Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
A few weeks ago, I heard what sounded like a quiet clicking sound coming from inside my MacBook Pro. This has been recurring 1-2 times every week since then. It clicks only once at a time. It's a 2019 MacBook Pro 13 inch. My first thought was whether there might be issue with the hard drive, but the machine has an SSD, so there shouldn't be any moving parts, if I understand correctly? Do you have any experiences or ideas about what might be causing the sound?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Do you have any experiences or ideas about what might be causing the sound?
Possibly the internal cooling fan? Might be worth removing the bottom cover and checking whether you can blow out dust that may have collected inside. Could also be a speaker? Do the click sounds occur when the laptop is charging?

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
It might be the fan. I'm not sure if I have the right tools for removing the bottom but I will look into it. I doubt it's a speaker because the speakers volume is all the way down.

Do the click sounds occur when the laptop is charging?

To be honest, I don't remember, but I do keep my laptop plugged in most of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.