Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
At the latest Samsung Unpacked event (2024) Samsung not only unveiled the S24 series, they also showed off a whole new product called the Galaxy Ring. The product has been rumoured for a while but has never officially been confirmed by Samsung until the unpacked event. It looks to be a direct competitor for the Oura Ring.

With Samsung having the Galaxy Watch, will this new Galaxy Ring, steal some of its thunder especially when it comes to health features.

Just thought I would open up a thread so that we can all discuss what we think, comment and give opinions on this new device. Samsung never gave a release date and only teased it within the last few minutes of the keynote.

Reactions: lostPod and jamezr

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Good idea for a thread holder.

Although I don't think that until they get hologram technology down the idea isn't that viable.

I mean if I could use a smart ring just like a smart watch with a holographic projector screen to interact with it could replace both a phone and watch mostly.

But for now, it just seems like another useless gadget. So you have a galaxy phone, Galaxy watch, Galaxy ring, Galaxy tab, and Galaxy book pro. Do I need this much connection??

• Sad
Reactions: DeepIn2U

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Good idea for a thread holder.

Although I don't think that until they get hologram technology down the idea isn't that viable.

I mean if I could use a smart ring just like a smart watch with a holographic projector screen to interact with it could replace both a phone and watch mostly.

But for now, it just seems like another useless gadget. So you have a galaxy phone, Galaxy watch, Galaxy ring, Galaxy tab, and Galaxy book pro. Do I need this much connection??

Useless gadget, what? Because it cannot have a screen/display for a human to visually gawk at?

AirTags+SamsungTags = pretty useful for their designed target task of tracking large items from being misplaced, stolen or sent to another geological location. Do they really NEED displays to do what their target isolated intended use case? Noooope. That's what the watch and smartphone are for, and much more imperical data is needed.

Now let's say you're "Legally Blind" severe or uncontrolled losses of visual acuity (legally blind)? What is a watch going do do for you?! Alarm, Beep - oh wait you'll NEED to know how to navigate all the functions - Watches are NOT yet programmed correctly for this from the startup.

A watch and ring are secondary devices.
Just like a Wife and a Husband are THEY KEY parts of a relationship and marriage ... the ring (despite brides to be may argue) is NOT ever as important to whom you're courting, dating marrying and sharing your entire soul and life in harmony with.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
My question is how do we charge the ring? I don't often remove my wedding ring unless I'm going through the MRI machine and then I realize the ring is on pretty tight and it's difficult to get past that first knuckle. I don't really want to deal with that on a daily basis to charge a Galaxy Ring.

Plus rings spin on your finger. If there's some type of display then you'll often need to orient the ring to read it properly. I am not sold on the Oura Ring and don't have high hopes for the Galaxy Ring.

Give me some smart glasses that overlays info or can zoom to see far objects and I'll happily get that!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
My question is how do we charge the ring? I don't often remove my wedding ring unless I'm going through the MRI machine and then I realize the ring is on pretty tight and it's difficult to get past that first knuckle. I don't really want to deal with that on a daily basis to charge a Galaxy Ring.

Plus rings spin on your finger. If there's some type of display then you'll often need to orient the ring to read it properly. I am not sold on the Oura Ring and don't have high hopes for the Galaxy Ring.
Yeah, I’m not interested in a smart ring… I’m completely okay with wearing a smartwatch. Not sure the point in adding another wearable technology… when there’s so much more to do under the smartwatch.

From battery performance, adding a camera to it for quick video calls… better support for native apps. There’s so much that revolves around being handicapped to the smartphone when using a smartwatch. I want the smartwatch to evolve into more than an accessory to a smartphone.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yeah, I’m not interested in a smart ring… I’m completely okay with wearing a smartwatch. Not sure the point in adding another wearable technology… when there’s so much more to do under the smartwatch.

From battery performance, adding a camera to it for quick video calls… better support for native apps. There’s so much that revolves around being handicapped to the smartphone when using a smartwatch. I want the smartwatch to evolve into more than an accessory to a smartphone.

The point of adding another wearable technology is for a few reasons:

1. Not everyone likes digital watches. There are many upper echelons in this world that value their traditional or more expensive watches - eventually I'll own a Breitling Navitimer B01 (latest generation) which is over $12K US. Not just for symobolism or reward but to learn how to manually use its calculator on the dial. ;)

2. Potential: Smart Rings could possibly allow for deeper submerged water resistance at lower levels below the water, or as measured more resistant to atmospheres.

3. Subtle. A smart ring is a LOT more subtle and more fashionable (when designed right) than a smart watch.

4. Data collection - no interaction: Imagine this upcoming summer olympics, which Samsung is sponsoring a LOT of athletes for all have smart rings. In particular the swimmers and divers and sychronized swimmers .

- Ring offers more comfort than a watch.
- Ring offers less drag underwater than a watch - it's sleekness actually lessons the physical impact in the present conciousness to such a wearer.
- Ring doesn't have to power a screen and thus lasts a LOT longer on a charge! Until battery technology significantly advances along the rate of SoC's for the watches the ring is a lot better for fitness tracking.
- Ring doesn't have a BRAND or BRAND-Design. This by design means nobody has to advertise the company that makes it, and also there is no need for social clicks to be established. A more adult like way to purchase and own.

Sleep tracking as a LOT more usefulness for EVERY user than how much calories and steps they take as it has a DIRECT correlation to their mental health, mental performance, and mental accuity than anything else! bar-none!

I like the Samsung Galaxy Watch S6 Classic, but I've not yet owned one due to limited stock and its not something I'd like to purchase used: issues with ownership, receipts, repairs etc are unknown to me.

I have a feeling in the first 1.5yrs that the Samsung Galaxy Ring will outsell the Galaxy Watch - IF 9/10 of the measurements are included in the product. You'll see Samsung Health adjust accordingly as well; we've already seen the push from Samsung with Sleep tracking with the Watch S6 Classic/S6.

PS: The S6 or upcoming S7 SHOULD have a minium 64GB of storage available to the user - music is a big need for this.

Reactions: Ludatyk

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
My experience with galaxy watches is that the metrics they give aren't very accurate compared to competitors, that being the case I'm more than a little concerned that their ring will be no better.

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
Tbh I review the metrics from my Garmin on my phone so lack of display isn't a deal breaker. The overlap with my Garmin forerunner 265 is tho9

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
My experience with galaxy watches is that the metrics they give aren't very accurate compared to competitors, that being the case I'm more than a little concerned that their ring will be no better.
It's hard to judge what compromises people find acceptable as all these didgital watches have their strengths and weakness

I agree professionals that rely on some metrics are unlikely to use the Galaxy watch or even Apple watch

The only thing they all have in common is relatively short lifespans compared to traditional watches

The ring i see as more as an aid to the watch, if you like a second sensor to increase functionality and improve metrics in certain circumstances

If the ring can also aid say visually impairments when linked to new AI capabilities then this would be outstanding

I am interested to see where the ring can lead too, but personally I doubt I would wear a ring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.