introduced since then will also be supported supposedly.

iOS 14 projected supported devices:

iPhone 11 Pro
iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPhone 11
iPhone XS
iPhone XS Max
iPhone XR
iPhone X
iPhone 8
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone 7
iPhone 7 Plus
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone SE
iPod touch (7th generation)

Source: 9to5 Mac.

If this is true, which it very well may not be, ill be a happy camper with my iPhone 7!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If this is true, which it very well may not be, ill be a happy camper with my iPhone 7!
I just don't see the A10 iPhone 7 getting dropped this soon when Apple just introduced the new iPod touch and iPad with A10. Indeed, the iPt is running a slower lower clocked version afaik.

If rumors of the SE2/9 pan out, I'll be replacing the 7 anyway. Battery's just not up to par any longer and I'd love to get dual SIM support. eSIM + Nano SIM is workable, although I'd really rather prefer dual Nano SIMs like in China.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
90% chance SE2 won't get eSim. No rumour has suggested it will thus far. But you might get lucky.

Yes, SE2 will have better battery than X/XS on iOS 14.

brucemr

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2019
iPhone 7 will be supported thru at least iOS 15.

If info is true however, Apple is setting themselves up for some very disappointed iPad mini 4 owners. They were still being sold up thru April 2019, meaning people who bought one late in cycle would only get 1 iOS update (13). That is ridiculous. But it might be true, as they dropped the iPhone 6 w/ same A8 chip last year. The root cause is that Apple continued to sell the mini 4 way longer than normal.

Reactions: na1577 and Jxdawg

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I just don't see the A10 iPhone 7 getting dropped this soon when Apple just introduced the new iPod touch and iPad with A10. Indeed, the iPt is running a slower lower clocked version afaik.

If rumors of the SE2/9 pan out, I'll be replacing the 7 anyway. Battery's just not up to par any longer and I'd love to get dual SIM support. eSIM + Nano SIM is workable, although I'd really rather prefer dual Nano SIMs like in China.

This makes me wonder if Apple made the right call in using older components in some of their newer products. Sure, they save a few bucks upfront, but it also means that they may feel obligated to support their products longer than it might be feasible to. Not that my friends still on their iPhone 7s would complain, but it does make me wonder if this was always the plan.

Anyways, sounds like iOS 14 is intended to be a bug fix for iOS 13. Can’t complain with that, but I also wonder if this is going to be the trend moving forward. One year of updates that introduce a ton of new features, but also bring a whole host of bugs to go along with it, with the following year focusing on bug fixing.

Reactions: na1577

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
90% chance SE2 won't get eSim. No rumour has suggested it will thus far. But you might get lucky.
I don’t recall the rumor mill mentioning eSIM for the entry level 10.2” iPad either and yet it did get it so I’m quite hopeful.
[automerge]1580110985[/automerge]
This makes me wonder if Apple made the right call in using older components in some of their newer products. Sure, they save a few bucks upfront, but it also means that they may feel obligated to support their products longer than it might be feasible to. Not that my friends still on their iPhone 7s would complain, but it does make me wonder if this was always the plan.
With how fast chipsets are now, I don’t think it’s much of a hardship for Apple. Plenty of budget to mid-range Android that are likely well below A9 performance.

We have iPad 5 (A9/2GB) and 6 (A10/2GB) running iPadOS and they run just as fast as they did on iOS 12. Really, only issue apart from bugs is RAM. 2GB’s fine for most single tasks, not so much for heavy multitasking.

Last edited:

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
I don’t recall the rumor mill mentioning eSIM for the entry level 10.2” iPad either and yet it did get it so I’m quite hopeful.
[automerge]1580110985[/automerge]

With how fast chipsets are now, I don’t think it’s much of a hardship for Apple. Plenty of budget to mid-range Android that are likely well below A9 performance.

We have iPad 5 (A9/2GB) and 6 (A10/2GB) running iPadOS and they run just as fast as they did on iOS 12. Really, only issue apart from bugs is RAM. 2GB’s fine for most single tasks, not so much for heavy multitasking.

In using both the iPad 6th gen and iPad Pro current gen, there is a VERY noticeable difference in performance. Really it comes down to the wide divide between the A10x and A12x. I was shocked when Apple didn’t update the A10 in the 7th gen iPad, but also happy as a iPad 6th gen owner.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
iPadOS however won't support the A8 devices, as far as I have heard. What will this mean for the Apple TV HD? Hopefully there's new hardware incoming!

