Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
I have had zero heat issues whatsoever on my 15 PM. Nothing worse than any of the last 4 iPhones. Actually 13 Pro was way worse at launch until I installed Wipr. Since then 14 Pro and 15 Pro had no heat issues.
Just means you don’t use Instagram. I don’t know why people keep thinking it’s all Apple’s fault. Instagram is a hot mess. Everyone I know who has problem with overheat has Instatrash running.

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
Yeah, not extremely worried between not being 14 days old plus having AppleCare+... just VERY surprised it happened at all and so quickly. (and that no one else seemingly had the issue)
I definitely don’t use my iPhone bright at all. I see people like my sister and I wonder how she isn’t blind as she has her brightness all the way up. But even then, if Apple allows it as a setting they should guarantee it won’t ruin your display. That’s messed up. Sorry. I hope you get a new iPhone and have no further problems.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Just means you don’t use Instagram. I don’t know why people keep thinking it’s all Apple’s fault. Instagram is a hot mess. Everyone I know who has problem with overheat has Instatrash running.
You are correct. Not on the Gram.

Reactions: that be me

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I wonder if that’s Meta bullying Apple or Apple bullying Meta. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
No way that would happen in a few days, also that’s got big bezels that’s not the new phone just the wallpaper, prove it’s the 15 series
All due respect, look at all my past posts. this is not a bait and switch or clout chasing.

1695792926345-jpeg.2282296

1695792985312-jpeg.2282298

1695793008991-jpeg.2282299

1696382980869-jpeg.2287990

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
So, I will try a reboot but to get a space dark enough now that its daytime will be a bit annoying. I will have to go under some blankets or something as my basement is being remodeled after a flood and I don't have anywhere in my house/property that doesn't have a window that allows in light. Not even closets(its a weird 100 year old bungalow).

I do have Auto-Brightness disabled in Accessibility but the phone is still rarely at peak brightness and I have not used the phone in full sunlight for more than 3-5 min total. Been overcast and I don't use it outside much at all.

That setting has also been disabled since it was an option on all my OLED iPhones without any hint of burn-in on those(vaguely remember that being moved from the main Display settings into Accessibility in the last few years of iOS)
Why do you disable that function? Is it a necessity? It looks like an extreme case of burn in by having the display permanently switched on (and charged) like in a store or something. Was it a new phone out of the box?

Also: why would you need a dark room to reboot? I don’t understand.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Like I said you might have the new phone cool but that first phone with the burn it isn’t the 15 series in my opinion, there is zero chance burn in will happen in a week

cygy2k

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2005
It's showing app icons, which you'd have to try to keep the phone on to a home page in order to even show beyond a few seconds. And there is absolutely no way it can physically be burn in in such short time.

It's either an image retention issue, software bug, fault in the video driver, or something else. It's absolutely something to exchange for, but it's not burn in and people shouldn't be jumping to such a conclusion and freaking everybody else out.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Why do you disable that function? Is it a necessity? It looks like an extreme case of burn in by having the display permanently switched on (and charged) like in a store or something. Was it a new phone out of the box?

Also: why would you need a dark room to reboot? I don’t understand.
Disabling that function seems common to me. There are recent threads like "Help, my 15 Pro is super dim compared to my 14 Pro" because their 14 Pro had that setting disabled and the 15 Pro was enabled. The brightness still dims with that setting disabled. It just lets the "100%" level actually go to a brighter level.

Like mentioned. All 5 of my OLED iPhones had that disabled and no problems. 2 of those phones I used for 2 years the same way I used the 15 for less than 2 weeks...

I don't need a dark room to reboot, I need darkness to see the burn-in. Last night, the burn-in was most noticeable at 10%-60% brightness in a dark room and even more noticeable with "Night Shift" enabled. As soon as I went 100% brightness, it was much harder to see even at night. I have video recordings using my SO's phone of the YouTube video playing that when the video would ramp up a percentage of Gray to White, the video would bloom bright, the apps/images would not show as much, then when it went to the normal grayscale image, there was the burn-in again, clear as day.

Video seem too large to load here...

