Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I've used a standard bunch of scripts and webDAV shares for years on every OSX install - just drag to the dock and one click.

grab.png

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@PowerfulEra Actually, yes. I was just about to post some.

Sorbet Leopard's development has progressed much more since the last update, but due to resulting system instability during testing, restored iSub support will unfortunately need to be omitted. And the companion app store will probably have to wait until after the base system is out.

Other than that, the project is now about 75% complete, and I should have another Feature Showcase to share pretty soon. No guarantees, but an October release is at this point looking likely.

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Hang tight, folks. Sorbet Leopard has taken a backseat lately due to my limited time going elsewhere, but I can assure you it WILL be out soon, in one way or another.

One of the things I wanted to include with it halfway through development were updated certificates and security libraries, alongside new versions of various terminal utilities to replace all of the old ones. Space-wise, I'm still trying to figure out the most efficient way to do that (the final image will be ~8 GB in size), but once that's taken care of, the path to release will be a mostly straight shot. Afterward, work can begin on the custom app store, which will feature various tools, applications, and suites created over the years by the PowerPC community, many of which will have been originating from this forum.

As for future Feature Showcases, there are a couple more features still under wraps, but as they remain incomplete at this time, I unfortunately can't yet show them to you.

Until then, the near-final desktop is the best I can offer:

Picture 1.png

Stay tuned!

NightlyH

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2021
On the sister thread you mentioned something about beta testing. Is this still an option to test it early on supported hardware?

Reactions: Melchieor

MoerBoer

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2018
I just cannot wait for the live boot feature. Every time I load a different OS on PPC Mac, it forgets the Wireless Apple keyboard. Will love to pair up the keyboard again without reinstalling an entire OS just for that.

amishallin

macrumors member
May 31, 2020
I'll have to try this on my '02 Quicksilver G4 dual 1Ghz with Radeon 9800 pro AGP 4x (not modded 8x with blue board).

Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@NightlyH It is indeed. If your machine of choice meets the minimum specs, I can add you to the development coordination thread where several others have been testing pre-releases and offering feedback. Be aware that updates may be infrequent, though.

@MoerBoer As you know, Linux Live USBs work much the same way, as do builds of Fienix and Raspberry Pi OS. That's the advantage of going with a bootable image rather than a stripped down installer, the system can use it the moment it's downloaded and restored to disk. In order to ensure reliability with Open Firmware however, please be advised that this feature will require a specific model of pre-approved USB drive that the user will need to purchase ahead of time. You may attempt to use various other forms of USB media, but due to Open Firmware's fickleness with USB devices, your mileage may vary if so chosen.

@amishallin It should fly. :)

MoerBoer

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2018
@NightlyH It is indeed. If your machine of choice meets the minimum specs, I can add you to the development coordination thread where several others have been testing pre-releases and offering feedback. Be aware that updates may be infrequent, though.

@MoerBoer As you know, Linux Live USBs work much the same way, as do builds of Fienix and Raspberry Pi OS. That's the advantage of going with a bootable image rather than a stripped down installer, the system can use it the moment it's downloaded and restored to disk. In order to ensure reliability with Open Firmware however, please be advised that this feature will require a specific model of pre-approved USB drive that the user will need to purchase ahead of time. You may attempt to use various other forms of USB media, but due to Open Firmware's fickleness with USB devices, your mileage may vary if so chosen.

@amishallin It should fly. :)

Thanks, that's not a problem at all. I've had success with Sandisk USB sticks booting from OF in the past.

Melchieor

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2021
Count me in as well if you need assistance testing. I have a quad g5 I can use as well as a G4 PowerBook 1.67Ghz and a G4 MDD 1Ghz. Excited to seeing this completed!

Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Updated the first post to more accurately reflect the feature set of current builds and project roadmaps.

@Melchieor As per request, you have been added to the development coordination thread. Welcome aboard!

Last edited:
Reactions: fra9000

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@pipetogrep I'm assuming your testbed machine of choice would be the second configuration listed within your signature.

Now this is interesting ... it seems we've hit the limit for members included in a conversation; I am unable to add any more.

Nonetheless, give me a little while to figure out what to do here, I'm sure we'll come up with something ...

Reactions: fra9000

pipetogrep

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2021
@pipetogrep I'm assuming your testbed machine of choice would be the second configuration listed within your signature.

Now this is interesting ... it seems we've hit the limit for members included in a conversation; I am unable to add any more.

Nonetheless, give me a little while to figure out what to do here, I'm sure we'll come up with something ...
Yes indeed. The PowerMac. Standing by and thanks!

r34per

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2020
Hey @z970mp If you're still looking for machines to test it out on I'd be happy to beta test it on my sawtooth g4 with a 2ghz 7448 maxpower g4 cpu upgrade and a pci radeon 9250!

Reactions: lepidotós

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@r34per Hmm ... The PCI Radeon 9250 is not a Core Image-supported card. Would you have anything else available?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.