Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Creating this as a place to post specifically about Siri Shortcut versions. The third "beta" was rolled out today. Test Flight does not list any changes, so hoping to collect them in this wiki. Please post any changes you find here in this first post.

• Importing .shortcut files now works properly

• Tapping “Help” now opens a Safari Web View to display a guide to Shortcuts. As the guide is currently unavailable, the URL [https://support.apple.com/guide/shortcuts/welcome/ios] leads to a 404 error.

• Some apps (such as Citymapper) that previously appeared in the Action list but did not have an action no longer appear in the Action list
    • The list of actions for an app now includes Siri Suggestions

• When trying to run a Shortcut without actions, an alert tells the user that the Shortcut is empty
    • Shortcuts now work via CarPlay
    • Apple is now referring to these Test Flight builds as “Beta x”. This version is designated Beta 3

759a0a75fef9d0d2ce3df2d716286283.png

• Deleting a Shortcut is now done by poking (3D touch) it enough to get it to wiggle and then selecting the garbage can at upper right. Previously you had to peek (softer 3D Touch) the shortcut and then drag up to reveal a “Delete” command. The new way is much more intuitive.

Last edited:

vtboyarc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2011
RUB IT IN
I can't wait to say "hey Siri, morning brief" instead of opening up Workflows, and have to watch it run through the steps, and read the text back in the awful text dictation voice versus the Siri voice!

Reactions: gwhizkids

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
RUB IT IN
I can't wait to say "hey Siri, morning brief" instead of opening up Workflows, and have to watch it run through the steps, and read the text back in the awful text dictation voice versus the Siri voice!

I actually did this with you in mind. Figured you could at least share the experience until you get your invite.

Reactions: vtboyarc

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Yasss, you’re the best :D

Everyone who comes to this thread should share the name of their fav Workflow (or Shorcut if you’re one of the lucky few)
my fav is “Heading Home”, a variant on the Shortcut demoed at WWDC. It texts my wife where I am, gives my ETA, opens Maps and queues up my favorite travel podcast. Works like a charm!

vtboyarc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2011
my fav is “Heading Home”, a variant on the Shortcut demoed at WWDC. It texts my wife where I am, gives my ETA, opens Maps and queues up my favorite travel podcast. Works like a charm!

That sounds pretty sweet! Similar to my morning and evening brief, mine doesn’t text my fiancé tho, and I have it open my current fav music playlist. I also have it tell me the weather via Dark Sky API (current temperature, forecast for remainder of the day, and alerts if any).

Up there with my favs, is one that tells me when Golden Hour is for my location, one that helps calculate tips and split the bill, and one that I use to update Apple Music weekly playlists to a master playlist

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
That sounds pretty sweet! Similar to my morning and evening brief, mine doesn’t text my fiancé tho, and I have it open my current fav music playlist. I also have it tell me the weather via Dark Sky API (current temperature, forecast for remainder of the day, and alerts if any).

Up there with my favs, is one that tells me when Golden Hour is for my location, one that helps calculate tips and split the bill, and one that I use to update Apple Music weekly playlists to a master playlist
I assume you added those first 4 bullets to the wiki? Where did you find those? It is really difficult finding the deltas on these builds. Hoping to find some personally over the weekend when I can play with it some more.

Justins567

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2018
Colorado, USA
release notes are placed on the DevPortal instead of TestFlight. i have attaached them

Attachments

• Shortcuts_App_Beta_3_Release_Notes.pdf
    44.9 KB · Views: 279
Reactions: vtboyarc

JupoDupo

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017
I have been waiting nearly a month now for an invite for 2 different developer accounts and neither have got an invite.
At least we can see things in this thread.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I have been waiting nearly a month now for an invite for 2 different developer accounts and neither have got an invite.
At least we can see things in this thread.

Let me know what you’d like to see and I will post screenshots.

Reactions: JupoDupo

brianhoch

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2018
I’ve got several Shortcuts I like. But the one that makes me happiest is the Log my weight. It writes the data to HealthKit and compares to the last recorded weight and adds a congratulatory message with lbs lost if I’ve lost weight.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I'm not too familiar with this workflow UI... Is the Screenbright variable definitely used by the Set Brightness activity? It looks like it could simply just be using a hardcoded value set on the slider. It's not clear to me at all. Rather than a slider I'd expect to see a field populated with 'Screenbright'

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I'm not too familiar with this workflow UI... Is the Screenbright variable definitely used by the Set Brightness activity? It looks like it could simply just be using a hardcoded value set on the slider. It's not clear to me at all. Rather than a slider I'd expect to see a field populated with 'Screenbright'

At the time I snapped that original screenshot I was trying to figure out how to use a variable to adjust the brightness control and just wanted to illustrate that there was, in fact, a screen brightness control.

That way didn’t work. But the one below, using a Magic Variable does work. It was not intuitive that you had to tap on the slider to bring up the “insert variable” feature. I added the “divide by 10” action so the desired brightness can be entered as a whole number between 1 and 10 (the slider accepts values between 0 and 1).

f95bd0787349964adf09319feb2e3abf.png

Reactions: GreyOS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.