Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
Ahem.. It would be extremely nice of you, guys, if you now and then would throw in a sentence or two that a non-programmer also could understand and follow the thread, which, btw, is in PowerPC (for mortals) and not in Developers forum.
Thank you!

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
Yeah i’m aware of all of that already. I’m exclusively working on the OS on this project though so third party stuff isn’t on the horizon for me. You’re the one leading the MacPorts stuff, which i’m sure will be much appreciated by all the people that want to download and run newer software on 10.6 PowerPC down the line. I point out OS exclusive stuff when you post in this thread as the MacPorts development stuff has its own thread and those that want to chip in and get involved helping rebuild the OS need to know that there is a difference between what you’re working on and referencing regarding MacPorts and the OS specific stuff.

Well, if we want people to join in (numbers don’t matter but even a single extra developer can make a difference), it makes sense to demonstrate the OS is useful for the modern stuff.

But you are right, it also makes sense to keep these things distinct.

Reactions: ChrisCharman
It is a thread about development builds of 10.6 🤷🏻‍♂️

This is a good time to mention, once more, what’s been mentioned before: macports and compilers are (mostly) third-party and ancillary to Apple’s SL-PPC builds (which is the focus of this thread).

Third-party software and compiling operability in the SL-PPC environment really does deserve a separate, companion thread, even if that thread is centred around Xcode 3.2 or 3.2.6, as run on SL-PPC.

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
I feel like recent pages of the thread seem more developer centric, however, if people wish for other matters to be discussed then it would help to increase the number of people actively running, examining and reporting on the builds in question. If we’re the only people posting then that’s going to be the majority of the subject matter discussed.

@B S Magnet is the only person to have thoroughly and consistently tested and detailed any of the developer previews (10A096). If others would like to see more investigative and instructional posts then the less technically savvy, or people uninterested in developing should install any of the provided builds and post their experiences. We only have so much free time and we each have our own areas that we’re focusing on currently.

I don’t object to creating a separate thread that is concerned only with building and tinkering with the system components if that sort of content is no longer of interest to people following along here?

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
If we’re the only people posting then that’s going to be the majority of the subject matter discussed.

Well, the stuff you guys are posting, most of the readers can barely follow. I'm saying this in defence of ordinary user, I personally (being an EE) can more or less understand what this is all about.

What they see is a bunch of screenshots, bragging, hurt egos, someone is running something that was available for some time, then it was taken down, then running something even newer, that also dissappears, but someone still have it, bases his further work on it, but nobody else have this stuff. Then someone says something about compiling kexts. And libs. And using gcc, but not that one, but this one, which only exists where? And Xcode from buld X moved to build Y, because that one has bugs and so it goes for several pages.

As I said in one other thread, if ordinary user can not easily install some particular software (OS included), that software does not exist for him/her.

If you want more non-programmers running these modified DP builds and reporting back, how about something along these lines:

May 18th. This is where we stand now. If you want to run the latest build, you should:
a) download DP xxx, available here: <link>
b) download additional components available here: <link>
c) move additional components to following locations: <description>
d) if you don't know how to move those components manually, here's the script that should be run from the terminal: <link>
e) restart your Mac
f) rebuild permissions.

You get the idea.. ;)

Respectfully,

Reactions: ChrisCharman

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
Well, the stuff you guys are posting, most of the readers can barely follow. I'm saying this in defence of ordinary user, I personally (being an EE) can more or less understand what this is all about.

What they see is a bunch of screenshots, bragging, hurt egos, someone is running something that was available for some time, then it was taken down, then running something even newer, that also dissappears, but someone still have it, bases his further work on it, but nobody else have this stuff. Then someone says something about compiling kexts. And libs. And using gcc, but not that one, but this one, which only exists where? And Xcode from buld X moved to build Y, because that one has bugs and so it goes for several pages.

As I said in one other thread, if ordinary user can not easily install some particular software (OS included), that software does not exist for him/her.

