Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
Hey everyone. I am noticing that minutes after putting Mac Studio to sleep, that the fans within the Studio Displays turn on, despite the computer remaining asleep and the screens of the Studio Displays remaining off. The only way to tell is to put your ear close to the vents on the top left of the display. There you can hear the faint sound of the fan spinning and also feel the exhaust.

I originally thought this was a product of a Thunderbolt 4 hub keeping some signal alive between it and the Studio Displays, so I removed that and still had the issue. Then I thought maybe its a result of these little magnetic quick-disconnect USB-C adapters, so I removed those and still had the issue. Figured I'd see if anyone else notices this too. My displays are running the latest firmware and my Mac is up to date.

KandiMountain

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2022
Yep, there is definitely something going on in the display as soon as it‘s connected to a power outlet (I hear some additional faint crackling/buzzingwhen Inplace my ear at the side of the display, though much less/slower than during usage). I guess the fans are still running – not sure if all the time, but I also felt air moving at least once when I thought the display was off.

I was pondering installation of a switch to my wall socket (the display‘s plug & cable is tucked away under the desk, so pretty hard to reach), but then again I‘m not sure if that would increase the risk of dust settling inside the monitor…?

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
Right. I'm not too sure what a good solution is either. It's odd that the Studio Display is "on" with its screen off, especially when the Mac connected is asleep. Shutting down the Mac resulted in the Studio Display not behaving like this. Seems like the sleep bugs in Monterey are also effecting the Studio Displays.

I don't want to sound like the usual riff-raff here on the forums, but, man, what in the world is happening to the quality of software coming out of Cupertino? This annual major release cycle needs to end asap. Give us quality major releases and people won't mind paying for them.

KandiMountain

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2022
Shutting down the Mac resulted in the Studio Display not behaving like this.
Oh, OK, that‘s not the case for me. I always shut down the MBP completely and I still hear a bit of noise when I put my ear at the display edge/back & feel the air coming out at the top.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
Interesting! I will test again. It was late at night when I went to check the sleep issue again and then got frustrated and just shut it down. I don’t recall if I checked a few minutes later for studio display fan activity. I’ll follow up again

Reactions: KandiMountain

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
With just limited testing, shutting down Mac Studio while still connected to a powered thunderbolt 4 hub to two Studio Displays didn’t result in the displays having any fans running.

I did notice that when I connected my MacBook Pro this morning for work, that once it chimed to make a sound confirming it was charging, that both displays had fan activity. The MacBook Pro was connected while in a sleep state. I suspect this is normal as a result of the charging aspect.

With that said, maybe it’s a battery/power management issue, beyond system prefs settings, that’s occurring for you?

KandiMountain

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2022
Interesting – thanks for checking again. I don‘t have a clue what‘s going on there. Just checked again with the connected MBP being shut down for hours, I am not 100% I can feel the fans, but there is definitely some slight sounds still audible at the side/top.

Also, I have noticed inconsistent behavior regarding charging during that state: normally when I connect an iPhone to the ASD via USB-C it doesn‘t charge until MBP & ASD are on again, then a few days back it did charge in that same scenario. Maybe the MBP was woken up by something, maybe it‘s some ASD power magic that might be fixed at some point… I still have a pending support issue about my ASD‘s faint noises, but to be honest the more I hear about yellowish displays & deliveries being pushed 2 months into the future, the more I‘m willing to just accept my ASD for the great display it is and just be happy with it. ?

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
Agreed. Maybe it’s a software bug that’ll get fixed otherwise it is what it is. I have Apple Care so if something goes wrong it’ll be fixed up.

Reactions: KandiMountain

KandiMountain

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2022
Do they have a page for the Studio Display as well? Never submitted any feedback to Apple over that channel.

danbalsh

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2003
Having the same 'issue' this thread on Apple Support explains what we've tried so far, I need to get back in touch with them actually!

I've not tested this myself, but the power draw (when idle) is really high, which makes me think it's not going into a lower power mode... can't see any reason why the fans need to be on when it's 'off' and charging a Mac.

Reactions: Johnf1285

danbalsh

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2003
Has anyone been brave enough to install the Beta software, and seen if this fixes this issue?

Babobaer

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2022
Solution to turn off the Mac Studio fan in sleep mode:

When I set my Mac Studio Max to sleep mode, the fan was continue running quiet. It was annoying, because the Mac was sleeping but I can´t sleep. So I disabled "ask siri" in the Mac settings and restarted the Mac. When I set to sleep again, the fans turned off.

danbalsh

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2003
Just giving this quick bump, as I know more people will have their displays now....

My fans run constantly, but I've seen so many posts saying they cannot hear them... is this normal? I've got AppleCare with the display, so potentially could take it in for them to check it, but don't want to waste my time if it's 'normal'

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
I’ve noticed a few instances now where the fans on the Studio Display were not running while the attached Mac was asleep. There’s been no rhyme or reason to this. I am not running the beta release firmware of the displays, either.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
So far it looks like this may be resolved in macOS 12.5. When the connected Mac sleeps, the display now actually sleeps/powers down to at least the point in which the fan is no longer running and exhaust air cannot be felt through the top left vent. Let’s see if this behavior is consistent. 🤞

Reactions: danbalsh

danbalsh

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2003
So far it looks like this may be resolved in macOS 12.5. When the connected Mac sleeps, the display now actually sleeps/powers down to at least the point in which the fan is no longer running and exhaust air cannot be felt through the top left vent. Let’s see if this behavior is consistent. 🤞
oooh this sounds good!

Reactions: satcomer

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Do you guys have Hey Siri enabled? The A13 would always have to be running in the background.

danbalsh

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2003
Do you guys have Hey Siri enabled? The A13 would always have to be running in the background.
Nope, I'm thinking something is either a) broken with the display, and it doesn't know when to power down... or b) something is wrong with macOS, maybe a re-install will solve it...

Really frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.