Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2021
Not sure how to articulate this but, sometimes, randomly, but often enough to notice, while typing words a character will be deleted causing me to misspell. I can see that I typed it, it made it on screen and then very quickly like backspaced (but I didn't hit delete)

This is hard to articulate with words, but has anyone else experienced this?

Using a mechanical USB keyboard, so I tried to use two different ones, same issue all 3 devices. So Its either an issue in software or how my keyboards are connected via TB3 doc/USB?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I suppose the first thing to try would be to bypass the dock and connect the keyboard directly to the computer, if possible.

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2021
Wanted to follow back up with this. This only happens in Microsoft Outlook. It does not happen anywhere else, but unfortunate because I spend 90% of my day in Outlook replying to work emails. This happens on my M1 Mac mini and M1 Max MBP, so I'm fairly sure its either an Outlook issue or a MacOS issue. I have tried reinstalled Office, Reinstalled MacOS on 1 machine, updated Outlook to the latest, tried the latest beta of Office, issue persists. Currently on MacOS 12.3 with Outlook version 16.60.

When I Quit outlook and reopen, issue disappears for a random amount of time and everything is great. Some time later it comes back, only resolving with a full Quit of Outlook and reopen. Figured I'd do an explantation here incase anyone runs into this very weird issue.

momomochi

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2022
I am currently having this same problem on my Mid-2015 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina, running El Capitan and my old Word for Mac from 2008, except it seems to be happening in all of my MS Office products, most frustratingly Word when I try to change the font to my preferred "Georgia" it keeps deleting the e, even if I type it numerous times. The only way to enter "georgia" in the font name box in Formatting Palette is to let it delete the e, type at least one more letter, then go back and enter the e afterward.

Thank you for sharing your semi-fix here. If anyone else finds another, please post.

Unfortunately for me, my whole system is aging and I have several issues to address until I can afford to update.

Update: rather than "train" autocorrect to stop correcting hundreds of words, I just unchecked "replace text as you type" in the Autocorrect menu, which turns off all features of autocorrect except for the four capitalization features that can be selected independently.

I still wish there was a better solution, because I certainly do type too quickly and mistype here and there, but it's much better than not being able to type words that I intend to or spending hte (see!) time to fix every instance.

I would really love to know what in the world caused my autocorrect to go insane in the first place, since I've had this computer 7 years and used this version of Windows for Mac for twice that and I don't update my OS unless I need to.

Last edited:

Nocturnal1

Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Honolulu, HI
I'm seeing this on a new Mac Studio with Magic Keyboard. It happens in Outlook and it just happened in Edge. I'm wondering if it is a Microsoft bug. Very annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.