Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bskesq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Siri seems to work fine from the phone but as soon as the phone syncs with my car's bluetooth it doesnt work. The car thinks I am making a call when I push and hold the home button. Then Siri just fails. 2010 Lexus- brand new IPhone 4S.

Thoughts? Help?

AdrianT

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2009
What model is your Lexus? Some models didn't support A2DP until recently so Siri wont work if it just has the older handsfree bluetooth profile

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
I have yet to set up bluetooth for the 4S in my car, but a problem I had with the 3GS was that whenever apps needed to use the mic (aka Soundhound or Shazam), it would use the car's mic. That of course triggered the car into thinking I was making a phone call, which stopped the radio, etc. Never got it to work out.

I think it'll be a similar situation with the 4S then: the car will think I'm making a phone call when I use Siri. Hmm, not sure, but I'd definitely like to learn a work around.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
2010 Lexus ES-350 has lag issues with Bluetooth.
Dunno about other models.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
On my BMW it calls voice mail every time I activate Siri.

Last edited by a moderator:

ecks618

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
NYC
My 2011 Audi does the same thing as the BMW. It thinks its calling voicemail but it doesn't actually dial and I can easily interact with Siri via the car microphone.

2011 MDX worked fine as well when I tested it.

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
California
2010 LS460. Any idea if it can be upgraded??

Your 2010+ Lexus models can stream bluetooth music - make sure it is registered properly in the setup menu.

I have a 2011 Lexus and Siri works perfect. She stops playing music and functions just like when I'm not in the car.

MacDaddy22

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
I have a 2010 Lexus and it works fine. I press and hold the home button, which launches Siri. It takes about 2-3 seconds for the bluetooth to activate and bring sound from the phone over the speakers. During this time, Siri of course has already activated. You have to push the Siri button one or two times to re-activate it. NOT the home button. Just the Siri button. Then you're good to go until you're done. The only thing it doesn't do, is if you tell Siri to make a call for you, in the second it takes for the iPhone to switch over to the voice call, the bluetooth from Lexus disconnects, which in turn ends the call on the phone before it even starts. That's the only thing I find that doesn't work.

bskesq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Your 2010+ Lexus models can stream bluetooth music - make sure it is registered properly in the setup menu.

I have a 2011 Lexus and Siri works perfect. She stops playing music and functions just like when I'm not in the car.

When I start Siri the car's bluetooth thinks i am making a call and the "talking" starts on the screen and time runs.

Once it seemed like it was working and then when I tried to make a call it immediately disconnected as noted by the other post above-

What settings should i be checking?

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
On my BMW it calls voice mail every time I activate Siri. Does it do that with yours as well?
No mine works fine. Siri is the hardest feature to use through the speakers though. I drive a 08 m5 if that helps. But all in all I am happy.

klusener

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
Lexus Bluetooth music streaming

I have a 2010 Lexus and it works fine. I press and hold the home button, which launches Siri. It takes about 2-3 seconds for the bluetooth to activate and bring sound from the phone over the speakers. During this time, Siri of course has already activated. You have to push the Siri button one or two times to re-activate it. NOT the home button. Just the Siri button. Then you're good to go until you're done. The only thing it doesn't do, is if you tell Siri to make a call for you, in the second it takes for the iPhone to switch over to the voice call, the bluetooth from Lexus disconnects, which in turn ends the call on the phone before it even starts. That's the only thing I find that doesn't work.

Did the bluetooth audio streaming worked for you. I have a Lexus is250 and iPhone 4s bluetooth streaming music doesn't work.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
When I start Siri the car's bluetooth thinks i am making a call and the "talking" starts on the screen and time runs.

Once it seemed like it was working and then when I tried to make a call it immediately disconnected as noted by the other post above-

What settings should i be checking?

My 2010 lexus work the same. There is no special setting to fix this. Only Lexus can update the car. And there is no update yet.

Did the bluetooth audio streaming worked for you. I have a Lexus is250 and iPhone 4s bluetooth streaming music doesn't work.

My 2010 is250C works fine streaming audio as well as the phone. You do have to connect the audio, and the phone separately. No problem at all with the iP4 and iP4s.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
DO not know if Siri works with my 2010 LX570 but I get the same delay when I get a call and hit the answer button on the steering wheel. It seems like it is 3-5 seconds before the caller can hear me.

My iPhone did the same.

Maybe it is my Lexus?:eek:

klusener

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
My 2010 is250C works fine streaming audio as well as the phone. You do have to connect the audio, and the phone separately. No problem at all with the iP4 and iP4s.[/QUOTE]

Thats strange I need to try out iphone 3gs with IOS 5. Then I will know if the problem is with IOS5 or iPhone 4S.

bskesq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Update-- its working

On further testing, I can get Siri to do everything except make a call through the Car's Bluetooth system. Calling isn't really an issue because I can use the the steerign wheel bluetooth controls for that.

The car's bluetooth does come up as if I was calling someone, but siri does respond and it works fine- calls do not work through siri at all.

Not sure it is any safer to Siri while driving than text while driving- you still have to look at the screen! Be Careful out there!

klusener

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
My 2010 is250C works fine streaming audio as well as the phone. You do have to connect the audio, and the phone separately. No problem at all with the iP4 and iP4s.

Guys I did try my iPhone 3GS (with IOS 5). It does play music over bluetooth in my Lexus IS250 2010.

Where as the iPhone 4S does not stream music over bluetooth in my car.

Music playing is the only problem I can still make calls from both the phone using bluetooth.

ANy help would be appreciated.

coreyk

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
SF Bay Area
I have a 2011 Lexus ES 350 (with nav and bluetooth) and an iPhone 4S. Streaming audio over bluetooth works fine for me, as does holding down the home button to activate Siri and speak with her through the car. Unfortunately, I too am having the problem described with making phone calls from Siri, where the car's bluetooth seems to momentarily disconnect from the iPhone, causing the call to be cancelled. I can use the car's voice recognition to make the call, sure, but that involves making sure my phonebook is always sync'd, and I rather think that Siri's voice recognition works better than the car's. I'm not sure who would be at fault here, Apple or Toyota.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.