If you want more non-programmers running these modified DP builds and reporting back, how about something along these lines:

May 18th. This is where we stand now. If you want to run the latest build, you should:
a) download DP xxx, available here: <link>
b) download additional components available here: <link>
c) move additional components to following locations: <description>
d) if you don't know how to move those components manually, here's the script that should be run from the terminal: <link>
e) restart your Mac
f) rebuild permissions.

You get the idea.. ;)

Respectfully,
Thanks for the explanation @ojfd. I feel that @B S Magnet has done this with the wikipost already. A disk image was made available for build 10A190 for ordinary users to play with (That’s how i started out) and I later created a disk image for 10A096 for ordinary users to restore and follow @B S Magnet’s table in the wiki if that’s what they wanted to do.

As far as the goal of testing to see which developer builds boot on PowerPC is concerned, we established that long ago and all details are in the wiki. That task is complete.

What has followed since then is @barracuda156 working to make an easy to use functional MacPorts available for people using 10A190, after another user (kencu i believe was his name) was made to feel unwelcome and left the thread taking all of his work with him simply because he didn’t follow rigorous documentation guidelines commanded by others, and myself trying to update 10A190 using Apple Open Source Projects to see if we can get any closer to the released version of Snow Leopard.

@educovas recently joined the thread and accelerated this work considerably managing to enable hardware graphics acceleration, and contributed the first bootable 10A222 build, using his knowledge and experience to achieve something nobody else had, and he was also the first to compile the 10A432 release kernel for PowerPC and boot it, and was in the process of creating a hybrid of developer previews and his compiled kernel before he too was made to feel unwelcome and left the thread taking all of his work with him, simply because he didn’t follow the rigorous documentation guidelines commanded by others and because he was hounded to provide PowerPC G5 support, in spite of the fact that he didn’t even own a G5 machine and was volunteering his contributions just like everyone else.

I understand that the technobabble may seem uninteresting to some but if one’s only goal is to install a developer preview then there’s really no reason to continue to follow the thread, just read the wiki and either follow the instructions or use a pre-installed .dmg and have fun with it.

For those us that aren’t satisfied with only running the previews, as is, there will be continued development but it won’t be shared on this thread if it isn’t appreciated, as has clearly, repeatedly been demonstrated and actively objected to despite an apparent willingness to want to benefit from this hard work once it’s completed.

It takes a great deal of effort and time to do this work and it’s incredibly useful to be able to share ideas and knowledge with others tinkering on the builds, especially those with a greater level of knowledge and experience, but they get treated with disrespect and eventually no longer want to contribute.

As stated , if this kind of content isn’t for this thread then please all make that clear now and I will happily create another thread and consider this one as a completed project - with the only aim being to boot, document and archive the developer previews 10A096 and 10A190 as all later builds require significant modifications that require methods and tools nobody wishes to read about apparently.

If there’s nothing else to be done here then I personally have no reason to continue to be a part of this project either.

Last edited:

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
Thanks for the explanation @ojfd. I feel that @B S Magnet has done this with the wikipost already. A disk image was made available for build 10A190 for ordinary users to play with (That’s how i started out) and I later created a disk image for 10A096 for ordinary users to restore and follow @B S Magnet’s table in the wiki if that’s what they wanted to do.

As far as the goal of testing to see which developer builds boot on PowerPC is concerned, we established that long ago and all details are in the wiki. That task is complete.

What has followed since then is @barracuda156 working to make an easy to use functional MacPorts available for people using 10A190, after another user (kencu i believe was his name) was made to feel unwelcome and left the thread taking all of his work with him simply because he didn’t follow rigorous documentation guidelines commanded by others, and myself trying to update 10A190 using Apple Open Source Projects to see if we can get any closer to the released version of Snow Leopard.

@educovas recently joined the thread and accelerated this work considerably and contributed the first bootable 10A222 build, using his knowledge and experience to achieve something nobody else had, and he was also the first to compile the 10A432 release kernel for PowerPC and boot it, and was in the process of creating a hybrid of developer previews and his compiled kernel before he too was made to feel unwelcome and left the thread taking all of his work with him, simply because he didn’t follow the rigorous documentation guidelines commanded by others and because he was hounded to provide PowerPC G5 support, in spite of the fact that he didn’t even own a G5 machine and was volunteering his contributions just like everyone else.

