Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else was having a problem with Siri finding movie showtimes in the UK?

If I ask Siri to find movie showtimes, I get a list of old movies, or a, "sorry I dont see any movies playing in [name of place]". It can't find any recent/new movies playing either nearby or anywhere else I've tried in the UK for that matter.

I'm running latest version of iOS 7. The problem is the same on my iPad too.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else was having a problem with Siri finding movie showtimes in the UK?

If I ask Siri to find movie showtimes, I get a list of old movies, or a, "sorry I dont see any movies playing in [name of place]". It can't find any recent/new movies playing either nearby or anywhere else I've tried in the UK for that matter.

Um... Install " Google Now " problem solved

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Well it sort of is. It's part of the iOS Google search app. You can even say "OK Google" to it.

Technically correct. Google Now is integrated with the Google Search app. Though, to use Google Now effectively, one must log in and give Google permission to location and other stuff, not everyone may be comfortable with. And, Google Search doesn't come standard with iOS. One could just as easily download Fandango and do the exact same movie search and even buy tickets if available.

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
Technically correct. Google Now is integrated with the Google Search app. Though, to use Google Now effectively, one must log in and give Google permission to location and other stuff, not everyone may be comfortable with. And, Google Search doesn't come standard with iOS. One could just as easily download Fandango and do the exact same movie search and even buy tickets if available.

Right guys, can you please shut up about Google Now. If you've not got anything to say about this specific problem take it to another thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Right guys, can you please shut up about Google Now. If you've not got anything to say about this specific problem take it to another thread.

Firstly, there's no need to be abusive to people who are trying to help - even if it's not exactly the answer you are after.

Now, to literally answer your query... Has it occurred to you that your original query was unintelligible to Siri? Why not try "What movies are showing at (place name) today" Works fine for me - complete with times!

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
They're not trying to be helpful though. The first reply was snide and then the thread was hijacked.

Yes it's occurred to me Siri didn't recognise what I was saying. I've tried multiple ways of asking with the same results. Previously each of those questions would have given me a listing of relevant movies.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I tried it, and it doesn't work unless I give it a location. If I say "Omaha showtimes" or "Movies near me" or "Showtimes for Jersey Boys at AMC Council Bluffs" I get showtime information, else Siri says it can't do it.

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
Why not try "What movies are showing at (place name) today" Works fine for me - complete with times!

Interesting that it works for you. Are you saying you've tried it today ? I've reproduced the problem on several other phones belonging to different people. Each time using a question that previously would have worked. Using your specific wording hasn't helped either. Siri responds that it can't find the place in question.

Seeing as I've reproduced it now across different devices I've filed a bug report with Apple.

----------

I tried it, and it doesn't work unless I give it a location. If I say "Omaha showtimes" or "Movies near me" or "Showtimes for Jersey Boys at AMC Council Bluffs" I get showtime information, else Siri says it can't do it.

Thanks for your reply. I think this problem maybe specific to the UK though.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
At the risk of appearing unhelpful, do you have location services turned on for Siri? Settings>Privacy>Location Services>Siri (On).

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Interesting that it works for you. Are you saying you've tried it today ?

Of course! Just tried it again, even with different wording - "What films are showing in (place name) today". No problems!

Are you speaking clearly!?

Last edited:

superid

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2015
Hi,

I'm getting the same on iOS 8.4.1 on my iPhone 6 and iPad Air, and on my wife's iPhone 6 running iOS 8.4. Siri cannot find any movie listings near us, despite living right next to several cinemas here in London.

I stepped into an Apple Store and tested on 4 different devices, same issue. So, obviously not device specific. Spoke to Apple Support and there's nothing they can do, sounded like they had never heard of the issue. Like you, I filed a bug report. Not holding my breath.

I suspect it is an issue with the underlying movie listings service within Siri, something must be offline either for technical or contractual reasons, something they don't openly report on to their customers or even their own support staff. Disappointing as it has worked in the past and is a very handy feature.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
You are perfectly right Siri suddenly can't find anything about cinemas in the UK (it can in other countries). If you are running iOS9 the right swipe (from home screen) also hasn't got local restaurants, shops, etc anymore.
And just to be pedantic, we call them films in the UK, and not movies.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Um... Install " Google Now " problem solved
Why would anyone do that, if they don't want to be bombarded with advertising? Apart from YouTube, I don't really use any Google stuff, if it can be avoided. Anyway, Siri is deeply integrated in the iOS system, none of the alternatives are.

Reactions: CaTOAGU

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
You are perfectly right Siri suddenly can't find anything about cinemas in the UK (it can in other countries). If you are running iOS9 the right swipe (from home screen) also hasn't got local restaurants, shops, etc anymore.
And just to be pedantic, we call them films in the UK, and not movies.

It was happening for me in iOS 8.4.1 too (after working for a while in previous builds) but yeah, iOS 9 hasn't improved it at all. Not sure what's going on, my GF's phone and iPad has the same problem as do a number of other people but it doesn't seem be widespread enough for Apple to have noticed and not many others are complaining on here. Perhaps the feature just isn't used that much.

Would be nice to have it fixed though, I never seem to get round to reporting it to Apple.

And yes I'm aware their called films. I was born in the UK but lived in the US for several years and still have family there. I seem to flip back and forth between words.

Last edited:

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
Why would anyone do that, if they don't want to be bombarded with advertising? Apart from YouTube, I don't really use any Google stuff, if it can be avoided. Anyway, Siri is deeply integrated in the iOS system, none of the alternatives are.

Edit: Replied to wrong post

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
This is still happening for me, on an iPad mini 2 with iOS 9.0.2.

I've tried various ways of phrasing the request, and Siri understands, but there are no results available. I'm in Norfolk, and Siri definitely used to show movie results for cinemas I use including Odeon in Norwich.

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
I had a go on some of the phones in my local Apple Store the other day. None of them could find any film information either. I've reported the bug to Apple but it's not been acknowledged yet.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Yep, just checked it for Norwich and it is working again - but only partially; I only found one listing for a movie at the Vue, while Odeon is still totally omitted.

There are plenty of showtimes for the Hollywood cinema (local independent) and the Cinema City (Picturehouse) however…

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Bristol (UK) is still not having any films or cinemas, according to Siri. In reality there are many cinemas in walking distance fro me with many films showing. This is just ridiculous now, Apple are really pathetic when it comes to Siri.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.