Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Neither did the app' developers in the audience at WWDC judging from the silence when Scott announced those features.

My wish for Siri? That I could use her to navigate my television stations.

I've read that once the Apple TV is released, it will likely have Siri enabled in the TV set, which will likely give you the options you hoped for.

It sure would be neat to be out for dinner and tell Siri on your iPhone to record this show or that show for you at this time and channel.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I want Siri to be able to turn on/off bluetooth and wifi, if it can open and close apps, why not toggles

ebolamonkey3

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
Boston
I think it would be pretty cool to be able to control your home entertainment system or other peripherals that are linked w/ your iPhone/iPad/iMac.

So if you have your iPad docked at the living room, you can just use it as a universal remote for the lights, the tv, the sound system, etc, all w/o touching it.

Fernsie

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
I use Siri all the time in the car and I find it invaluable. Here are some of my suggestions for improvement:

Continuous listening would be great to have. Maybe you could activate it by speaking "continuous on" and turn it off with "continuous off". Whilst its active you would prefix every command with "Siri.."

It would also be good to have an option to extend how long she waits for you to finish. Sometimes I'm sending a text message and I stop to think about what I want to say. Siri assumes I'm done and composes the unfinished message. An elegant and natural solution would be if you said "ummm..." or "aaah..." she would realise you were thinking and would keep listening until you paused for a longer time or said something like "ok, I'm done".

Another suggestion would be the ability to correct her. After she composes what she thought you said, you could simply say something like, "Not bears, beers"

Every night when I drive home from work I ask her to "call my wife". Then I have to manually press the speakerphone button. I'd like to be able to say, "call my wife on speakerphone"

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
As other have said, I would like Siri to be able to change settings, e.g. WiFi, 3G/4G, Bluetooth, airplane mode and brightness. Maybe one day.

Also when sending a text through Siri and putting an 'x' at the end as a kiss, it always puts a capital 'X', which looks stupid when it's at the end of a sentence. Oh well lol, maybe that's just me!

infinity12402

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
NY
i hadnt even thought about using siri to toggle wifi and bluetooth and what not, but that is really a wonderful idea, and i hope they implement it with the release

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Siri's next big step had better be actually controlling the device (turn off Wifi, decrease brightness, etc.).
Anything short of this will remain a disappointment.

This. And more integration with 3rd party apps.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
All I know is that it would be nice if Siri could say " no more pizza for you" LOL, the amount of restaurants she can find for me is mind blowing & fattening! :D

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I use Siri all the time in the car and I find it invaluable. Here are some of my suggestions for improvement:

Continuous listening would be great to have. Maybe you could activate it by speaking "continuous on" and turn it off with "continuous off". Whilst its active you would prefix every command with "Siri.."

It would also be good to have an option to extend how long she waits for you to finish. Sometimes I'm sending a text message and I stop to think about what I want to say. Siri assumes I'm done and composes the unfinished message. An elegant and natural solution would be if you said "ummm..." or "aaah..." she would realise you were thinking and would keep listening until you paused for a longer time or said something like "ok, I'm done".

Another suggestion would be the ability to correct her. After she composes what she thought you said, you could simply say something like, "Not bears, beers"

Every night when I drive home from work I ask her to "call my wife". Then I have to manually press the speakerphone button. I'd like to be able to say, "call my wife on speakerphone"

I pretty much said just about all the same stuff you said in one of my earlier posts...I love the idea of correcting her after she's done doing her thing ("Not bears, beers") great idea!

I also think it would be great for continuous listening and she'll know when you're done as it would require us to say "Over"...picture a trucker using his CB radio, once he's done talking, he'll always say "over"

Oh and the call on speaker phone idea....genius!

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Siri's next big step had better be actually controlling the device (turn off Wifi, decrease brightness, etc.).
Anything short of this will remain a disappointment.

You are looking at it from a "nerd" perspective. 99.9% of the population doesn't care about turning WiFi on/off, ect.

Sure it would be nice but the "nerd" isn't Apples target audience.

----------

The newest version Siri is already a quantum leap for Apple in terms of mobile.

When you look at mobile search, many people use it to do the basic search tasks that Siri now handles.

They are eliminating the need for search on mobile (for most tasks) which undercuts mobile search providers. The upside is Apple is doing this as value added feature where these other providers are doing it for the distribution of ads and the collection of marketing data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.