I understand that the technobabble may seem uninteresting to some but if one’s only goal is to install a developer preview then there’s really no reason to continue to follow the thread, just read the wiki and either follow the instructions or use a pre-installed .dmg and have fun with it.

For those us that aren’t satisfied with only running the previews, as is, there will be continued development but it won’t be shared on this thread if it isn’t appreciated, as has clearly, repeatedly been demonstrated and actively objected to despite an apparent willingness to want to benefit from this hard work once it’s completed.

It takes a great deal of effort and time to do this work and it’s incredibly useful to be able to share ideas and knowledge with others tinkering on the builds, especially those with a greater level of knowledge and experience, but they get treated with disrespect and eventually no longer want to contribute.

As stated , if this kind of content isn’t for this thread then please all make that clear now and I will happily create another thread and consider this one as a completed project - with the only aim being to boot, document and archive the developer previews 10A096 and 10A190 as all later builds require significant modifications that require methods and tools nobody wishes to read about apparently.

If there’s nothing else to be done here then I personally have no reason to continue to be a part of this project either.

I totally share the sentiment and ready to move on.

We can have our own thread on development, which would not be anyone’s “pet project” and will be free from associated demands to fit a single person’s preferences.

It was very unfortunate that Ken was forced to leave back then, and now the story repeated with another developer, whose contribution is outstanding and who could do yet more.

(Development thread can even be moved to GitHub in fact, into someone’s discussion section. That could also make it easier to get feedback from some developers whose help we need or may need: Iain Sandoe, Darwinbuild upstream etc.)

P. S. I will maintain a thread on MacPorts on PowerPC (primarily on 10.6 ppc) here on the forum, so anyone interested to have a working software, you know where to find it.

I don’t object to creating a separate thread that is concerned only with building and tinkering with the system components if that sort of content is no longer of interest to people following along here?

A separate thread for components which aren’t integral to the bog-basic functioning of SL-PPC — such as macports development — merits a unique thread. Doing this removes confusion from actual testing of bog-basic system components (like kexts, frameworks, and linked/dependent system binaries unique to each SL-PPC build).

A new thread, one focussed on macports and building open-source software, can be added to the wikipost for interested folks who want to delve into that ancillary direction. I’ve been pretty consistent about this request for at least a couple of years. I don’t think this was ever a radical ask, owing to the nature and scope of the core objectives covered in the wikipost not being centred on something Apple wasn’t involved in during their OS development.

Cheers.

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
A separate thread for components which aren’t integral to the bog-basic functioning of SL-PPC — such as macports development — merits a unique thread. Doing this removes confusion from actual testing of bog-basic system components (like kexts, frameworks, and linked/dependent system binaries unique to each SL-PPC build).

A new thread, one focussed on macports and building open-source software, can be added to the wikipost for interested folks who want to delve into that ancillary direction. I’ve been pretty consistent about this request for at least a couple of years. I don’t think this was ever a radical ask, owing to the nature and scope of the core objectives covered in the wikipost not being centred on something Apple wasn’t involved in during their OS development.

Cheers.

There is a separate thread for MacPorts related development @B S Magnet.

The reason @barracuda156 posted his MacPorts installer to this thread and asked me to test it was because it was designed and built to run on 10A190 and the people that would be using it are the same people following this thread, and I have been for many years the principle tester running build 10A190. You are aware that i supported and encouraged the creation of a separate thread for MacPorts.

All of the open source projects I have been building and investigating are directly from Apple, for the OS, and until now had not been considered as a separate endeavour to the aim ‘trying to get the developer previews running optimally on PowerPC’. The last time I suggested branching the project, it was objected to, so we continued our efforts collectively here.

