Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freewheelin_jack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
This article highlights the problem I’ve always had with my HomePods. Positioned either side of a TV against one wall, with the sofa against the opposite wall, there is booming uncontrolled bass. ‘Reduce bass’ setting is the only option. Such a shame HomePods don’t have a feature like Sonos TruePlay.

Freewheelin_jack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
I’ve tried moving them all over the place. Nothing makes any difference. The only thing that fixes it is changing the listening position, ie moving the sofa to nearer the centre of the room, which isn’t really practical.

Freewheelin_jack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
I’ve tried high, low, different ends of the room etc, and it doesn’t make any difference. I have a pair of HomePods in the kitchen and they sound great - balanced, clear and controlled. It must be the room.

b17777

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
St.Paul MN
I’ve tried high, low, different ends of the room etc, and it doesn’t make any difference. I have a pair of HomePods in the kitchen and they sound great - balanced, clear and controlled. It must be the room.

Reactions: AL2TEACH

Freewheelin_jack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Yes, most likely they are standing waves. However, room treatment and rearranging furniture is not that practical for most living rooms and that’s what HomePods & Sonos are for is it not? Everyday rooms where you can place speakers anywhere and they adjust using software. Sonos can work around standing waves with TruePlay. HomePods don’t seem to be able to.

Reactions: AL2TEACH
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.