Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nowave7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2024
Hi all,

I just installed Big Sur (11.7.10) on mac pro 5,1 with OCLP (1.4.3) bundled in the installer. Everything went fine, the machine booted, and the OCLP detected that it booted from the USB, so it offered to build and install it to an internal driver, which I naturally did.
I shutdown the machine, took out the USB and then booted it back on, only to be stuck at the greyish screen.
After a new restart, this time holding the options key, I got into the boot picker where there were only two options present, the EFI and the Big Sur. Selecting the EFI makes the machine freeze, and nothing else works other than restarting it.
Any ideas what it could be? I'm thinking dirty EFI partition, but I'm unsure as to how to erase it?
Worth noting is that once the USB is back in the machine and selected as the boot option, the machine starts without any issue.
Thanks!

nowave7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2024
Something else I tried, is to add another internal drive, and install OCLP onto it, but the end result is the same, it is just stuck at loading the EFI Boot.
Just as an illustration, here's a photo of what the problem looks like

Attachments

• IMG_3832.jpg
    IMG_3832.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 27

aj19876

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2024
At initially boot, you said Open Core offered to install onto the SSD; it should have also prompted you to do root patching. The prompt may not have appeared for you, but you still need to manually do root patching.

If you want to access the EFI partition, you can do that via terminal:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.