All other ‘development’ related posts from other users fit into this ethos as well, but their contributions, and those users, were antagonised and objected to for not following the ‘rules’ that as far as i’m aware, were not ever mutually agreed by anyone, and because of this they no longer wish to contribute. An effort to explain that step by step documentation would come after the work had been completed was ignored and dismissed.

Out of interest, what is it exactly that has prompted these objections from seemingly a minority of very vocal users? I understand @ojfd’s request, for the most part, but my gut instinct is really to remind people that reading these posts is optional, nobody has forced anyone to follow along with what we are doing, and nothing we have said detracts or negates any information that has already been provided earlier in the thread or in the wikipost, nor do they make the information and resources shared on the Macintosh Repository and Macintosh Garden less usable or valuable.

Additionally, what further posts will be added to this thread now that the people actively working on the builds are being requested to move along and not by the original creator of the thread i might add, nor the mods?

I see nothing in the pipeline, aside from @B S Magnet’s eventual pre-installed 10A096 disk image with all tweaks outlined in the wiki implemented, so essentially the request is to let the thread and further development stagnate until such time that @B S Magnet decides to assemble this .dmg of the modified first developer preview ‘A Clouded Leopard’ and share it, or to abide by the rules set out by the person who has volunteered to maintain the wiki post, because apparently that makes them the sole arbiter and authority on all things discussed here - a self appointed leadership role.

This is an incredibly disappointing, non-collaborative and confrontational stance that I do not support. I don’t understand it at all.

Out of respect, I will restrict all of my posts on this thread moving forward to answering questions, responding to comments and congratulations extended to anything new that is discovered here.

May be worth removing the todos from the wikipost.

IMG_1335.jpeg

Last edited:

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
With all due respect, @ChrisCharman, why all the drama? ;)

All that I was suggesting was that someone from time to time throws in a comment or two that genaral public can understand and is kept interested.
After all, the title of this thread says Snow Leopard on Unsupported PowerPC Macs. The thread itself is pinned at the very top of PowerPC Macs forum. Every time a newcomer visits this forum, it sees it at the top and most probably starts reading it.
The very first page of the thread starts with this:

OVERVIEW

We’re exploring how to run early builds of Snow Leopard on (later) G4 and G5 PowerPC Macs.

Join us on this adventure!

There's that invitation to join the adventure. I don't see anywhere mention that this is coder centric thread, and if you're not one of them, you should grab the ready made image from the first page and leave the others alone.
Also, this thread quite often is at the top of the list and many members click on it to check it out.

As to the other issue, well, if one is voluntarily joining the community to share his knowledge or resources, he/she should not get upset or offended if he or she is not treated like a rockstar.
Because this is how online communities usually work. ;)

(Been there, done that, have a T-shirt. Something like, being a non-programmer, spending close to 2 months and over 200 compiles to fix the memory leaks issue in 32 bit version of Qt 5.3.2 for Snow Leopard, that Qt themselves abandoned and no programmer have ever fixed, by try and error porting parts from Qt 5.4.x and so on. Gave it to anyone who needed it. Even gave a copy to a commercial software developer, who was using that version. Did I get a free copy of his software? No. Did I get a medal from someone? No. Did I get the applause? No, just the usual 'thanks'. So what? I'm fine with it.
Or this long discussion:
All in my free time and on my dime. For the good of others. All documented. And the guy don't even give me credit in his paper. So what? I'm fine with that too).

See what I mean? ;)

Reactions: B S Magnet

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
With all due respect, @ChrisCharman, why all the drama? ;)

All that I was suggesting was that someone from time to time throws in a comment or two that genaral public can understand and is kept interested.
After all, the title of this thread says Snow Leopard on Unsupported PowerPC Macs. The thread itself is pinned at the very top of PowerPC Macs forum. Every time a newcomer visits this forum, it sees it at the top and most probably starts reading it.
The very first page of the thread starts with this:

OVERVIEW

We’re exploring how to run early builds of Snow Leopard on (later) G4 and G5 PowerPC Macs.

Join us on this adventure!

