Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dslrjunky

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
My 15 Pro Max also starts to burn in around keyboard and status bar elements 😖

That’s disappointing…

Btw… Apple rep told me can’t see anything wrong in this photo 🤨

I could see a faint outline of the keyboard, not keys, but I do see the outline.

O.N.Y.X

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
Vienna
15 pages and counting of an (obviously) serious issue and the Macrumors staff seems to be ignoring it completely. No mention on the site whatsoever. :rolleyes:

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
How many iPhones sold per year? iphone 15 already sold millions of units, to qualify as limited issue only one or two people can have the same problem? You got some extreme standards.
How many iPhone 14 Pros did Apple sell in the past year and how many screens had this kind of burn in or image retention like this? It’s the same screen between the 14 Pro and 15 Pro. And it’s not one or two people; between here and Reddit there are maybe 20 examples within the past week or two, and that’s just the people who took the time to post on a public forum.

Some examples:

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/179tfrb
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/1791mkn
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/178gmxs
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/17898qc
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/177pz8k
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/177o8ec
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/177mnwq
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/177jsqv
All of these are within the past three days only.

Last edited:

Jay3197

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
While the screen burn in issue definitely does suck, at the end of the day guys it’s just a phone. One that many of you will replace once the 16 is announced and the other half will keep for a while longer. Nothing remains new forever. If it does develop this burn in issue I’m sure Apple will replace it no questions asked. Enjoy the phone for what it is and stop worrying about it being perfect. Nothing in this world is perfect.

Reactions: lisek99 and krspkbl

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
While the screen burn in issue definitely does suck, at the end of the day guys it’s just a phone. One that many of you will replace once the 16 is announced and the other half will keep for a while longer. Nothing remains new forever. If it does develop this burn in issue I’m sure Apple will replace it no questions asked. Enjoy the phone for what it is and stop worrying about it being perfect. Nothing in this world is perfect.
that's true but displays should not be displaying burn in after a week of usage or under a month from release. there is something wrong if they are burning in that quickly but yeah if it happens to you then Apple will replace it. we've all got warranty so take it right back.

i own loads of OLED devices and have never seen burn in. i'm not saying it doesn't happen but any good quality oled display should have high resistance to burn in and shouldn't happen during normal usage.in my experience i'd have to try and go out of my way to get it to happen and that'd take hundreds of hours at max brightness.

Jay3197

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
that's true but displays should not be displaying burn in after a week of usage or under a month from release. there is something wrong if they are burning in that quickly but yeah if it happens to you then Apple will replace it. we've all got warranty so take it right back.

i own loads of OLED devices and have never seen burn in. i'm not saying it doesn't happen but any good quality oled display should have high resistance to burn in and shouldn't happen during normal usage.in my experience i'd have to try and go out of my way to get it to happen and that'd take hundreds of hours at max brightness.
100% I agree these panels should not be rendering this issue so early on. The more we focus on all the negatives is the less we will actually enjoy our crafty little devices. Overall they are still great although clearly there are some quality control issues. I would hope if this is truly a massive issue, Apple would protect its brand and make things right. I wasn’t team Apple during the iPhone 4 days (you’re holding it wrong). Not sure how the masses felt about simply being provided a bumper and calling it a fix. I hope Apple has come a long way since then if history was to repeat itself.

Tokenfreak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max 512 GB and my screen is now showing the burn-in as well. I have been using an iPhone since the iPhone 4s and never had an issue with any iPhone until now. It just unbelievable to me. I'm not sure what to do about it.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max 512 GB and my screen is now showing the burn-in as well. I have been using an iPhone since the iPhone 4s and never had an issue with any iPhone until now. It just unbelievable to me. I'm not sure what to do about it.
At a wild guess, maybe you should take it back to Apple for a free replacement under warranty? Just a thought.

Jkeith85

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2015
This is dumb. It should not happen on a new, expensive, phone like this. Get outta here with that just deal with it.

Reactions: f1restarter

Appie11

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2021
I have a Iphone max Pro 12 and after all this talk I decided to check my phone and I seem to have a issue where the keyboard shows in the background.

My phone is old so Apple I doubt will even care but will it get worse?

Attachments

• IMG_2590.jpeg
    IMG_2590.jpeg
    666.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0232.jpeg
    IMG_0232.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0232.jpeg
    IMG_0232.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 112

MOTiiVHATE`

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015
Use the support app and get them to mail one to you
Is this an AppleCare+ thing? I messaged them through the support app for an express replacement and they told me it would be a $359 fee and I would need to send my iPhone 15 Pro back to them in advance for evaluation.

hieubui

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2017
People with burned in phones. Does your phone overheat a lot? I’ve read somewhere that heat contributes to burn in as well.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Is this an AppleCare+ thing? I messaged them through the support app for an express replacement and they told me it would be a $359 fee and I would need to send my iPhone 15 Pro back to them in advance for evaluation.
I mean, not everyone has an Apple Store.

Express replacement you likely need AppleCare+ or be without your phone? Not sure. You're likely sending it in to depot for repair and they send the phone repaired back to you. Where express replacement is a brand new phone.

Last edited:

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
so it's a software issue? will be interested to see if this fixes the "Burn in".

i found it odd that a screen can burn in so badly that quickly so maybe it's a visual glitch due to software.

Tokenfreak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
People with burned in phones. Does your phone overheat a lot? I’ve read somewhere that heat contributes to burn in as well.
Mine has never even got hot. I never even keep things on my screen statically for a long time and I don't even use the highest brightness setting. So not sure why mine has burn in for. So sad.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
No, not even a little hot in the first 12 days when I first noticed the problem.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Mine has never even got hot. I never even keep things on my screen statically for a long time and I don't even use the highest brightness setting. So not sure why mine has burn in for. So sad.
according to 17.1 notes it could be a software issue

"Fixes an issue that may cause display image persistence"

screens, even ****** low quality ones, shouldn't be burning in <1 month of usage even with lots of static images on high brightness. maybe if you went out your way and left it on for 24/7 for a week or two!

Reactions: hieubui and dantay
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.