Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
I can’t wait until I have to support a family member who installed this or got stuck in it somehow.
indeed! "Well I downloaded it via a Facebook link, that said it came with free ponies!!! Oddly, it is charging me $100/week and I cant seem to find the button/process to ask for a refund, I even asked Apple for help and they were mean and said they could not help."

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Of course the app only exists because of EU law. But do enough customers actually care for such a solution so they can make revenue?

Reactions: shadowboi

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Cool, although this may backfire for MacPaw. Are they removing their apps from Apple’s App Store in the EU?
MacPaw has never had App Store apps in the first place. Except the Unarchiver that they have purchased some time ago.

They own a lot of quite useless products such as Clean My Mac (which I suspect has always been a spyware) and their own SetApp app store.

Honestly idk what they are trying to sell while having no actual product. Everyone have been placing their apps either outside the Apple App Store on websites (for Macs) or on the App Store

Reactions: WylyQuimby

cjsuk

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2024
Are you in the EU?? If not, it won't bother you in the slightest. And if the family member is that clueless, they won't know Setapp exists in the first place.

So your glib little comment fails in all cases.

Yes I am.

My clueless family members also have crapware infested windows laptops. There are small gang wars occurring inside them between multiple antivirus products and VPNs that adverts on YouTube told them to buy and the malware they downloaded from promoted links on google. The casualties are the innocent bystanders (their data).

One cries into their bottom end HP eMMC equipped laptop with two broken hinges “why oh why are all my photos gone and who is this guy in russia asking me for €1000 to get them back”.

That’s going to be their iPads too. It’s bad enough trying to get NordVPN off everything.

NeutraLNinja

Suspended
May 7, 2024
Fragmented App Stores here we come.

I will never forgive Epic and Spotify for starting this crap.
Epic and Spotify didn't really do anything, their problem was with the payment commission, they didn't advocate for side-loading or 3rd party app stores.
Also Apple is just in the same large bucket Google, Facebook and Microsoft and others are, these measures weren't created with dedication for them.

NeutraLNinja

Suspended
May 7, 2024
Subscription model….enough said…so the Devs instead of paying fees to apple, they will pay to 3rd party app store..of course the early price is tempting, but sooner or later greed card will hit them as well…
It's all about competition.
If they won't be successful they will have to reduce the price, or change the model or they will go under. But at least they have the option to try, which is a good thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lyrics23

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
I am all for alternative app markets and a more open platform. Competition will only make Apple improve thins for everyone. Emulators have been most welcome but you also only need to look at how staid Android and iOS have both become with only each other for company. Its a shame there is no room for extra operating systems to demonstrate new ideas.

But I will still stick with the App Store. Why? Legacy support. Apple don't get enough credit for their continued hosting of old app versions. This means I can go as far back as an iPhone 4 and still redownload old purchases and provided they are local apps they run as well as they ever did. To do this on Android requires sideloading from questionable web sites.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I mean, Apple is providing some of the infrastructure still.

Yes, and apps brings more customers to buy iPhones.

That's the incentive loop that exists with computers. Anyone can build a Mac app and sell it online without going through App Store, nor pay some fee per install to Apple. If all developers withdrew from Mac, no one would buy them no matter how good the performance is.

Somehow, Apple fooled everyone into thinking that it's now OK to pay a fee per install on mobiles.
Apple IS getting paid by customers choosing to buy iPhones and pay for the online services from Apple like iCloud, etc.

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
I mean, Apple is providing some of the infrastructure still.
Apple should follow this path instead of highway robbery. So instead of collecting bridge tolls, Apple should sell APNS, iCloud storage and InApp Payment service - for a reasonable and competitive price. And there could be so much more services to earn money - database infrastructure with remote and auto sync, MQTT with IoT hub, digital twin service for apps - just to name a few. But Tim is too stubborn and blind to realise that there is money lying on the ground.

This is the way and the only way to go.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Apple should follow this path instead of highway robbery. So instead of collecting bridge tolls, Apple should sell APNS, iCloud storage and InApp Payment service - for a reasonable and competitive price. And there could be so much more services to earn money - database infrastructure with remote and auto sync, MQTT with IoT hub, digital twin service for apps - just to name a few. But Tim is too stubborn and blind to realise that there is money lying on the ground.

Cloud Service providers such as AWS and Azure pretty much got that wrapped up.

YoitsTmac

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Yes, and apps brings more customers to buy iPhones.

