Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benny gsr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2015
Australia
Please excuse me if I've not searched hard enough, but I've smashed my iPhone and my last backup was 3 months ago. I'm trying to enter recover mode so I can at least create a backup, as I've heard that Apple don't provide much help with data recovery. I can understand that to a certain extent: It limits someone finding a damaged phone and trying to take everything off it?

Whilst searching for options, it's frustrating that many of my searches looking for legitimate options end up with "software" companies advertising their recovery software, but some further searching reveals that many of these won't work - even assuming I can get my phone on.

Background:
I stupidly left it on the bonnet of my car and drove off. I remembered when I was 20 minutes down the road and headed back to find the phone in surprisingly good physical condition - cameras intact, back glass in an Apple leather cover intact but screen horribly smashed.

When fiddling with the buttons, the bottom of the phone gets warm, and on plugging in to my old MacPro, it even made the buzz/vibrate function. It seems it is able to power on.

Any recommendations for trying to get my data? I'm running iOS14. Itunes 12.8.3, and MacOS 10.13.6. I'm trying recovery mode, DFU mode but anymore advice would be appreciated. THanks

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
The thing is: If you're not able to power on your iPhone and entering the passcode, the data on the storage is encrypted. It's as simple as that, that's why Apple won't be much of a help - same thing for the companies you've mentioned. That's why companies like Cellebrite earn their money, because they seemingly can break into iPhones where you're supposed to enter a passcode first.

That said, that's where the automatic daily iCloud backup would step in. Everytime the iPhone is getting charged, locked and connected via Wi-Fi, you'd get an automatic backup. Well, I'm assuming you didn't take that route - and what data are you trying to get? If it's photos and videos you're after, you could check icloud.com, log in there and check what's in the cloud. But if you opted out of that one as well, I guess it's gonna be a problem. Is there any chance that you could get your iPhone repaired, or is it really that defective? Maybe it's just the display, maybe it's something more...

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

hammie14

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
UK
Sounds like you best option is to try and get a replacement screen and see if you are able to power up and enter the passcode. Then take up a backup!

@MandiMac is correct the data is encrypted so you would need to enter your passcode to un encrypt it.

You said it vibates when you plug it in to you mac you maybe lucky! If the digitizer is still working you maybe able to enter your passcode (remembering roughly on the screen the numbers are as you wont be able to see it!) to unlock the phone and get it to Backup.

You maybe have to enter the passcode a couple of times, 1 to unlock and 1 to trust the mac your plugging it in to.

Good Luck!

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
If the digitizer is still working you maybe able to enter your passcode (remembering roughly on the screen the numbers are as you wont be able to see it!) to unlock the phone and get it to Backup.
Good thinking - if OP used a passphrase instead of the numerical code, things will be quite complicated. I'd opt for the repair option if that were the case.

benny gsr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2015
Australia
Thank you for the replies. I've always done reasonably semi- regular backups into iTunes and no, I've not opted for iCloud. I've probably been a bit tight to pay for the extra monthly data allowance especially with the large amount of hard drive space I've already got. But I'm pretty sure it's now high on the agenda for my wife's phone and as soon as I finish sorting this out! The hassle I've already had easily worth annoying and worth the $60 per year.

I do have numerical passcode and the numbers in a formulation that should be easy enough. I've tried with that, but no luck thus far.

I've now booked in with Apple hoping they can repair - at least to a recoverable position. I know it's going to empty the hip pockets but if I can't be organised and do weekly backups - then I have to learn the hard way!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
but if I can't be organised and do weekly backups

I have a weekly Reminder for this.

Though you have an appointment with Apple for a possible repair, you might want to ask yourself: what do you have on the phone that is not in the old backup, and if not, is it important?

The backup does not include several things that can be recreated via iCloud, App Store, etc. Mail, if using IMAP (probably so, as that's the default for most providers), that will be pulled down all old stuff. Some apps' data will not be included in a backup. And how much data changes/additions were on the phone since last backup (eg. how many pics have been taken since, are they important, and have they already been off-loaded elsewhere [photo app, iCloud, other cloud]).

Basically, since good chance will need to get a new phone anyway, might want to just bite the bullet and get a new phone and use the old backup if no meaningful changes since three months ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: MandiMac

benny gsr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2015
Australia
Ended up at Apple earlier today - initially they thought it might just be a cracked screen, but when it wouldn't power up, they thought there'd be a problem. They offered the phone swap for a fee, and did suggest a company who can do an "aggressive" recovery which does damage the phone further. I have to decide if my photos are worth at least A$600

I hvae thought about how much the data is worth to me, and there are some photos, but on the whole nothing of really significant value. It's what I'm debating now. The thing I always find very handy though is saving of Messages history, but I doubt that is recoverable in a format which can be reinstalled anyway.
Thanks for all the advice.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Have you looked into this?

Dont have to click that link to know it’s scam/wont work. Any company that uses square brackets like that is sketchy as hell.

Like others have said, encryption prevents most, if not all these types of apps from working

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Dont have to click that link to know it’s scam/wont work. Any company that uses square brackets like that is sketchy as hell.

Like others have said, encryption prevents most, if not all these types of apps from working

I’ve been using iMyFone D-Back for the past year and it has saved me when my iPhone 12 Pro Max was stuck on the Apple logo. It put my phone in recovery mode to turn my device back on and I still have my data and my jailbreak.

benny gsr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2015
Australia
Thanks Saudor and Stacey. Most of these software's are all a bit dodgy. Reminds a lot of the video conversion softwares that present themselves as informative articles.
I've decided to go with a reputable data recovery service - see how it goes.

Reactions: StaceyMJ86

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Thanks Saudor and Stacey. Most of these software's are all a bit dodgy. Reminds a lot of the video conversion softwares that present themselves as informative articles.
I've decided to go with a reputable data recovery service - see how it goes.

Good luck. Hope you can recover your data.

benny gsr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2015
Australia
Just a follow up. Data recovery fromt he reputable company worked excellently well. The service whilst expensive was pretty good really. I would use them again if it happened again. I was able to swap the smashed phone at Apple (for a fee of course)

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Just a follow up. Data recovery fromt he reputable company worked excellently well. The service whilst expensive was pretty good really. I would use them again if it happened again. I was able to swap the smashed phone at Apple (for a fee of course)

Glad you were able to keep your data. What company did you go with?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.