Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bentheminernz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
Hello,

I was trying the new assistive access mode in iOS 17 and I was curious what it was like. I locked the phone and it has gotten into this weird passcode menu... it has a grey background with a big input bar asking for a passcode except it shows up with a standard keyboard. No passcodes work not even the one I set for assistive access and for my iPhone, I can't escape this menu even if I reboot my iPhone and I can't access a mac right now... what do I do????

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Hello,

I was trying the new assistive access mode in iOS 17 and I was curious what it was like. I locked the phone and it has gotten into this weird passcode menu... it has a grey background with a big input bar asking for a passcode except it shows up with a standard keyboard. No passcodes work not even the one I set for assistive access and for my iPhone, I can't escape this menu even if I reboot my iPhone and I can't access a mac right now... what do I do????
Were you able to fix it?

thebitstick

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2020
Volume Up + Volume Down + Power Button.
This isn't explained anywhere and since it's only in the betas their documentation and manuals haven't been updated. I spent 3 minutes exploring this mode before trying to escape and spent 10 minutes searching things only to find this thread.

There's an upcoming Developer Session that might mention it but it comes out on June 9th.

Bentheminernz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
Volume Up + Volume Down + Power Button.
This isn't explained anywhere and since it's only in the betas their documentation and manuals haven't been updated. I spent 3 minutes exploring this mode before trying to escape and spent 10 minutes searching things only to find this thread.

There's an upcoming Developer Session that might mention it but it comes out on June 9th.
Yeah it puts you straight back into assistive access and I can’t wait till June 9th as this is my main phone. I ended up having to DFU restore my iPhone.

mgoliath

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2024
Hi, I am experiencing this problem ... I somehow waded into the ASSITIVE ACCESS setup process and I created a 4 digit pin (it prompted me for it twice) ... when io tried to EXIT it would not / still will not accept the 4 digit password that I am 500 % certain i have it correct ... this is a DISASTER ... I am totally stressed out as i cannot lose my data if I have to reset the device ... has anyone figured this out yet ?

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Did you set passcode recovery?

1713122528228.png

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

mgoliath

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2024
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for the quick response .. i did not set up password recovery ... I do hope that this was not a fatal error on my part

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
I fear that it might be, sorry. With no recovery option set and your Exit PIN not working, I don't think there's any other choice but to wipe the device and restore it from backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.