That's the incentive loop that exists with computers. Anyone can build a Mac app and sell it online without going through App Store, nor pay some fee per install to Apple. If all developers withdrew from Mac, no one would buy them no matter how good the performance is.

Somehow, Apple fooled everyone into thinking that it's now OK to pay a fee per install on mobiles.
Apple IS getting paid by customers choosing to buy iPhones and pay for the online services from Apple like iCloud, etc.
People constantly forget that Apple also provides thousands of SDKs and frameworks that make app development so much easier. It ensures device-wide compatibility and higher guaranteed compatibility with future OS and device updates. This is normally priced into the 30 or 15% commission, but is now also why the Core Technology Fee exists.

However, apps that don’t use any Apple SDKs should’nt have to pay anything, in my opinion. But I also believe Apple giving you access to millions of customers does have some value that is worth more than $0.

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
MacPaw has never had App Store apps in the first place. Except the Unarchiver that they have purchased some time ago.

They own a lot of quite useless products such as Clean My Mac (which I suspect has always been a spyware) and their own SetApp app store.

Honestly idk what they are trying to sell while having no actual product. Everyone have been placing their apps either outside the Apple App Store on websites (for Macs) or on the App Store
They also have a VPN, photo duplicate remover and CleanMyPhone apps for iOS. They all work fine.
I especially like CleanMyMac. It’s definitely not spyware. Even found a Trojan horse on my Mac. And it’s ideal to completely uninstall apps, update third party apps and remove old junk.

• Disagree
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

CapitalIdea

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2022
Epic and Spotify didn't really do anything, their problem was with the payment commission, they didn't advocate for side-loading or 3rd party app stores.
Also Apple is just in the same large bucket Google, Facebook and Microsoft and others are, these measures weren't created with dedication for them.

The same commission Epic charges on its own. And why doesn’t Spotify pay their artists while throwing so many hundreds of millions at banner podcasts that cause them to operate at a loss?

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
I was a Setapp subscriber for a while. Seemed like a great deal! But as soon as you stop paying that ONE subscription fee, then ALL apps stop working. That model doesn't work for me. I prefer to pick and choose which apps that I'm financing at any given time, not the all-or-nothing approach that Setapp takes, regardless of the price.

Yeah, it's like Apple+, Apple Arcade or Netflix ... but for general purpose apps and some. Does not work for you? It is ok. You now have multiple suppliers. Choose the software supplier delivering you the most value for the money.

I don't think anybody is arguing against an open market. The problem is that humans can't be trusted! Way too many that will take advantage of others without blinking an eye. Apple's model protected us from that darkness.

Yeah. Apple is the new tech Jesus. It came to save the world from any and all other businesses and some, those entities of darkness.

The bwash is strong on Apple.

Last edited:

CapitalIdea

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2022

Love how people always want Apple to just copy other companies’ business models and then imply that somehow they would run Apple better than Tim Cook. Why aren’t you CEO then, and what business sense for Apple does it make to go directly against AWS and Azure who have already commoditized that space?

• Angry

Hails09

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
Yes I am.

My clueless family members also have crapware infested windows laptops. There are small gang wars occurring inside them between multiple antivirus products and VPNs that adverts on YouTube told them to buy and the malware they downloaded from promoted links on google. The casualties are the innocent bystanders (their data).

One cries into their bottom end HP eMMC equipped laptop with two broken hinges “why oh why are all my photos gone and who is this guy in russia asking me for €1000 to get them back”.

That’s going to be their iPads too. It’s bad enough trying to get NordVPN off everything.
Well that’s more fool them for believing this rubbish

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
Lol EU users get ready to subscribe to a bunch of setapp alternatives

120 dollars a year for these apps.

That’s 1200 a decade.

Over a the long term these cost a lot more than just buying only the software you need.

Subscriptions are going to leave a lot of people very poor and broke when they are very old. Rent seeking software on top of greedy landlords are going to destroy a lot of lives in the long term.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
What risks? The exacte same apps you get from this store are also available in the regular App Store. But as individual purchases/subscriptions and therefore likely more expensive.

Unlikely they will remove their own apps or demand to remove the third party apps from the App Store.

That’s the beauty of this evolution: want to purchase the apps from the App Store? you can. Want to rent them through the subscription model of Setapp? You can as well. Everyone crying this EU-law would be the end of civilisation is simply flat out wrong.

The DMA makes iOS a less closed system, less uniform, more complex and less controlled by Apple. It gives developers more powers.

Since I consider developers to be harmful and horrible people until proven otherwise, it's not something I'm looking forward to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.