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Well, for the last week and a half I have been touting the iPhone 15 Pro/ProMax as one of the best iPhones in years. Despite incremental changes, it is greater than the sum of its parts. I also had ZERO issues with over-heating and thought those claims were rare and blow out of proportion.

Then last night I saw something I have never experienced on an iPhone. Terrible and VERY noticeable burn-in. This was never an issue on my X, 11 Pro, 13 Pro or 14 Pro OLED screens.

View attachment 2288347

You can clearly see the Photos App, Notes App, Clock App, Calendar App with "22or 3ish)" and below the the "X" app that is the main home page of my phone here:

View attachment 2288350

View attachment 2288354

I then decided to go play a gray "Uniformity" Video on YouTube that I had played about a week early after reading a post here that some users were seeing issues with their display on brightness uniformity issues from one side of their screen to another. At a couple days old, my iPhone looked great.

Last night... these were the results:

View attachment 2288356

View attachment 2288357

I only 2 days ago turned off the Always On Display option, but the calendar clearly shows 22 ish burned-in. Auto-lock has been set at 2 minutes since the restore on launch day.

I have AppleCar+ Theft and Loss. Just not sure when to take it back at this point.

Disappointed that in less than 14 days something like this was even possible under normal use.
If I have an issue with a device, especially soon after purchase, first I go to Apple. Then I may report what Apple's response was to the internet. What is it with folks first rushing to make sensational internet posts? Clickbait? What?

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
Like I said you might have the new phone cool but that first phone with the burn it isn’t the 15 series in my opinion, there is zero chance burn in will happen in a week
Actually it can happen in less than a week. I purchased a 12 pro max and used it next day as my gps and docked it in my car, it was hot and in sunlight all day as I drove and sadly it did have a burn in less than week of owning it. I returned it the next day. So it is possible.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Well, for the last week and a half I have been touting the iPhone 15 Pro/ProMax as one of the best iPhones in years. Despite incremental changes, it is greater than the sum of its parts. I also had ZERO issues with over-heating and thought those claims were rare and blow out of proportion.

Then last night I saw something I have never experienced on an iPhone. Terrible and VERY noticeable burn-in. This was never an issue on my X, 11 Pro, 13 Pro or 14 Pro OLED screens.

View attachment 2288347

You can clearly see the Photos App, Notes App, Clock App, Calendar App with "22or 3ish)" and below the the "X" app that is the main home page of my phone here:

View attachment 2288350

View attachment 2288354

I then decided to go play a gray "Uniformity" Video on YouTube that I had played about a week early after reading a post here that some users were seeing issues with their display on brightness uniformity issues from one side of their screen to another. At a couple days old, my iPhone looked great.

Last night... these were the results:

View attachment 2288356

View attachment 2288357

I only 2 days ago turned off the Always On Display option, but the calendar clearly shows 22 ish burned-in. Auto-lock has been set at 2 minutes since the restore on launch day.

I have AppleCar+ Theft and Loss. Just not sure when to take it back at this point.

Disappointed that in less than 14 days something like this was even possible under normal use.
Slightly unrelated. Is the bottom of your screen slightly green tinted?

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015

My sister-in-law has the heat issue and she doesn't have instagram installed, nor anything else from Meta. According to my brother it gets really hot when running the Apple camera app.

Just repeating what I've been told. I don't know anyone else with a 15 of any flavor.

Last edited:

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
My sister-in-law has the heat issue and she doesn't have instagram installed, nor anything else from Meta.

According to my brother it gets really hot when running the Apple camera app.
The 14 Pro also gets really hot when running the Apple camera app. The trick is to learn to turn off the app after each batch of image captures; just click on the right-side button. I learned to do that decades ago to save battery on pro Nikons, and it is now automatically in muscle memory.

I actually find the 15 PM substantially improved over the 14 P as regards the heat management (and everything else). But misuse of the camera will make even the 15 PM warm up.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
If I have an issue with a device, especially soon after purchase, first I go to Apple. Then I may report what Apple's response was to the internet. What is it with folks first rushing to make sensational internet posts? Clickbait? What?

This is an internet forum discussing Apple products, why wouldn't someone post something like this here?

And how is this sensationalist? OP is honestly documenting a strange case that a lot of people on this forum would find interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.