Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone users often find themselves toggling between different keyboard layouts to type messages, emails, or fill out forms. This can slow down communication and disrupt your flow. But there are ways to streamline the process. If this quick tip is new to you, it could revolutionize the way you type on your iPhone and save you precious time.

speed-up-iphone-typing-trick.jpg

Switching away from the alphabetic keyboard layout when you need to type a number or symbol is an all-too-often occurrence on ‌iPhone‌, so here's a quick tip for making the transition super-swift.

Rather than tap the "123" key in the bottom-left corner to switch to the number/symbol keyboard, hold down on the key and then slide your finger over to the number/symbol that you want to type, then let go.

This single action types the number/symbol and automatically switches you right back into the alphabetical layout, avoiding the need to perform three separate taps to achieve the same result.

quick-switch-keyboard.jpg

So next time you find yourself needing to insert a number or symbol, remember this trick and you can type away without pause.

Article Link: Speed Up iPhone Typing With This Simple Keyboard Trick

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
If this thread is going to be a keyboard tips-and-tricks compendium then I’ll add something that took me years to learn.

If you hold your thumb on the spacebar it activates the cursor, offset without your finger being in the way of the text block.

Last edited:

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Enabling and learning swipe also improves speed especially one hand writing :rolleyes:
Eventually you can write without looking like we used to do with the old flip phones

Last edited:

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Doesn’t work for me either. Maybe a setting has to be enabled first.
That doesn’t work for me… when I long press I get no numbers show up? Any ideas?

When you press the 123 key, do you see the numeric keyboard ?

If so, without lifting you thumb (or whatever finger you use), just slide it over the number (or other character) you want and lift the finger. Now the selected character should be written and the keyboard return to the alphabetical keyboard.

Does it not work like that for you ?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I know we dont like Android here but, I like how they have a number row above the keyboard as part of the standard view. It's optional, so you dont have to, but you can. It's a timesaver. This is a good trick though. I have used it many times but forget about it eventually until I am reminded again, appreciate it.

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Rather than tap the "123" key in thbottom-left corner to switch to the number/symbol keyboard, hold down on the key and then slide your finger over to the number/symbol that you want to type, then let go.
Which key are you talking about? I press the 123 key and the numbers come up. What is more efficient than that?

• Disagree
Reactions: Parowdy

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
It's not necessary. When you press the 123 key to type a number, pressing the space key will switch the layout back to alphabetic keyboard. Since most times what follows after you type a digit is either another digit or a new word . This trick is only helpful when what you're trying to do is type a digit and letters together like "1st" or "2nd" etc.

There is an exception though: when you are typing on the url bar of safari. Pressing space key when u are in numeric keyboard won't get you back to alphabetic keyboard.

Last edited:

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
I know we dont like Android here but, I like how they have a number row above the keyboard as part of the standard view. It's optional, so you dont have to, but you can. It's a timesaver. This is a good trick though. I have used it many times but forget about it eventually until I am reminded again, appreciate it.
I like Android just fine.
Options are good. Competition is good. Different opinions and perspectives are good!

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Which key are you talking about? I press the 123 key and the numbers come up. What is more efficient than that?

Your solution:

1 press the 123 key
2 release the 123 key
3 select a number
4 press ABC key
5 release the ABC key

compared to:

1 press and hold the 123 key;
2 slide your finger to desired number;
3 release the numeric key and you are back to the alphabetic keyboard.

technically you save two actions. Whether that makes your day, is up to you. :)

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
It's not necessary. When you press the 123 key to type a number, pressing the space key will switch the layout back to alphabetic keyboard. Since most times what follows after you type a digit is either another digit or a new word . This trick is only helpful when what you're trying to do is type a digit and letters together like "1st" or "2nd" etc.

There is an exception though: when you are typing on the url bar of safari. Pressing space key when u are in numeric keyboard won't get you back to alphabetic keyboard.
Does not work e.g. in iMessages or Notes (it just stays in the numeric mode after space).

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
It’s a bit counterintuitive at first.

But it does work and is faster than switching fully to the numerical keyboard.

I wish they’d done a video or gif of this as I know many will think it’s not working for them.

Reactions: SantaFeNM

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
If this thread is going to be a keyboard tips-and-tricks compendium then I’ll add something that took me years to learn.

If you hold your thumb on the space key it activates the cursor offset without your finger being in the way of the text block.

Indeed. It's like holding down the space bar to move the cursor and easily correct words - a hidden, very useful feature.

Now, that’s useful.

The article's tip is cool, but it doesn't help if you want to type 2-digit or greater numbers! Then, it's a hindrance, not a help.

It also doesn't resolve a bigger issue. That is, the auto-switching back to the alphabetic keyboard. I'm often typing a string of numbers — e.g., 34, 56, 128 — and after each space, it goes back to the alphabet. A nuisance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.