Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
after upgrading to sonoma 14.3 on my mac mini m2 mouse steelseries rival 3 usb is no longer smooth, added imput lag when dragging windows

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
How does that mouse connect?
USB?
Bluetooth?
Some other way?
usb. I've tried other mice too.

everything worked fine yesterday, now I left the mac overnight and these problems started, I'm tired of trying to fix it

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
This provides more insight. Try reinstalling macOS again. You don’t need to wipe it and start from scratch. Just let it install over top of your current version. It’s possible something was corrupted during the install.

If you have any custom software that you use for/with your mouse remove it and reinstall it as well.

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
EVERYTHING HAS JUST STARTED WORKING SMOOTHLY, WHAT IS THE REASON? I do not understand

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
This provides more insight. Try reinstalling macOS again. You don’t need to wipe it and start from scratch. Just let it install over top of your current version. It’s possible something was corrupted during the install.

If you have any custom software that you use for/with your mouse remove it and reinstall it as well.
I've done this 5 times)

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
EVERYTHING HAS JUST STARTED WORKING SMOOTHLY, WHAT IS THE REASON? I do not understand
If you’ve renstalled 5 times in the past few days, you may not haven given the system enough time finish all of its background tasks.

If it’s stable now, see how it fares over the next day or two.

Ecliptic

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2024
Are you on a 60hz screen? Apple has added smoothing at 60hz with 14.3, which might feel smoother but with more input lag. They seriously screwed things up with mice above 60hz on external screens though.

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
Phase of the moon?
I agree, it's very strange.

I unplugged the power to the whole flat, restarted the mac about 30 times, unplugged the monitor about 50 times, and finally it just abruptly stopped hanging and now opening tabs in chrome and scrolling through pages is smooth, which is how a mac should actually work.

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
Are you on a 60hz screen? Apple has added smoothing at 60hz with 14.3, which might feel smoother but with more input lag. They seriously screwed things up with mice above 60hz on external screens though.
Yes, I noticed it but I couldn't find any information about it anywhere, thanks for mentioning it. it's not critical but still, you can get used to it, did they add it on macbooks too?

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
If you’ve renstalled 5 times in the past few days, you may not haven given the system enough time finish all of its background tasks.

but what processes are we talking about?

I disabled spotlight on my hdd, it's quite slow and i think it doesn't need it, also i disabled most of the stuff i don't need and my mac is a bit more stable now

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 03.19.34.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 03.19.34.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 62

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024

ok, I guess the issue is that the mac was going into sleep mode.

I downloaded this program to permanently disable sleep for my mac

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 03.20.57.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 03.20.57.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 40

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
I also noticed that after the update chrome started writing a lot of gb to the drive

this 4gb was written in a couple of hours of use

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 03.25.12.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 03.25.12.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 37

Ecliptic

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2024
Yes, I noticed it but I couldn't find any information about it anywhere, thanks for mentioning it. it's not critical but still, you can get used to it, did they add it on macbooks too?
It seems they've been breaking and fixing things around mice in 14.3 and now everything is back to normal in 14.4 Beta 2. I just tried 60hz in this beta and it follows 3rd party mice very directly without any smoothing effects and delays, so expect a fix soon.
The smoothing is still there when using a Magic Mouse at 60hz, but that's the way it should be. The Magic Mouse is a stutter fest at 120hz though, so I expect they might try to fix this too.

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
It seems they've been breaking and fixing things around mice in 14.3 and now everything is back to normal in 14.4 Beta 2. I just tried 60hz in this beta and it follows 3rd party mice very directly without any smoothing effects and delays, so expect a fix soon.
The smoothing is still there when using a Magic Mouse at 60hz, but that's the way it should be. The Magic Mouse is a stutter fest at 120hz though, so I expect they might try to fix this too.
thanks for the information, I will wait for version 14.4

I hope someday they will fix the problem with third party mice too, my chrome is very smooth now but safari works jerkily(

Ecliptic

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2024
I am confused. I have just mentioned that 3rd party mouse problems are fixed in 14.4 Beta 2. What issues do you have with your 3rd party mouse?

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
I am confused. I have just mentioned that 3rd party mouse problems are fixed in 14.4 Beta 2. What issues do you have with your 3rd party mouse?
I'm not completely sure what's wrong, but the scrolling jerks have been there since i first started mac. i downloaded the mac mouse fix app and everything works fine, but not in safari, in other apps everything is smooth, but sometimes there is a little bit of jerking.

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
It's also strange that the mac only works well at 60 hertz. My monitor supports 75 hertz, and they seem smoother than 60, but when I select 75, in some apps, the animations start to freeze and I have to go back to 60.

they should fix all this in the latest versions of sonoma.

Ecliptic

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2024
3rd party mouse scrolling on macOS is not natively intended to be smooth by design. Get rid of all the 3rd party mouse software and install only BetterMouse, it will take care of all your smooth scrolling, tracking, binding and gestures. I can confirm that macOS works perfectly with BetterMouse in Safari and any other apps.

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
3rd party mouse scrolling on macOS is not natively intended to be smooth by design. Get rid of all the 3rd party mouse software and install only BetterMouse, it will take care of all your smooth scrolling, tracking, binding and gestures. I can confirm that macOS works perfectly with BetterMouse in Safari and any other apps.
yes, I tried this programme and compared it to mac mouse fix - they are the same, but mac mouse fix is better than that it allows you to assign side buttons for mission control and other tasks.

safari itself doesn't run smoothly and i don't know what the reason is. all other browsers and apps work fine

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
I have noticed a strange thing - every time I unplug my monitor and plug it in, my mouse either runs smoothly or jerks, is this all the monitor's fault?

Ecliptic

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2024
I’m sorry as I can’t reproduce your issue. Safari scrolls butter smooth for me with BetterMouse on M2 Pro. Also, I have mission control, launchpad, notification center bound to side button hold/move gestures via BetterMouse.

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
I’m sorry as I can’t reproduce your issue. Safari scrolls butter smooth for me with BetterMouse on M2 Pro. Also, I have mission control, launchpad, notification center bound to side button hold/move gestures via BetterMouse.
I'm using an external monitor and you seem to have a macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.