There's that invitation to join the adventure. I don't see anywhere mention that this is coder centric thread, and if you're not one of them, you should grab the ready made image from the first page and leave the others alone.
Also, this thread quite often is at the top of the list and many members click on it to check it out.

As to the other issue, well, if one is voluntarily joining the community to share his knowledge or resources, he/she should not get upset or offended if he or she is not treated like a rockstar.
Because this is how online communities usually work. ;)

(Been there, done that, have a T-shirt. Something like, being a non-programmer, spending close to 2 months and over 200 compiles to fix the memory leaks issue in 32 bit version of Qt 5.3.2 for Snow Leopard, that Qt themselves abandoned and no programmer have ever fixed, by try and error porting parts from Qt 5.4.x and so on. Gave it to anyone who needed it. Even gave a copy to a commercial software developer, who was using that version. Did I get a free copy of his software? No. Did I get a medal from someone? No. Did I get the applause? No, just the usual 'thanks'. So what? I'm fine with it.
Or this long discussion:
All in my free time and on my dime. For the good of others. All documented. And the guy don't even give me credit in his paper. So what? I'm fine with that too).

See what I mean? ;)
Hi @ojfd

I haven’t asked for credit at all, i don’t care about anything remotely as petty, my annoyance is with the drama itself! If you take the time to read back through my message history on the thread you’ll see a pattern of me trying to diffuse drama, and also a pattern of me answering questions and explaining things to people. Just because the last few pages of the thread have been ‘coder’ heavy doesn’t mean that newcomers are unable to read the wiki post and obtain assistance if they need it.

If you actually take the time to read through the thread, and understand who has caused the drama you might understand my points a bit more clearly. I do this for fun, in my free time. I’m not a developer and I have never claimed to be an expert.

My frustration is with the people that complain when experts contribute and then get pushed out of the project because they haven’t explained every step of everything they’ve done. That’s literally my only complaint. Click on my username and read my message history if you feel i’m being disingenuous or stepping away unnecessarily, you clearly haven’t read everything if you don’t understand my stance on this. It’s pretty clear. Demanding, not asking respectfully or politely, for someone to write down everything they are doing and report it in the way dictated by a single user is controlling and not at all in the spirit of goodwill or community, no matter how it’s justified, and to then actively disrespect those contributors for not complying is just plain rude.

Last edited:
If you actually take the time to read through the thread, and understand who has caused the drama you might understand my points a bit more clearly. I do this for fun, in my free time. I’m not a developer and I have never claimed to be an expert.

Chris, if I have caused the drama, then call me out on it. Obliquity isn’t productive.

As for you and for anyone else, bear in mind what my basic contribution has been:

1) Organization and documentation.
From May 2020, I volunteered to take up the mantle to organize the assorted work each contributor had (and has) been doing; to encourage everyone to continue to share their findings; and to document them. In other words, I strove to uphold and maintain some ad hoc project management, to keep all focussed on a key objective of getting OS X Snow Leopard builds operating and running smoothly on PowerPC Macs.

As a part of that contribution, I managed and organized the wikipost and prepared it in a way which would try to answer most basic questions for anyone who embarked on contributing, and I’d also provide details on areas already covered and solved. I organized the wikipost to make it clear this project’s steps would be documented thoroughly and openly, no matter who was contributing.

2) Maintaining openness.
Part of the message in that wikipost, even if not explicitly so, was to maintain community-based openness about the work.

Openness means just that: come up with a fix, then share in detail how you made that fix. It means sharing steps one followed to make Problem A become Solution B.

Running off to do stuff, then declining or withholding to share those contributions; and/or to act as if a closed-door, proprietary thing is somehow perfectly kosher for this project, was never in keeping with that openness. It slows down others’ ability to mirror the same steps, to replicate the process, and to verify why the process works.

This was something educovas couldn’t abide, as was his preference. To dispense with project openness — to allow exceptions — wasn’t really on the table for this project. (Had it been so, then it’d amount to a futility of herding cats, as different contributors holding their cards close to chest can only benefit them, not the whole project.) I think educovas might have grasped that, had they actually relied on the wikipost and did a read-through of the nearly 100 pages of discussion. They chose what they chose anyhow.

