Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rapidxc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2021
Hi everyone,
I have a M1 MBA and I want to upgrade to the pro. The bright display is really important for me and so is the fan. I have one question- Does your m1 MacBook pro have a "silent clicking" option in the settings like my MacBook air?
Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 12.58.26 PM.png

And for those of you who have owned both devices- how does the trackpad on both feel like? I've heard people saying that the pro trackpad feels hollow. Is this true? Does it sound hollow due to the thicker body and the larger slab of glass?

ksloth

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2019
USA
Hi everyone,
I have a M1 MBA and I want to upgrade to the pro. The bright display is really important for me and so is the fan. I have one question- Does your m1 MacBook pro have a "silent clicking" option in the settings like my MacBook air?
View attachment 1739281
And for those of you who have owned both devices- how does the trackpad on both feel like? I've heard people saying that the pro trackpad feels hollow. Is this true? Does it sound hollow due to the thicker body and the larger slab of glass?
I do not see any option for silent clicking on my M1 Pro.

ksloth

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2019
USA
It is indeed very weird. Why on earth wouldn't the pro have the same option?

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
There seems to be a lot of inconsistency over the years of the silent clicking being an option on the MBA and 13"/15"/16" MBP's. I never figured out which devices does/should have it or not.

rapidxc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2021
It is indeed very weird. Why on earth wouldn't the pro have the same option?
I think it's because of the way that the trackpad is positioned. If you look at the teardown of the macbook air m1, the taptic engine is centered on the trackpad. On the pro, the engine is moved to the bottom. Another interesting thing here is that the sizes of both motors are the same, but the pro has a larger glass surface. This is why the air feels sharp whereas the pro feels hollow. And, I think the silent clicking option has nothing to do with the speakers itself, the click sound can be created by the taptic engine itself. On the air, there is more space since it's in the center, but the pro has no space in the bottom. Maybe this is why there is discrepancy in both models. (Just a guess)

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Hi everyone,
I have a M1 MBA and I want to upgrade to the pro. The bright display is really important for me
Do you actually run your MBA at 100% brightness setting and find it dim? If so, then MBP is better choice, it also has higher contrast ratio.

Yes, MBP trackpad has hollow loud clicking sound, MBA is much more pleasing and solid. Not sure what causes the difference (probably chassis structure where MBA is much more "tighter" packed) but it is very noticeable IMHO and I never like how my MBP sounded and felt like. Also keyboard has similar thing but some people actually prefer "clickier" MBP keyboard but I appreciate more silent clicks.

Reactions: jdb10

ksloth

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2019
USA
I think it's because of the way that the trackpad is positioned. If you look at the teardown of the macbook air m1, the taptic engine is centered on the trackpad. On the pro, the engine is moved to the bottom. Another interesting thing here is that the sizes of both motors are the same, but the pro has a larger glass surface. This is why the air feels sharp whereas the pro feels hollow. And, I think the silent clicking option has nothing to do with the speakers itself, the click sound can be created by the taptic engine itself. On the air, there is more space since it's in the center, but the pro has no space in the bottom. Maybe this is why there is discrepancy in both models. (Just a guess)
This actually makes a lot of sense. Interesting!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
For what it's worth, the silent click option on my M1 MBA is only barely different from the non-silent click. It's really hard to tell the difference.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I am shocked to find out that not everybody uses tap to click.
I use it when my MacBook Air is in clamshell mode and I'm using an external Magic Trackpad & Keyboard but I can't stand using tap to click when using the MacBook's keyboard. Inevitably I will brush against the trackpad and move my cursor or select a block of text and delete it etc. I had hopes that the palm rejection on Big Sur would fix this but no luck. It still happens constantly.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I use it when my MacBook Air is in clamshell mode and I'm using an external Magic Trackpad & Keyboard but I can't stand using tap to click when using the MacBook's keyboard. Inevitably I will brush against the trackpad and move my cursor or select a block of text and delete it etc. I had hopes that the palm rejection on Big Sur would fix this but no luck. It still happens constantly.
Yep--this is the exact reason I hate tap to click as well.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
Hi everyone,
View attachment 1739281
Let me guess: when you got your MBA, you used Time Machine to bring your data from your previous Mac?
When I did from my old Pro to the M1 Pro, the option appeared but wasn't doing anything (because it's not meant to be there). When I did a clean install, the option disappeared.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.