Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Need_Advice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2020
I’m a photographer, currently working on a MBP 16“ 2019 with an Eizo CS2420 and I‘m going to upgrade to a Mac Studio M3 Max when it comes out.

For the whole new experience I‘m considering a new screen as well. Although I know Eizo, BenQ and other monitors are way more suitable when it comes to photography due to the Adobe RGB space, I‘m still leaning towards the Studio Display.

I‘ve read a lot of threads with similar discussions. Almost everyone recommends to buy a screen with 99% Adobe RGB, but has anyone thought about the following yet? The photos you‘re editing on a Studio Display will look (almost) the same on iPhones, iPads, MacBooks and iMacs. You can be sure that your photo will look very similar for people owning an Apple device. Of course, if your intend is not to print. When I edit my photos on the above mentioned Eizo, they look more different on my iPhone compared to edited on the MBP‘s internal screen. That is due to the lack of contrast ratio of the Eizo, which has, in real world, about 700:1.

In the price range of the Studio Display I personally see only 2 alternatives:

Eizo CS2740
BenQ S272U

The pros and cons, in my eyes are:

Eizo CS2740
+ 99% Adobe RGB
+ 10-bit
+ hardware calibration
- only 30 Hz @ 4k
- contrast ratio 850:1
(- scaling issues?)

BenQ S272U
+ 99% Adobe RGB
+ hardware calibration
- only 8-bit + FRC
- 820:1 contrast ratio, only 600:1 when Uniformity is turned on
(- scaling issues?)

Studio Display
+ 60 Hz @ 5k
+ compatibility with Apple devices (scaling)
+ results look almost the same on other Apple Devices
+ probably higher contrast ratio (wasn‘t able to find any real world measurements)
- only P3, not suitable for print
- only 8-bit + FRC

Please note: the contrast ratios are from measurements I‘ve read in tests. On paper, all three deliver 1000:1.

What are your thoughts?

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
The Apple Studio display is designed to be used one computer over Thunderbolt. If you need to attach more than one computer then any other option is probably going to be more convenient.

Need_Advice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2020
The Apple Studio display is designed to be used one computer over Thunderbolt. If you need to attach more than one computer then any other option is probably going to be more convenient.
I‘m struggling to understand your post. I did not mention that I intend to connect the monitor to multiple devices.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
There will always be scaling issues unless it’s an Apple display. May I recommend checking out Asus ProArt displays? Seems to be exactly what you’re looking for.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
There will always be scaling issues unless it’s an Apple display. May I recommend checking out Asus ProArt displays? Seems to be exactly what you’re looking for.
Two years ago I did exactly that, and took delivery of the 32" ProArt. But while waiting for it I watched a few videos about scaling/text, 4K vs 5K. Took delivery of the Asus, but didn't open the box; I researched and read, looked out the window and paced about. A week later I returned the ProArt and ordered the ASD. A lot more money, and a smaller screen, but it's fine and the cost has been forgotten; I had this sneaking suspicion I'd notice, or think I could notice, less-sharp text every day when I turned it on otherwise.
Like the OP, I only look at my photos on Apple things, don't print anything anymore, so the color space and the total brightness mean nothing to me (I'm just a retired hobbyist). Good luck on your decision, and let us know!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.