3) Avoiding feature creep or project drift.
From the day Larsvonhier and vddrnr got this project rolling in early 2020, the objective was to get Mac OS X Snow Leopard running and running stable on PowerPC Macs — whether G4 or G5 (optimally, both!). Anything which Apple never, didn’t, nor wouldn’t ship with an OS of any vintage wasn’t central to this project.

Testing software on SL-PPC (i.e., “I opened Photoshop CS4 successfully on Build 10A190” or “I finally managed to get the system to see a Linksys Broadcom PCMCIA card as Airport-native”) is one thing. It verifies whether our community fixes break other OS X software from running. Another, however, is to turn the majority of the project and its discussion over to one relating to a third-party package manager. That becomes a time when opening a companion thread on that area becomes necessary for it to be its most useful.

Over two years ago, I felt I was gentle about this and suggested having Macports stuff opened on a companion thread. I nudged, and I got prompt push-back. I let it slide, then nudged once more, gently, the following year. Maybe I should have been more assertive then, because here we are now. (That is to say: I didn’t want to be heavy-handed about it in 2021/2022.)

This isn’t to discount the importance and niftiness of getting Macports to play nice on SL-PPC, and this isn’t to say the audience of participants between working on SL-PPC and Macports were terribly different. (I’d love to have Macports work on SL-PPC, even if that was infeasible for 10A96.) It does, however, muddy the organization of what relates to what, and it drifts us away from the central remit of this project: to get the SL-PPC builds running, and to do so with better stability.

When educovas abruptly picked up and left, I was disappointed to see them go.

Because a new person to the project showed up and presented all these amazing feats, but without being open about how they did so, it ran completely against the grain of the openness which was in place since project outset. This hinted at a rejection of everything in the wikipost which they didn’t take to heart: that this wasn’t a compartmentalized, proprietary, individualized effort, but an open, collaborative, peer-replicable, and transparent one — something virtually every other contributor has maintained faithfully throughout.

As my asking them to be transparent and open received cool reception (and even by others who, I reckon, were fascinated by their sudden leaps and bounds and impatient about doing due diligence to document these breakthroughs), I volunteered to step back from the project altogether, as maybe that openness and keeping everyone on track and on the same page was no longer relevant or widely desired. If so, then OK. Be upfront. Say so. I can have joy in knowing we got as far as we did whilst we had that openness and period of staying on track.

(At the same time, my re-iterating how this project had always worked — collaboratively, openly, transparently — prompted them to pick up and leave, as these were asks they either wouldn’t or couldn’t fulfil. Again, their choice.)

Last bit.

I ran out of as much spare time to give as I had during the apex of pandemic.

Moreover, the bulk of emphasis by most contributors and testers was on Build 10A190 (and maybe beyond). My work on 10A96 earned a back seat to folks’ interest in 10A190 (and that’s perfectly OK!). Besides myself, I wasn’t aware anyone was pining for a “finished” 10A96. I wish I’d known otherwise, because I’d have found a way to make time once I had less of it to give (ca. mid-2022 or so). But in doing the testing work for 10A96, I had hoped to set a routine/algorithm/format/whatever for documenting testing outcomes on other builds. I should have been explicit about this. I wasn’t. I’m sorry.

I’m stepping back, but not away. I’m sorry this didn’t go smoothly.

I’ll still follow, read, react to, and occasionally respond to posts on this thread, as it’s probably the most meaningful thing I learnt to work on since hopping onto the MR forums. Snow Leopard is a truly awesome version of OS X (and I will die on that hill!). SL-PPC is also a wonderful project, and there’ve been a lot of good people who’ve done amazing work and have shared their findings with each other, to the benefit of everyone.

At this time, I can’t give undivided attention it deserves as I once could. I also don’t have mental bandwidth for push-back against the above three items I oversaw — to be dismissed whenever I tried to nudge others to stay on track.

