Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iChrigu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2016
Schweiz
Hey guys!

Currently, my iPhone 6 auto-connects to my bluetooth speaker system when I get home and immediately switches the audio output to the speakers which is annoying when I just want to listen to a audio message, watch a short video or even get notifications.

How do I disable auto-pairing a bluetooth device? The iPhone should only connect to the speakers if I change the audio output in the control center or settings to the speakers for listening to some music.

Turning off/on bluetooth is not an option because it would disconnect my Apple Watch every time.

Hopefully you have a solution for me? It sounds so simple and im quite experienced with iOS but I'm probably just too stupid to find an option for this.

Thanks a lot!
Christian

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It's up to the device to automatically connect to your phone. Your speaker system is probably constantly looking for the phone and when it shows up, it pairs.

Check if there's a way to disable automatic pairing on the *speaker side*.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
If the speakers are always on, and they are paired with your phone, I don't think there is a way to prevent them from connecting when they come within range of each other. And when the phone connects to a BT device, it will automatically transfer audio to it (assuming it's a speaker). It's kind of how BT is supposed to work I think.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If the speakers are always on, and they are paired with your phone, I don't think there is a way to prevent them from connecting when they come within range of each other. And when the phone connects to a BT device, it will automatically transfer audio to it (assuming it's a speaker). It's kind of how BT is supposed to work I think.
My old BB, if IIRC, had an BT option to stop automatic bluetooth connections. That would be a great iphone feature, instead of "forgetting this device" to stop automatic connections.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I am having the same issue on my 7 running on iOS 11. I am on a call and if I walk within range of the Bluetooth speaker, the damn thing auto connects, redirecting audio to the speaker. Is there a toggle somewhere that prevents this?

billpennock

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
I am having the same issue on my 7 running on iOS 11. I am on a call and if I walk within range of the Bluetooth speaker, the damn thing auto connects, redirecting audio to the speaker. Is there a toggle somewhere that prevents this?

Similarly my office is near my garage. On occasion I think the call has disconnected but instead, while I'm talking, for no real good reason, it switches to the car. Once you are on a call or using the speakers or audio of the phone it should not switch unless you tell it too proactively. Anything else is just a nuisance.

pehenry

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
I have a 1200 dollar phone running sophisticated software. A BT speaker is stupid cheap.

There needs to be a setting in IOS to stop BT speakers from automatically connecting to my phone just because they happen to be on and in range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.