Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
London
For the last two days, Siri on the HomePod mini in my kitchen has started randomly asking “Hi there, how can I help?” - even when nobody is speaking and there are no sounds that might be setting her off.

I noticed this a couple of times yesterday - my office is next to the kitchen, and as I was working, I heard Siri ask that twice. Didn’t think too much of it - thought it might have been a glitch of some sort…

But I’ve just heard it again today - again, nothing going on in the kitchen.

The Home app shows that the HomePod is on 17.4 (21L227), and all other devices are up-to-date version-wise.

Going to reset the HomePod today, but just wondered if anyone else is experiencing this?

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
We all float down here, Siri...
1712437710946.png

Ha, kidding, Siri is actually a Cenobite.
1712438257988.png

No, no siriously, capacitive button surfaces can make devices seem possessed. Maybe there's something on, or interfering with, that control triggering Siri? Try disabling the button as a trigger option, see if it keeps happening. I don't have a homepod, but I got that with my Apple Watch and a wierd rope-chain bracelet.

Reactions: RodThePlod

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
London
We all float down here, Siri...
View attachment 2366235

Ha, kidding, Siri is actually a Cenobite.
View attachment 2366236

No, no siriously, capacitive button surfaces can make devices seem possessed. Maybe there's something on, or interfering with, that control triggering Siri? Try disabling the button as a trigger option, see if it keeps happening. I don't have a homepod, but I got that with my Apple Watch and a wierd rope-chain bracelet.
This is maybe a good idea - the HomePod was kinda dusty, so I do wonder if there was something going on there!

I’ve given it a clean, removed it as an accessory from the Home app, re-added it, amd set it up again.

Hopefully it’ll stop. If not, then maybe I have a possessed HomePod after all. Eeeek!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Your HomePod has been equipped with Genuine People Personality (GPP™️). The default personality is brash & cheery, as if it was selling detergent. There is a backup personality, but I don't recommend it...

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
London
Hahaha - thanks for the amusing comments on this thread 😀

You may be happy to know that, since the HomePod was set up again, I haven't heard any more "how can I help?" requests. So I think we're all good!
Narrator: "Little did RodThePlod know, this was only the start of his nightmare..."

• Haha
Reactions: CosmicTris392

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
That is pretty strange! I’m sure it’s a shock to hear that at random moments!

I use Siri often to add items to my grocery list.
Just recently Siri will say “Which list? Grocery or Grocery?” 😳
I just say uh Grocery and it works fine.
I checked to make sure I don’t have two lists named Grocery and I don’t.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
London
That is pretty strange! I’m sure it’s a shock to hear that at random moments!

I use Siri often to add items to my grocery list.
Just recently Siri will say “Which list? Grocery or Grocery?” 😳
I just say uh Grocery and it works fine.
I checked to make sure I don’t have two lists named Grocery and I don’t.
I do the same - as this HomePod is in my kitchen, I often notice that I'm out of milk or something, and I'll say "Siri - add milk to the shopping list". Siri then replies "OK - I've added milk to the shopping list list".

Lol - I keep saying that I need to rename my "Shopping List" (in Reminders) to simply "Shopping" to stop Siri from saying the additional "List".

But yes - using Siri in this way generally works well for me. The list is also shared with my wife and daughter, and they add groceries to it in the same way.

Reactions: fatTribble

A Hobo

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Somewhere between Here and There
For the last two days, Siri on the HomePod mini in my kitchen has started randomly asking “Hi there, how can I help?” - even when nobody is speaking and there are no sounds that might be setting her off.

I noticed this a couple of times yesterday - my office is next to the kitchen, and as I was working, I heard Siri ask that twice. Didn’t think too much of it - thought it might have been a glitch of some sort…

The Home app shows that the HomePod is on 17.4 (21L227), and all other devices are up-to-date version-wise.

Going to reset the HomePod today, but just wondered if anyone else is experiencing this?
clean the display on the top, I imagine that's its getting a bit oily being in the kitchen and now has spurious capacitance on the screen, thinking a finger is being held.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
London
clean the display on the top, I imagine that's its getting a bit oily being in the kitchen and now has spurious capacitance on the screen, thinking a finger is being held.
Yup - all looking good now after the HomePod was cleaned up and reset. No more phantom triggers… yay!

BTW - I checked my other HomePods (in the bedrooms, & living area) and they didn’t have the same type of dust/residue on their displays as the one in the kitchen. So you’re right - it definitely seems that the airborne grease particles, etc. in the kitchen contributed to this issue.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007

It’s probably reading your thoughts now.

• Haha

A Hobo

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Somewhere between Here and There
Yup - all looking good now after the HomePod was cleaned up and reset. No more phantom triggers… yay!

BTW - I checked my other HomePods (in the bedrooms, & living area) and they didn’t have the same type of dust/residue on their displays as the one in the kitchen. So you’re right - it definitely seems that the airborne grease particles, etc. in the kitchen contributed to this issue.
I speak from experience 😂😂
It’s something about the oil getting ‘aerosolised’ during cooking that makes it stick to glossy surfaces ( metal stove hood getting sticky is common too)

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
London
OMG - funny you should post! After almost two weeks of the HomePod behaving, I heard the dreaded "Hi there, how can I help?" message yesterday. Urrrrgh. I've unplugged it for now, and its sitting on my office desk while I decide what to do next.

I cleaned it up a couple weeks back when it first started misbehaving (basically wiped the surface down with a damp cloth) so I'm now not so convinced it's contaminant thing. I'm considering leaving it unplugged for a bit, maybe until Apple release a new HomePod software update?! <sigh>

I have similar HomePod minis in the bedrooms, and an OG HomePod in the living room, and they're all working well...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.