@ChrisCharman : once a “Macports for Snow Leopard on PowerPC” thread is opened, could you let me know? I’ll add it to the wikipost. Cheers.

Last edited:

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
@ChrisCharman : once a “Macports for Snow Leopard on PowerPC” thread is opened, could you let me know? I’ll add it to the wikipost. Cheers.

@B S Magnet my intention is not to be oblique but to avoid a witch hunt, and finger pointing is unnecessary. Ownership of one’s actions and self awareness should suffice. I’ll respectfully reply to your post in full later.

Here are the links to the threads that @barracuda156 started to document his work on MacPorts and OpenSource software since October 2022 and March 2024 respectively.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macports-development-for-powerpc-10-4-10-5-10-6-unofficial-invitation-to-cooperate

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/open-source-software-currently-supported-on-macos-powerpc

@B S Magnet my intention is not to be oblique but to avoid a witch hunt, and finger pointing is unnecessary. Ownership of one’s actions and self awareness should suffice. I’ll respectfully reply to your post in full later.

Thank you.

Here are the links to the threads that @barracuda156 started to document his work on MacPorts and OpenSource software since October 2022 and March 2024 respectively.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macports-development-for-powerpc-10-4-10-5-10-6-unofficial-invitation-to-cooperate

I know of this thread. After it was opened, Macports posts continued to dominate on this SL-PPC thread.

From my vantage, and considering the wealth of posts about Macports on this thread after the above thread was opened, it stood unclear whether that thread was dedicated to Macports on SL-PPC or just the all final, general versions of PowerPC-able Macs and their respective Macports support. Perhaps that’s where all the Macports-on-SL-PPC posts belonged the whole time. Either way, what’s done is done.

Thank you.

Reactions: TheStork

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
Feel like i'm getting back in the 'flow', continuing my ongoing work of compiling the Apple Open Source Projects tree for 10.6 for PowerPC!

AOSP.jpg

Once i've done all that I can, I will share a disk image of all the compiled files for others to play with, and attempt something similar to what @educovas did with his 10A432 frankenstein build, but using my built projects from the 10A432 source tree instead of copying over the 10A190 components with the exception of the UI elements and anything that cannot be rebuilt from source.

I really don't have a lot of free time these days, and don't want to spam the thread with developer talk so will report significant progress when it seems appropriate, so if i'm not active on here for a time or am slow to reply, please don't assume that I've given-up or lost interest!

MacPro2006VBox

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Feel like i'm getting back in the 'flow', continuing my ongoing work of compiling the Apple Open Source Projects tree for 10.6 for PowerPC!

View attachment 2381629

Once i've done all that I can, I will share a disk image of all the compiled files for others to play with, and attempt something similar to what @educovas did with his 10A432 frankenstein build, but using my built projects from the 10A432 source tree instead of copying over the 10A190 components with the exception of the UI elements and anything that cannot be rebuilt from source.

I really don't have a lot of free time these days, and don't want to spam the thread with developer talk so will report significant progress when it seems appropriate, so if i'm not active on here for a time or am slow to reply, please don't assume that I've given-up or lost interest!

We get there when we get there… no worries.

Reactions: B S Magnet

macaroniguy

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2012
All I see is page after page of mumbo jumbo which should be on a site like github.
No links to dowload files. No instructions.
No help to non programmers or non coders like me.
The days when Macers tried to help each other are DEAD!

All I see is page after page of mumbo jumbo which should be on a site like github.
No links to dowload files. No instructions.

Start with post #1.

Take the time to look through it. Clear your plate and read it.

Click-open-new-tab links within post #1 to read why those links were collected for post #1.

Use post #1 to get going.

My suggestion: start with downloading Build 10A190 (links on post #1), because more people have been testing that build over Build 10A96 (which would, well, be mostly me).

No help to non programmers or non coders like me.

I can’t program my way out of a shoebox, and I’ve managed to get quite far with it. You can, too. I believe in you. Believe in yourself.

The days when Macers tried to help each other are DEAD!

Really, macearoni guy… hyperbole isn’t helping your point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.