Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pamela_astara

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2021
Greetings Good People.

I am having a bear of a time reclaiming my 43k+ photos and videos from ICloud back to my IMac (10.12.6). I have plenty of memory onboard, but the process of downloading 43k originals to my Mac is taking forever and eating up all of my data allowance.

I ultimately want to turn off the ICloud syncing of photos & movies permanently so I can have free offline access. FYI, I haven't updated my OS in quite a while because I don't want to lose my many legacy apps.

Is there a quick and easy way to batch download the photos and movies from ICloud and maintain the complicated album and folder structure I have created over these many years? Perhaps there is a third party app I can use?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
If you're sure you have enough storage space available on your iMac, go into Photos > Preferences > iCloud, and select Download Originals to this Mac. Make sure you're backing up your photos on your iMac too.

There's more info about turning off iCloud Photo in this Apple Support article:

I have to say your thread title is over the top for such a simple request, in all caps no less. And no idea why you've posted it in iOS 10 when it's a macOS app question. You're new here, so maybe next time tone down the hyperbole.

pamela_astara

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2021
If you're sure you have enough storage space available on your iMac, go into Photos > Preferences > iCloud, and select Download Originals to this Mac. Make sure you're backing up your photos on your iMac too.

There's more info about turning off iCloud Photo in this Apple Support article:

I have to say your thread title is over the top for such a simple request, in all caps no less. And no idea why you've posted it in iOS 10 when it's a macOS app question. You're new here, so maybe next time tone down the hyperbole.
Hello.

Thanks for your quick response. Yes, I am new to this forum. Also new to IOS vs macOS, and/or extremely stupid. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll delete that extremely offensive all caps amped up "hyperbole" post and do a kinder and gentler re-post in the macOS forum. Thanks you for your very generous observation.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Hello.

Thanks for your quick response. Yes, I am new to this forum. Also new to IOS vs macOS, and/or extremely stupid. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll delete that extremely offensive all caps amped up "hyperbole" post and do a kinder and gentler re-post in the macOS forum. Thanks you for your very generous observation.
The moderators can move this to the macOS forum for you. Just tap the Report button in your original post and ask them to move it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.