Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Well here we go; (I know no one has actually got their mits on one but I was just wondering if anyone had read something I hadnt!)

1. Why is there a Hard Drive? My iTunes library is definately over 40gb!
  2. What is the USB on the back for? I think on the apple site is says service and maintenace?
  3. I have a powerbook that connects to my wireless router, will I be able to access content from this on the :apple: TV?

Thanks!

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
1.) along with its own OS you have the ability to store on the HD, even though you could still stream it. I guess it would come in handy if you went over to a friends house with it.

2.) The USB is for service only, nothing we put in there, at least now will work. It would be cool though to play game with a USB game pad.:D

3.) You should be able to. I would think that you could set it up to run off the portable instead of another computer on the network.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Well here we go; (I know no one has actually got their mits on one but I was just wondering if anyone had read something I hadnt!)

2. What is the USB on the back for? I think on the apple site is says service and maintenace?
  3. I have a powerbook that connects to my wireless router, will I be able to access content from this on the :apple: TV?

Thanks!

Hardrive is to temporarily store movies so you can watch them. That way you dont have to be streaming content all the time. Remember if you are streaming stuff your computer needs to be on too. If its on the AppleTV HD you dont need your Mac on.

USB is most likely for what Apple says its for. It will most likely be for a future feature that Apple has in the Pipeline.

You can access AppleTV from 5 different comps at same time.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
You can access AppleTV from 5 different comps at same time.

Thats great if its five different comps!

Do you reckon you will have to select which comp you want to search the content of, or will it compile it all together?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005

Thanks!

The hard drive like people said is to store you so don't have to stream or have your computer on. I imagine that in the case of those with Powerbooks or non 802.11n computers it will be easier to sync a movie to the :apple:tv hd that it will be to stream it from a 802.11g machine to the :apple:tv for live viewing. As far as the 40GB, this is something that has me a bit miffed as well. I intend like many others to have my entire DVD library on my external so that I can stream through :apple:tv, however, it seems that I will need to use the streaming from 1 of 5 functionality or sync a few movies I plan to watch. At 40GB, I will probably sync my entire iTunes library and hopefully most if not all of my photo library and leave the movies for streaming, which means I need an n enabled Mac and a new Airport Extreme router.

Do you reckon you will have to select which comp you want to search the content of, or will it compile it all together?

You can stream from up to 5 computers that are paired, i.e. passworded to the :apple:tv, for access at any time, however, I seriously doubt we're talking about AT THE SAME TIME, and no it won't compile them. You can select which one you want to browse kind of thing.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

If you go back to the Macworld Keynote (there is a podcast of it on the iTunes store for free), they demonstrate this ability on stage. I can't remember how it works off the top of my head, but the answer is there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.