Reactions: Jxdawg

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney

Yes, SE2 will have better battery than X/XS on iOS 14.

Let’s see now to prove your silly claim wrong About E sim

Air 3 has Esim
Mini 5 has Esim
Heck even 7th gen iPad has e sim and they have older processors and have been released before that Phone

it will get E sim I’m sure, one thing it won’t get for sure is 3D Touch because obviously the other newer iPhones don’t have it.

Reactions: na1577

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Let’s see now to prove your silly claim wrong About E sim

Air 3 has Esim
Mini 5 has Esim
Heck even 7th gen iPad has e sim and they have older processors and have been released before that Phone

it will get E sim I’m sure, one thing it won’t get for sure is 3D Touch because obviously the other newer iPhones don’t have it.

Hardly the same thing. Those are iPads. No rumour has ever said the budget iPhone would get dual sim.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Hardly the same thing. Those are iPads. No rumour has ever said the budget iPhone would get dual sim.

so what if no rumor says it. Esim has been in the iPhone/iPad Pro lineup since the 2018 releases and secondly when it comes to the hardware of E sim it takes up the smallest space, like a needle in a haystack,

plus thirdly, despite this model having less features to cut costs like Touch ID/Face ID and a single camera etc E sim isn’t a big or huge feature to be exclusive to one iPhone or iPad Pro model like Siri was for the 4S or Touch ID to the 5s and the iPad lineup got both options like a year later All the iPad line Apple sells now has it and not counting the Pro model, the other lineups gotten esim fairly quickly (the A12 iPads were released in March last year)

Remember this, like the SE was a 5s but with more features, this phone will be an 8 model but with better features, again E sim is a feature which despite going to the 2018 phones, all the iPads Apple sells today has it

it will get it since this iPhone will price more than some of the iPads

Reactions: brucemr and na1577

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
French website iPhonesoft suggests that this year’s iOS release will support all of the same devices as iOS 13 did last year, but iPadOS will not. iOS 14 will continue to to support the iPhone SE as well as the iPhone 6s. Every other device introduced since then will also be supported supposedly.

One might hope that's the result of them fixing all the things wrong with current iOS (and its many, many 'updates' since) and their apps, rather than adding more shiny 'bells and whistles', which invariably don't work as hoped and break something else.
Or they've just hit that realization that really there's very little else they can do that's 'one more thing' enough for users to care - and rather than lose customers to other, cheaper devices, it's best to keep the one's you've got happy.

brucemr

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2019
Yes, all new iPhone and iPad models introduced in most countries since sept 2018 have eSim. Apple Watch had it in 2017.

Certain iPads had the embedded Apple Sim, which is the same concept, in 2016.

iPads as early as 2014 accepted the physical Apple sim card, which is also the same concept (multiple carriers, 1 sim).

So, beginning in 2014 Apple has steadily moved toward some sort of multiple carrier sim provided by them. By 2018, they had it on everything.

Apple has obviously not done this to reduce manufacturing cost on iPads or iPhones...they still include a Sim card tray as well.

An Apple sim of any of the 3 types mentioned above puts Apple in the position of “sim gatekeeper” regrading carriers that can activate on it. They can monetize that situation.

I will therefore be surprised if SE2 does not have eSim.

Reactions: Jxdawg

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
Yes, all new iPhone and iPad models introduced in most countries since sept 2018 have eSim. Apple Watch had it in 2017.

Certain iPads had the embedded Apple Sim, which is the same concept, in 2016.

iPads as early as 2014 accepted the physical Apple sim card, which is also the same concept (multiple carriers, 1 sim).

So, beginning in 2014 Apple has steadily moved toward some sort of multiple carrier sim provided by them. By 2018, they had it on everything.

Apple has obviously not done this to reduce manufacturing cost on iPads or iPhones...they still include a Sim card tray as well.

An Apple sim of any of the 3 types mentioned above puts Apple in the position of “sim gatekeeper” regrading carriers that can activate on it. They can monetize that situation.

I will therefore be surprised if SE2 does not have eSim.

I agree with your assessment. I think it would be more surprising if it did NOT have esim.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
For the iPad at least, I think it does simplify manufacturing. They get to skip SIM card inventory and labor/step of inserting Nano SIM cards into the trays. My AT&T iPad Pro 2nd gen didn't come with a physical Nano SIM. The plan was on the Embedded Apple SIM.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple plans on moving to something similar on iPhones at least in the US.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
your late with the report

it has all ready been talk about here

Reactions: brucemr
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.